where to stay off site?

DisneyChristian

Earning my Mouse Ears
We have never stayed off site before so I am unfamiliar with planning such a Disney Vacation. With so many different options, it is a bit overwhelming. With ticket prices so expensive now, we are looking at ways to save money. We thought driving down and staying off site would help. Our group would consist of two families one adult with children 6 & 4 yrs old and one adult with child 14 yrs old. I was hoping to find something close to the parks with free reliable shuttle service and free parking. I have read that you can get a AAA parking pass for all the Parks for the entire stay so if that is true maybe we would not necessarily need shuttles? We are thinking about going during Nov or Dec, avoiding the Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks obviously. We are hoping that time of year will be less expensive plus we would get a chance to enjoy the Christmas festivities in the Parks.

Also, what are some good websites to book discounted rates off site with?

Forgive me, it has been nearly 10 years since I last went to Disney World so I am extremely out of practice and a lot has changed.

Thank you for all the help!

We've stayed off-site using vacation rental homes. Look at VRBO.com and you'll find loads of options for good prices. With a larger group like you have, a 2-4 bedroom house would be nice to have and gives you a lot of room. We've stayed at Emerald Island and Windsor Hills both of which are very nice and very close to the parks. There are no shuttle services from there though, but if you are driving down, you might want to consider just driving to the parks. You do have to pay to park, but that is pretty easily offset by the savings on lodging. I have heard even for off-site places with shuttles that they aren't always the most convenient or speedy way to get to and from the parks.

I believe the AAA partnership is gone as is that pass.

Closest with best shuttle is Disney Springs hotels but there are fees with most. DisneySpringsHotels.com
Some discounts can be found direct on their websites and through Mousesavers that may also waive some fees.

When looking at hotels ALWAYS verify these things about their shuttles:
Is a reservation required so you are locked into a time? Is there a charge for the shuttle? And look at the limitation of the schedule?
Note that most will take you to TTC or Epcot where you will have to transfer to another form of transportation.
For myself I would add that $20 parking into my lodging ($10 per family) and drive for the time savings and flexibility.

Next up would be .... what kind of lodging? And what do you want to spend per night?
2 Hotel rooms
2 Suites
Larger Suite
Condo style
House

That will help folks narrow where they direct you since there are so many options.

I spent the other night at the Home2 Suites by Hilton in Lake Buena Vista the other night and really liked the hotel. Clean, modern with free parking. It's a WDW partner hotel so there was a free shuttle. The rooms have a kitchenette with a decent size fridge, microwave, and dishwasher.

Next up would be .... what kind of lodging? And what do you want to spend per night?
2 Hotel rooms
2 Suites
Larger Suite
Condo style
House

That will help folks narrow where they direct you since there are so many options.

We are trying to find the least expensive option but at the same time most convenient (close to the parks, clean, no bugs, polite employees, extra perks, least amount of hidden fees, etc)

I think a 2 room villa, condo, or suite would work well. My little ones would probably be scared to sleep alone so they would probably sleep with me anyways. If the other room had two beds, that would work for the other family or a pull out couch or something. 2 hotel rooms is a good idea too if the combined cost was less than a villa/condo/suite.

It is just shocking how much more the cost has gone up since the last time I went. We had 2 adults and 2 children and the cost for staying onsite with 10 day tickets and dining plus airfare was only $2000 now just 7 day tickets for 5 people is $2000. It is insane.

Biggest bang for your buck is going to be renting a house or condo. There are hundreds of 2 and 3 bedroom condos and 3 or more bedroom houses available for rent in the area. You can find those as cheap as about $70/night.

Forget about shuttle service. It just isn't good. If you're driving down, you'll have your own car. Use it. Parking is $20/day. It might be worth having one person buy an annual pass. That includes parking, PhotoPass photos, and 10% or 20% discounts on merchandise and lots of dining locations. With 5 people, that could really add up to significant savings, along with the $140 you'll save just on parking alone. And you'll get all the photos from the rides and PhotoPass photographers.

Yep, with a group your size, you need a 3 bedroom condo or townhouse. You can find them for $80-$90/night all in (taxes and fees included), maybe even a bit less. Use VRBO, the choices are endless.

Use your car, forget shuttles.

I highly recommend Windsor Hills as a great offsite resort. They have 2-3 bedroom condos and 4-6 bedroom houses, many with private pools, game rooms, Disney theming, etc. Houses are very affordable (as an example, we are paying $1800 for 8 nights for a 6 bedroom house this November -- sharing between 2 families). You can also buy groceries and save a ton of money on food if you eat breakfast at the house and pack lunches/snacks to take into the parks. Good luck!

www.windsorhillsrent.com or www.vrbo.com

My suggestions:
1. Staybridge Suites LBV. Hotel, not timeshare, full kitchen, 1 or 2 bedrooms (2 full baths with the 2 bedrooms) and living room area. Free breakfast (and happy hour Mon-Wed IIRC). Walk to a 'real' grocery store, Crossroads w/McDonalds and chain restaurants, easy 'back-roads' (sort of) to Disney - very close except to AK. Cons: exterior corridors so no balcony; boring pool but reviews on tripadvisor say fun (does also have a hot tub).
2. Windsor Hills (I'd use an agent - been burned by direct with owners - don't think recommendations are permitted on Dis for agents). Very close to AK via backroads, condos, townhouses and full pool homes for less than a value/mod/deluxe (respectively) onsite. Long pool slide. Close to tons of restaurants and not that far from a Publix. Very easy drive to all the parks down World Dr. Gated community - very safe. Example for late Aug (low season pricing): $90/night condos (which are near the community pool/slide); $110 3 bed/3 bath townhouse (small splash pool); $200 pool houses (4+ bedrooms). All have full kitchens, TVs, at least 2 bathrooms. It is far more sedate than staying onsite - its like staying in a suburb. Could be what you want, or not! Very easy for 2 families to share a townhouse b/c there is a full bed/bath on the 1st floor (and the other 2 beds/2baths on 2nd floor).
Google map these 2 places and you'll see the location.
Forget relying on shuttles or offsite hotels' buses. Renting at MCO or Tampa airport is pretty inexpensive off season. Just pay to park at the parks - that $20 (or whatever it is now) a day is so worth the convenience with kids. If none of you drive I'd budget for Uber/Lyft.
ETA: SVR and SV villages - the Dis sponsor has great discounted rates. Tons of fun pools, full kitchen/multiple (or 1) bedroom units. Definitely rent a car.

Are you doing a full week Fri - Fri, Sat - Sat, Sun-Sun?? IF so, I really like doing condo rentals from timeshare owners on sites like TUG2.net classified ads section and Redweek.com (sign in as guest and pay the $10 or $15 fee if you see something you'd like to book). A three bedroom at Cypress Point or Cypress Point Grand Villas I'm thinking could work well for you. A two bedroom at Sheraton Vistana resort (these sleep eight), I think could work well for you too. I'm mentioning these two as they usually have good availability

These are great resorts, but really and truly at a condo resort a car is going to be your best bet (minimal shuttle times).

Last edited:
We have never stayed off site before so I am unfamiliar with planning such a Disney Vacation. With so many different options, it is a bit overwhelming. With ticket prices so expensive now, we are looking at ways to save money. We thought driving down and staying off site would help. Our group would consist of two families one adult with children 6 & 4 yrs old and one adult with child 14 yrs old. I was hoping to find something close to the parks with free reliable shuttle service and free parking. I have read that you can get a AAA parking pass for all the Parks for the entire stay so if that is true maybe we would not necessarily need shuttles? We are thinking about going during Nov or Dec, avoiding the Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks obviously. We are hoping that time of year will be less expensive plus we would get a chance to enjoy the Christmas festivities in the Parks.

Also, what are some good websites to book discounted rates off site with?

Forgive me, it has been nearly 10 years since I last went to Disney World so I am extremely out of practice and a lot has changed.

Thank you for all the help!
Hilton Bonnet Creek (not the Disney Springs one) is located within the WDW gates, offers complimentary shuttles to and from the theme parks, and has a great pool complex that includes lazy river and water slide. It's reasonably priced- just remember when pricing options there that they tack on a daily $30 resort fee. But that's a very good hotel to look at. It's only a few years old.

Are you doing a full week Fri - Fri, Sat - Sat, Sun-Sun?? IF so, I really like doing condo rentals from timeshare owners on sites like TUG2.net classified ads section and Redweek.com (sign in as guest and pay the $10 or $15 fee if you see something you'd like to book). A three bedroom at Cypress Point or Cypress Point Grand Villas I'm thinking could work well for you. A two bedroom at Sheraton Vistana resort (these sleep eight), I think could work well for you too. I'm mentioning these two as they usually have good availability

These are great resorts, but really and truly at a condo resort a car is going to be your best bet (minimal shuttle times).

We were looking at arriving on a Monday and leaving the following Tues. I have heard great things about Orange Lake too. We really need to find something under $100 a night preferably. I will check out those sites and see what we can find. Thank you.

Hilton Bonnet Creek (not the Disney Springs one) is located within the WDW gates, offers complimentary shuttles to and from the theme parks, and has a great pool complex that includes lazy river and water slide. It's reasonably priced- just remember when pricing options there that they tack on a daily $30 resort fee. But that's a very good hotel to look at. It's only a few years old.

I was looking at the Bonnet Creek area but everything looked over $200 a night and we cannot afford that. Also, I do not think the Hilton Bonnet Creek has suites. I would love to stay in the Bonnet Creek area though if it was affordable. It looks beautiful and I think it is the closest to the parks.

We really need to find something under $100 a night preferably.
You can absolutely rent for under $100/night. 3 of our last 4 trips we rented houses in Crestwynd Bay. 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, full kitchen, washer/dryer, etc. Last trip, we paid $68/night.

You can absolutely rent for under $100/night. 3 of our last 4 trips we rented houses in Crestwynd Bay. 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, full kitchen, washer/dryer, etc. Last trip, we paid $68/night.
But most of the places I looked (vrbo, airbnb, homeaway) tack on a $90 cleaning fee. I'm not the OP, but I'm also looking for advice. We are only staying off site 2 nights. I have a hard time paying $70/night PLUS security deposit of $200 PLUS cleaning fee of $90. All of a sudden two nights is costing me $430 upfront!

When looking at hotels ALWAYS verify these things about their shuttles:
Is a reservation required so you are locked into a time? Is there a charge for the shuttle? And look at the limitation of the schedule?
Note that most will take you to TTC or Epcot where you will have to transfer to another form of transportation.

Also how many other hotels does it service?

But most of the places I looked (vrbo, airbnb, homeaway) tack on a $90 cleaning fee. I'm not the OP, but I'm also looking for advice. We are only staying off site 2 nights. I have a hard time paying $70/night PLUS security deposit of $200 PLUS cleaning fee of $90. All of a sudden two nights is costing me $430 upfront!

For just 2 nights, that is not an economical option. I would recommend using booking.com or one of the hotel booking websites. For only 2 nites, it would make sense for a hotel, not a house. Caribe Royale may be a good option to look at. There are alot of options out there for you. For only 2 nights I would not recommend renting a house at all. The OP is looking for off-site hotel for their entire stay which is more than 2 days.

My go to hotel is Buena Vista Suites. The free hot American Breakfast more than makes up for the parking fee. Its also just off property. You can almost see the entrance sign from it.

I would recommend the Best Western Premier Saratoga Springs Resort Villas. They have 2 and 3 bedroom villas with a full kitchen along with a nice pool and jacuzzi. No free breakfast is included but they're within walking distance of a Super Target. They do offer free parking and free shuttles to the theme park. They are a Disney good neighbor hotel as well.

http://www.saratogaresortvillas.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter