• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to stay Los Angeles/how to structure trip

minnie1012

DIS Veteran
We are headed to LA this summer flying into LAX. We are going to Disneyland and Los Angeles, moving hotels Anaheim to LA. We did this trip in 2019 but would like to do some different things. Last time we stood at the Universal Hilton and we liked it and the location but we aren't doing Universal this time so wondering if there is a hotel that would work better. I see hotels in Burbank, Glendale etc but are those good for tourists or are they more business type hotels? Should we stick with the Universal hotel because of location? If they are open we would probably do a studio tour (we did Warner Bros last time), Academy of Motion Picture Museum, LACMA, Griffith Observatory, The Grove, Santa Monica 3rd Street Promenade and a beach day (not sure what beach). Should we move hotels again and stay by the beach or just drive from one of our locations? Any other suggestions for things to do, my daughters are 18 & 14? They aren't big ride people so no other amusement parks. My husband is also not thrilled with all the museums and shopping! lol

Not necessarily a huge recommendation - but since I (also) just did a trip to LA:

If by any chance your husband (or anyone in your family, for that matter) is into cars, the Petersen Auto Museum is right across the street from the Academy Museum (not far from LACMA), and has a really fun collection. They've got a big Bond film exhibit right now (a bunch of movie-used vehicles), which I really enjoyed. (Not sure how long that exhibit runs.) If it seems like he's burning out on the fine arts, an hour there might be a good antidote. :D

Also, FYI - the old Toy Story rotating zoetrope that was in DCA for many years is now at the Academy Museum (and operating).

Not necessarily a huge recommendation - but since I (also) just did a trip to LA:

If by any chance your husband (or anyone in your family, for that matter) is into cars, the Petersen Auto Museum is right across the street from the Academy Museum (not far from LACMA), and has a really fun collection. They've got a big Bond film exhibit right now (a bunch of movie-used vehicles), which I really enjoyed. (Not sure how long that exhibit runs.) If it seems like he's burning out on the fine arts, an hour there might be a good antidote. :D

Also, FYI - the old Toy Story rotating zoetrope that was in DCA for many years is now at the Academy Museum (and operating).
Yes thank you so much, he would like that!

If you’re doing the Fairfax area stuff (Petersen/LACMA/Tar Pits) maybe consider a nice hotel in West Hollywood or Beverly Hills and do some of the touristy “homes of the stars” tours or check out classic Hollywood landmarks as well. It’s not too far from the museums. Beverly Hills and the Hollywood Hills are right there and fun to drive around and look at houses.

the Farmers Market and the Grove are over there.

If you’re doing the Fairfax area stuff (Petersen/LACMA/Tar Pits) maybe consider a nice hotel in West Hollywood or Beverly Hills and do some of the touristy “homes of the stars” tours or check out classic Hollywood landmarks as well. It’s not too far from the museums. Beverly Hills and the Hollywood Hills are right there and fun to drive around and look at houses.

the Farmers Market and the Grove are over there.
Thank you. I'm actually having trouble finding hotels with 2 queen beds. A lot are double beds.

Check out the Andaz West Hollywood, they offer 2 queens. But maybe AirBnB would be better and you can get one in an area void of hotels but closer to places you want to see.

I stayed at the brand new Godfrey Hotel in Hollywood this past November and really enjoyed it. While the rooms are on the smaller side, it's a brand new, luxury property just 2 blocks from the Walk of Fame and all of the Hollywood sights.
Otherwise the Loews Hollywood Hotel is also really great; that's the hotel that ABD uses for the Hollywood portion of their Backstage Magic trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter