Where to go to the beach?

taylorf

Earning My Ears
We want to spend the day at the beach and were wondering where to go?

Thanks,

Forrest

taylorf ... welcome to DIS!

I don't know about specific beaches, but Orlando is smack-dab in the middle of the state. The Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico are about the same distance away. Personally, I prefer the Gulf beaches. The sand is softer and the water less wild. But, it's fun on the Atlantic side too. You can add the Kennedy Space Center and Ron Jon's Surf Shop onto your day.

Thanks for the information. I guess it is about 1.5 hours to either coast?

Thanks again,

Forrest

I can't get the link to show right, but if you do a search on "sanibel beach" there was a good long thread about it back a few months ago. That's where we've decided to go. I know, also, that people who are going to the Kennedy Space Center often go on to Cocoa Beach. Good luck!
Terri the Yoopermom

Thanks for the info Terri,

Sanibel looks to be about 4 hours away. A little far for day tripping. I think we may head to Cocoa so we can run by the Space Center. Looks to be about an hour and 15 minutes away.

Thanks again,

Forrest

Cocoa, Smyrna and Daytona are all good 'day-tripping' beaches from Orlando (although the water tends to be a bit rougher and cooler than the Gulf Coast). Daytona also has an awful lot of attractions in its own right (check out www.daytonabeach.com).

My favourite, though, is the Clearwater/St Pete's area of the Gulf Coast. It is the best part of 2 hours from Orlando but boasts some truly superb (and extremely family-friendly) beaches, like Fort De Soto, Caladesi Island and Clearwater Beach itself. Check out www.floridasbeach.com for the full story. Well worthwhile.

I like Clearwater/St. Pete beach. Clean big beaches and nice hotels, also it's not really crowded.

:pinkbounc

Here's another vote for the Clearwater Beach area. We usually stay there after Disney and fly home from either Tampa Int. or St. Petersburg/Clearwater Airport.

Driving on the beach in Daytona is an experience I'll never forget. yes, it is a little "touristy" but I like it. The beach is so wide and if you see something you like, pull over in the sand and check it out.

We went up to Daytona Beach for the day on Oct 16th. We wanted to see the Daytona Speedway. We did go to Daytona Beach as well. It is very neat to drive on the beach ($5 charge). The beach backs up to a lot of mom & pop motels that have been there for years so it looks a little seedy in areas. The day we were there it was very very windy. That made it too cool for actual swimming for us. There were people in bathing suits that were swimming. Brrrrr!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter