Where to go in SD for Halloween?

ExcitedMama

DIS Veteran
I just found out that DH has more work trips coming up in SD and one of them is going to be during Halloween. Is there a fun safe neighborhood to take the kids for trick or treating? Any other fun Halloween events to check out?

Well some scary haunted houses and the haunted trail at Balboa Park. But too scary for younger kids. I think they do a wider variety at the fairgrounds but not sure. Otherwise, many malls hand out candy, and plenty of nice neighborhoods to take kids. The trick is finding a nice neighborhood that isn't gated, sometimes a neighborhood close to a gated one.

Legoland and Sea World have Halloween things. You may need to buy a special ticket for legoland brick or treat.

As far as neighborhoods go, just find one where the houses are close together and the streets are well lit. It's amazing how many people go dark for halloween and don't participate. If the houses are close together, at least it isn't a far walk to the next one. When I lived in Clairemont, we had tons of people trick or treating, including van loads from Mexico - adults would trick or treat, too. I've been out of that area for 20+ years now, so I don't know if it is still like that.

What part of town are you staying at? If you are near Coronado Island, that may be a nice place to trick or treat because it's just a nice place any time or season.

Thanks! We are staying in Mission Valley. Is that just a touristy area or is there a place there for trick or treating? My oldest is not happy about being gone for Halloween so I need to make sure to have a plan so he's not let down.

I would think your best plan would be to go to Brick-or-Treat or another big event like that. Neighborhoods are so hit or miss, you would have to drive around and look for one with lots of kids out. When I lived in Clairemont we got tons of trick-or-treaters, when I lived in La Mesa we got none.

Thanks! We are staying in Mission Valley. Is that just a touristy area or is there a place there for trick or treating? My oldest is not happy about being gone for Halloween so I need to make sure to have a plan so he's not let down.

How old is oldest? Here is a list of various things, take a look. And see. Some fun things for somewhat younger kids is Bates Nut Farm, or the Old Timey place in Julian, if you have a car rental.
http://www.kpbs.org/events/halloween/

I'd just go up the hill on the south side of Mission Valley to Mission Hills or North park. Both are older neighborhoods and have more traditional type homes.

Coronado does Halloween very well. North Park community also has blocks that are simply swarming with kids. One year, before we moved closer to Balboa Park, we went through 7 Costco sized bags in about 90 minutes... We head back over to our old neighborhood these days. Best bet, find the schools in these communities on Google Maps and walk the neighborhoods around them.

I live in North Park, and it seems to be less and less Tricker Treaters here. My work hours are not good for tricker treaters, so we don’t participate. I have heard Coronado is still awesome though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!