Where is the best place, on board, to observe departure from a port?

Steamboat Willy

Earning My Ears
As new cruisers we look forward to our cruise. Where is the best place, in your opinion, to view departure as we sail away. We will be on the Disney Fantasy. We will not have friends or relatives on shore that we must make eye contact with or be seen by. Just look'n for the wide view of the Fantasy as our Captain does his magic.

As new cruisers we look forward to our cruise. Where is the best place, in your opinion, to view departure as we sail away. We will be on the Disney Fantasy. We will not have friends or relatives on shore that we must make eye contact with or be seen by. Just look'n for the wide view of the Fantasy as our Captain does his magic.
I like starboard side of deck 12 above the pool. That is the area that the live camera they use for portcanaveralwebcam.com uses to live stream shows every Saturday when the Fantasy is sailing away. So if you have friends or family at home, they may be able to see you sailing away for a week of amazement.

We like to be on Deck 10 forward at the rail (Magic and Wonder). It's a neat perspective and you get to see the same thing they're seeing in the bridge when you leave port. Plus they come by there frequently with the drink of the day...

NOTE: Deck 13 forward on the Dream / Fantasy is adults only.

I like the deck above the pool mid ship - can participate in the sail away party, and have access to both sides of the ship (at your leisure) as the ship is pulling away.

NOTE: Deck 13 forward on the Dream / Fantasy is adults only.

True, however during sailaway it seems that there's no objection to folks standing at the rail for the 10-15 minutes it takes to clear the channel.

I like starboard side of deck 12 above the pool. That is the area that the live camera they use for portcanaveralwebcam.com uses to live stream shows every Saturday when the Fantasy is sailing away. So if you have friends or family at home, they may be able to see you sailing away for a week of amazement.

This would be us as well - on the outside railing on deck 12 above the pool deck area
We also like being right up front on deck 13, but it can be quite windy. Also note that this area is part of the "adults only" area, so no kids please. :-)

True, however during sailaway it seems that there's no objection to folks standing at the rail for the 10-15 minutes it takes to clear the channel.
I disagree that there's no objection, and believe that there are definitely objections.....I think the larger problem is that many parent have decided that it's OK for MY kids to be here even though the sign says adults only... creating a situation where there are sometimes a lot of kids up there. Ii have seen DCL cast members tell parents that this is an adults only area and ask them to take their kids elsewhere. Things would be much simpler if everyone just obeyed the signs for the adults only areas.

I liked being on the deck 12 around the railings starboard waving at everyone lined up at the restaurants and beach.

Yep we did this last month leaving PC on the Dream - lots of people waving at the ship from shore - too cool!

I disagree that there's no objection, and believe that there are definitely objections.....I think the larger problem is that many parent have decided that it's OK for MY kids to be here even though the sign says adults only... creating a situation where there are sometimes a lot of kids up there. Ii have seen DCL cast members tell parents that this is an adults only area and ask them to take their kids elsewhere. Things would be much simpler if everyone just obeyed the signs for the adults only areas.

I'm simply stating what I observe when I'm there during sailaway. I've never seen a crew member ask parents to remove their kids from that location during sailaway, though the crew has become much more vigilant in enforcing the adults only areas the remainder of the cruise - and rightly so. Most families with kids are watching the show midship. If a few wander up there for a few minutes my attitude is no harm, no foul.

If you depart from PC: We like to get the AFT view, starboard.

Why?

As you are passing by the last beach visible at the end of PC there's some kind of "pointe", a trail formed with big rocks. Look around it and keep looking in that direction until it disappears completely.

Every single time we are passing by that "pointe" we spot dolphins swimming "in the wild"...

There is nothing more magical that that.

Last edited:
I'm simply stating what I observe when I'm there during sailaway. I've never seen a crew member ask parents to remove their kids from that location during sailaway, though the crew has become much more vigilant in enforcing the adults only areas the remainder of the cruise - and rightly so. Most families with kids are watching the show midship. If a few wander up there for a few minutes my attitude is no harm, no foul.

I have seen them at the stairs reminding people that it is an adult only area - but when parents pretend they don't hear and keep walking, the CMs are loathe to say anything because then the parents will complain and make a stink.

My last Fantasy cruise I saw a family going that direction - clearly speaking unaccented English so they could NOT claim a language issue - and the CM gently reminded them that it was adults only. The parents kept walking. The KID tried to do the right thing and one even said "We're not allowed" but the father turned around, took the kid's hand, and said "We can all come up here if we want. Let's go." and kept going.

I have seen them at the stairs reminding people that it is an adult only area - but when parents pretend they don't hear and keep walking, the CMs are loathe to say anything because then the parents will complain and make a stink.

My last Fantasy cruise I saw a family going that direction - clearly speaking unaccented English so they could NOT claim a language issue - and the CM gently reminded them that it was adults only. The parents kept walking. The KID tried to do the right thing and one even said "We're not allowed" but the father turned around, took the kid's hand, and said "We can all come up here if we want. Let's go." and kept going.

My favorite type of parents... Not. :crazy2:

Don't get me wrong: I love kids. But I LOVE the adult only spaces on the ships.

On the Fantasy and Dream we like to be sitting on the Meridian verandah. Great views and a nice martini menu. Or order a glass of champagne, watching as you pull out of port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!