Where do you think DVC resale prices are headed?

I'm still in for more points if prices drop dramatically. Like....2009 - 2011 drops.

Disney will not stay in the dumper for the length of a contract. I can weather a few storms.

However, if prices remain strong, I will likely try to get point transfers in the short term and see how things go. (Already a member with blue card) Or maybe even take advantage of some discounts that they may throw out for a stay at a mod or something. We do still love POR. We just like 2 rooms now.

I'm also a tad bit interested in Reflections. So, if I haven't added on before that opens, I may buy a contract there direct that will keep my kids as blue card holders well into their later years if they still have interest. Right now, our blue card status will expire in 2042. And if they are essentially being given our contracts, I can't imagine them being upset if it has crappy resale value.

6/1 update

number of newly posted resale contracts at about 140-160% of average*

* Aggregating site is not updating so lower level is directly observed, upper level includes what is would typically only observed through the aggregating site.

The near perfect (for us) AKV contract posted this morning. But now I'm just really concerned with buying anything like this at the moment. Oh well, there will always be more contracts!

The near perfect (for us) AKV contract posted this morning. But now I'm just really concerned with buying anything like this at the moment. Oh well, there will always be more contracts!
That’s what I have to keep reminding myself. There will always be more contracts if I do feel comfortable buying in the future.

6/1 update: number of newly posted resale contracts at about 140-160% of average*
Demand for DVC will remain very high, but the number of people who are ready to sell will also remain high. This will probably continue into next year, when everyone who has points they didn't use in March, April, May, June and July will be out trying to use their points, and finding slim pickings. So frustration will push a few more people to market.

However, I don't expect prices to drop too far. I think 20% is too much. And they will probably be back up again by next Summer or next Fall. For most properties.

Since there is an increased proportion of longer term contract holders in the 'Legacy 2042' properties, and those people tend to be older (because the have owned longer), it wouldn't surprise me to see a disproportionate number of the Legacy 42 contracts hit the market. This would tend to push down the price for those. So, perhaps Boardwalk and Yacht Club might become significantly lower. Perhaps a bigger drop than the newer DVC properties. But I don't even expect that, though I do expect a somewhat bigger long term drop in those properties now.

First post. WDW vet, DVC noob. Thank you to everyone here who by your posts have helped me come to an agreement on our first contract - a fair deal at PVB sent to ROFR today. Going over to that thread now to try and figure out the string mechanics.

First post. WDW vet, DVC noob. Thank you to everyone here who by your posts have helped me come to an agreement on our first contract - a fair deal at PVB sent to ROFR today. Going over to that thread now to try and figure out the string mechanics.

congrats!!!

In the toilet. I am a loyal Disney fan. But the magic is gone. I don’t say this because of covid. I say this because Disney canceled our trip and than told us our points are gone. Yup that’s right' the points we booked for this summers trip “that they canceled “ that where banked in 2019 and used for this summer are gone. We understood the cancellation but they would not allow us to move the points to a next summer June trip, which is all we asked. Instead they said we would have to use them by February in this school year. We have kids and they have already missed to much school so no. So we will lose those points and thats their words not mine “we are sol”. They lady at Dvc said that it’s wrong but they have no option. So I guess the new ceo who said to “lead by example” means lead by greed and causing you loyal fans financial harm. So yes the points will lose value because they don’t value you or I as loyal family but as a pay check.

In the toilet. I am a loyal Disney fan. But the magic is gone. I don’t say this because of covid. I say this because Disney canceled our trip and than told us our points are gone. Yup that’s right' the points we booked for this summers trip “that they canceled “ that where banked in 2019 and used for this summer are gone. We understood the cancellation but they would not allow us to move the points to a next summer June trip, which is all we asked. Instead they said we would have to use them by February in this school year. We have kids and they have already missed to much school so no. So we will lose those points and thats their words not mine “we are sol”. They lady at Dvc said that it’s wrong but they have no option. So I guess the new ceo who said to “lead by example” means lead by greed and causing you loyal fans financial harm. So yes the points will lose value because they don’t value you or I as loyal family but as a pay check.
I’m so sorry you are losing points, but Disney is giving you a chance to use them and you are refusing because it doesn’t fit your family. The pandemic is not Disney’s fault, they are doing the best that they can.

There's no way to double bank points which in essence is what you want done. If they did that for you, they have to do that for everyone. That would result in too many points and not enough rooms. Your points aren't gone, they just aren't usable for the timeframe you want.

Depending on the amount you can use them to trade via RCI - maybe a short trip somewhere nearer to you? Or rent them out.

I understand your point but I didn’t cancel my trip. They did. That puts the burden of doing the right thing on them. If I had canceled the trip I would expect not a thing in return I now the rules. That’s not the case. They canceled my trip. I agree they are offering till February ie “ that’s when they expire” but that puts the burden of booking a trip in the school year on me and my kids. Since when have you heard of Disney canceling a two week trip. Never is my guess. I am not asking for some far out thing.
So if I don’t get those points for next summers trip I will be bitter and at every turn I will drain money from Disney at every opportunity. Ie steak wrong in the slightest I send back. Drink wrong in slightest I send back, I will be that customer who is bitter till I feel no-longer used.
Call me petty, that’s fine I work hard for my time on vacation and they in affect stole from me and my family so I will return the favor.

I understand your point but I didn’t cancel my trip. They did. That puts the burden of doing the right thing on them. If I had canceled the trip I would expect not a thing in return I now the rules. That’s not the case. They canceled my trip. I agree they are offering till February ie “ that’s when they expire” but that puts the burden of booking a trip in the school year on me and my kids. Since when have you heard of Disney canceling a two week trip. Never is my guess. I am not asking for some far out thing.
So if I don’t get those points for next summers trip I will be bitter and at every turn I will drain money from Disney at every opportunity. Ie steak wrong in the slightest I send back. Drink wrong in slightest I send back, I will be that customer who is bitter till I feel no-longer used.
Call me petty, that’s fine I work hard for my time on vacation and they in affect stole from me and my family so I will return the favor.
There really wasn’t much more Disney could do in terms of DVC. They didn’t close down due to something in their control like renovations. There is a global pandemic happening. They only have so many points allotted per year.

I would be very disappointed if I were in your position to but this is something way beyond Disney’s control.

I also think that this has made many realize the risk in buying a long term commitment like DVC.

In the toilet. I am a loyal Disney fan. But the magic is gone. I don’t say this because of covid. I say this because Disney canceled our trip and than told us our points are gone. Yup that’s right' the points we booked for this summers trip “that they canceled “ that where banked in 2019 and used for this summer are gone. We understood the cancellation but they would not allow us to move the points to a next summer June trip, which is all we asked. Instead they said we would have to use them by February in this school year.

There actually is a lot of good availability for DVC rooms in late July and early August, before school starts.

Also, you might consider making a reservation for that period and then trying to rent it out. You might not be able to get full value, but you can probably get some.

Disney doesn’t own the room, you do. The pandemic canceled your vacation, not Disney. When you purchased an ownership interest in the resort the responsibility to make it right transferred from Disney to you. Giving you 6 extra months is a gift from them, and honestly it’s at the expense of the other DVC owners who may not find sufficient availability as a result of people rescheduling with points that were supposed to have expired.

That said, I’m sorry that your vacation was canceled and I’m sorry that you can’t reschedule. That REALLY *****. I’d be furious too.

They didn't steal anything from you. A worldwide pandemic happened.

You have ample time to recoup your vacation by being flexible and booking alternate dates, transferring to RCI, or renting the points out to recoup your cost. You are choosing to have a terrible attitude about a situation that's probably impacted a majority of this message board.

And the rest of this summer? It hasn't even started yet and the resorts open in 3 weeks.

You aren't getting those points.

So sell the contract and don't go at all. I could have flown to Europe and gotten a steak at somewhere much better for what I spent on my last Disney trip. I totally get feeling burned by Disney, and even being done with Disney, but spitefully spending your money at a theme park seems like a weird way to show it.

6/2 update

number of newly posted resale contracts at about 320-350% of average*

* Aggregating site is not updating so lower level is directly observed, upper level includes what is would typically only observed through the aggregating site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter