where do you stay?

I love staying in DVC studios. Renting points is the best way to do it if you're not a DVC Member. Having the one bed, couch, and kitchenette, makes it feel like a "home".

When making your decision also include parking fees. If you stay on property park parking is free, but now resort parking is no longer free. Many offsite hotels have parking fees and you’ll be paying to park at the parks.
Sounds like a tongue twister.

you could try DVC and look at the discounted points. Some people have to cancel their trip and the members are stuck with the reservation so they put it back out their but at a discount. Otherwise we just got back from Windsor Hills and it was super close to the parks. We rented direct from an owner but you could try VBRO.com

If your heart is set on staying onsite, just keep checking... all day every day. Folks cancel all the time at their 30-day mark (last chance to pay for trip), so you could luck out that way. We've also lucked out this way but also by catching an accessible room once it was released about 2 wks before our intended trip.
This route isn't for the faint of heart, but if you don't mind spontaneity or last-minute, it's also an idea.

Opinons? I could drive as I am an AP but I don't like the idea of having a beer or two in epcot and driving at night in a area I am not all that familiar with (day time I am fine).

So where do you stay?
I've stayed at a number of great timeshare resorts--I own some (non-Disney) timeshares, and used those, but you can easily rent stays at them as well. Two places I've particularly enjoyed are Wyndham Bonnet Creek and Sheraton Vistana (Resort, not Villages; I've only stayed at the former). Both are super close to the parks, neither have resort fees/parking charges, and the convenience of having "more than a hotel room" is something I enjoy. For nights when you want a BEvERage, take an Uber/Lyft/Taxi instead of driving. It's a small price for peace of mind.

Stay onsite; when I'm on vacation, I'm all for not having to get into a car at all--enough with the everyday commuting. Where onsite will depend on how much you are willing to spend and what conveniences you want or could do without.

Unless you're a rewards member to a major chain, it's always beneficial to stay on site. When you add up the cost of transportation (uber to and from airport opposed to DME) and the time it takes to get to and from the park (a bus from the hotel that leaves and returns once - twice daily), it realllly pays to stay on site.

You can check DVC renal points to see if something good is available but most times, Pop does it for me. Newly renovated rooms, not to far from any specific park and a great theme not to mention the ability to walk to AoA for better food options or walk back from AoA if their bus has a shorter wait time from the park.

If your heart is set on staying onsite, just keep checking... all day every day. Folks cancel all the time at their 30-day mark (last chance to pay for trip), so you could luck out that way. We've also lucked out this way but also by catching an accessible room once it was released about 2 wks before our intended trip.
This route isn't for the faint of heart, but if you don't mind spontaneity or last-minute, it's also an idea.

Seconding this. Recently, I made a Pop Century reservation and went back to check for new rates about a half hour before my last chance to cancel. Other AP holders must have canceled their reservations at the last second, because I was able to snag the AP rate and save about $20/night.

If you're looking off site, I tried the Red Lion in Anaheim last summer and quite enjoyed it. I'd definitely consider their WDW-area hotel.

When are your dates in December? December is considered "value season" for DVC right up until Christmas. You can get Old Key West for $224 a night the weekend before Christmas. And that price is everything. There are no taxes or resort fees added to that price. It is what it is. You'll get a Magic Band and access to Magical Express if you're flying into/out of MCO, and better transportation to and from the parks.

And just FYI, even the Grand Floridian is less than $400/night that weekend. It's $320.

Just some food for thought. Personally, I wouldn't go until I could swing staying on site. And since discovering the wonder of renting DVC, that has really opened up the options with the deluxe resorts. I have yet to travel solo, but I wouldn't dream of doing it off-site. I fly down, have no interest in driving myself anywhere, and like the security of being inside the Disney bubble from the moment I get in line for the Magical Express at MCO until I'm taken back to MCO by Magical Express at the end of my trip. It just feels like a real vacation when I don't have to worry about getting from point A to point B.

I totally understand the budget issues though. As I said, I'd put off a solo trip until I could do it right. But everyone is different.

Have you checked third party sites to see if they have different availability than Disney? There are plenty of posters who have booked through third party sites and sometimes they get rooms in blocks which makes their availability different. Sometimes they have coupons or codes for discounts as well. I always check a few of them in addition to checking Disney’s site to see who has the best room at the best price, and the times I have booked through a third party there wasn’t any difference in the overall vacation experience vs. booking direct with Disney.

I stay on site, in whatever hotel I can afford for the trip. I have stayed at all levels of Disney resort and had great trips in all of them.

Good luck with your hunt!

We stayed off site once and it was cheaper but a hassle.

Last time, in 2013, we stayed at POFQ and loved it.

This time, in January 2019, we are staying at Port Orleans Riverside.

You should look at the parks you want to do and the extra magic hours being offered. It sounds complicated but for my solo Run Disney week; I got a hotel room discount (I'm AP and DVC) for one night at POFQ; this allowed me to take the magical express as well as it gave me access to two days worth of EMH. Then I checked into the Red Lion for 5 nights - which, it's not luxury but it's perfect if you spend nearly all your time in the parks. It's really cheap but the service is high quality and it's very safe. Finally, I rounded out my vacay with a splurge (as a reward for doing the 5K, 10K and Half Marathon) at POFQ again (for two nights) giving my access to both EMH and the ME again.

I'm a DVC member but I don't like using points for solo trips without my hubby. If you don't mind switching you can get 7-10 nights (easily) for well under $1000! I'm pretty sure the Red Lion is like $30-60 a night and an uber to Animal Kingdom or ESPN is roughly $4-6.

Again; it's just a matter of preference but our home resort (for DVC) is the Polynesian and we typically spend 3-5 weeks there every year. So I do love luxury but that being said... I had absolutely zero complaints when I did a split on and off stay to save money. Run Disney races are expensive and it gave me extra money for merch! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter