Where do you like to eat on a Solo Trip

DizzKneeLand

Mouseketeer
Do you prefer doing buffets over order from the menu places? Do you like doing character meals? If so which ones?

If you were trying to create your PS for a 5 day trip - where would you - where you you avoid - and what is a MUST DO?

DizzKnee

I'm going solo for the first time. Since I don't have to worry about other's likes and dislikes, I'm going to eat late afternoon so I get the lunch prices, buffet or sit down. I enjoy Morrocco, will try someplace at the GF (hubby won't go there - too "ritzy" for him), probably breakfast one morning at Whispering Canyon, definitely try the new noodle place at the only plaza pavilion. I do enjoy the Caeser salad at Cosmic Ray's. I'm going to have a small breakfast in my room, and one other "big" meal. Since I'm alone, I think whatever strikes my fancy at the time will be it!

I like to plan one sit down meal a day. Usually lunch. I've found that if I don'ty plan one, I don't stop to eat. I'm not really a breakfast person so I'm usually plenty hungry by lunchtime. Generally my sit down meal is in a park, but I have had dinner at Boma and lunch at Kona and Tea at the GF too.

Deb

Just got back yesterday from a solo trip -let's see if I can remember where I ate!!!!

Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge, Cinderella's Royal Table, Coral Reef, Bistro de Paris, Teppanyaki(sp?) in Japan, 50s Prime Time Cafe, Hollywood Brown Derby, and room service at BCV - also Beaches and Cream and various counter-service places. Plus leftovers one night - with the BCV kitchen I was able to bring back leftovers from an off-site restaurant. It was a great trip!!!

Ah, BCV-MY solo resort (DH has never been there-we always go to OKW, but I love the proximity to Epcot). Anyways, for resturaunts, I'd add Chef's de France (be sure to get a window table), Sci-Fi Drive In, and LTT. I've never been to a character meal solo (yet), I think it takes a lot of courage. But I'm working on it! And about buffets, I'm such a klutz, I went to a couple buffets solo, but I found I was so worried about falling with a plate full of food as I walked back to my table, that I generally don't do many buffets now.

For sit-down meals, I guess I prefer buffets, since now that I think about it, that's all I ever done! I been to Bomas, Cape May Clam Bake, 1900 Park Faire, and Trail's End as a solo. Also love eating at Beaches and Cream at the counter. My favorite counter serves as a solo are Cosmic Rays, The Land (now closed I think!), and Tusker House. I also love eating my resort's food court, as I actually think they have good food! :)

As for character meals, I did 1900 Park Faire as a solo, and had a nice time. The only tricky part was getting someone to take my picture with the characters! And I always remember to bring something with me to "mark" my table (like a light coat or some park maps), so when I go to get food, the server knows I am still eating and won't clear my table! :)

HugsForEeyore said:
I always remember to bring something with me to "mark" my table (like a light coat or some park maps), so when I go to get food, the server knows I am still eating and won't clear my table! :)

I prefer sit-down, full-service restaurants because I'm always afraid my place will be cleared if I get up at a buffet - that's a great tip! I also enjoy being waited on as part of the total-relaxation experience :) . That said, I plan my meals more by the things I want to eat than the type of restaurant. Next trip, I've made PS's for 'Ohana, Boma, and Marrakesh.

I also prefer a full service restaurant, it would stink to come back to the table and find it cleared.

I once got up the courage to dine alone at a character breakfast, but it's one thing I will never do again. I found myself ducking the characters everytime one came near, the only one I couldn't duck was Aladdin himself, which was slightly worse because he was a guy, not in costume. Somehow that made it more weird :)

My top three are:Le Cellier, Ohana's, Hollywood Brown Derby (my fav!)

I'm actually the opposite. I like just catching a bite to eat at Cosmic Rays, Electric Umbrella or Liberty Inn, Restaurantosaurus, or Backlot Express. The only sit down restaurant I've really enjoyed is Norways...

These are my favorites:

Cindy's (dinner)
Crystal Palace
Rose & Crown
Le Cellier
50's Primetime
Tusker House
O'Hana's
California Grill
Whispering Canyon Cafe

I like Chef Mickey's, but only for breakfast. Tried dinner there a few years ago and Yuk!

I have done 5 annual solo vacations in early December. That said .... my number one favorite place to be solo is The Sci-Fi diner in MGM.
I usually pig out on breakfast buffets, but I prefer them NON-Character. I have NEVER had a problem with my table being cleared too soon.
But then, I have my sweater, sunglasses,
disposable camera, sun visor, still on the other end of the table, so they know that I didn't leave.

I always bring a book with me (helps with any awkwardness of dining alone) and I will leave that on the table, with my sweatshirt/jacket on the chair and my backpack hidden under the table.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter