Where do UK DVC members go for flights, cars, etc?

El Tel

Mouseketeer
Another question to see if DVC works out best for me....

So far, our trips to WDW have been booked as a package - either with Virgin or First Choice. For my 2002 trip we considered flights only (Virgin) and staying at an offsite villa. The price of the flights meant that it was better value to take a package at a hotel. The question is:

Where do UK DVC members go to get reasonably priced flights, rental cars, etc. to ensure that they get the benefits of DVC membership compared with a package deal? Or am I being unduly pessimistic / stingy :lmao:

:thanks:

We have booked a Fly/Drive with VH and booked with VA direct. You need to work out the figures and then decide what works for you.

I do a variety of things, often travelling with BA when not in economy or American Airlines or another US airline if I am - and these days we always travel in low season. Car hire (or minivan in our case) is usually with Airline Network or yescarhire - both are often mentioned on the trip planning forum.

When I was teaching, and had to travel in school holidays, I often found like you, that it was cheaper to take a package than to just book flights or fly-drive over Easter so I think you are right to give this one serious consideration. :thumbsup2

If I am not using airmiles I go through Trailfinders. They often have deals if you combine flight and car hire. It's often a really good deal. Varies whether Virgin or BA are offering the better deal. Sometimes you have to have the car for all the trip and sometimes just a few days.

El Tel said:

So far, our trips to WDW have been booked as a package - either with Virgin or First Choice. For my 2002 trip we considered flights only (Virgin) and staying at an offsite villa. The price of the flights meant that it was better value to take a package at a hotel. The question is:

Where do UK DVC members go to get reasonably priced flights, rental cars, etc. to ensure that they get the benefits of DVC membership compared with a package deal? Or am I being unduly pessimistic / stingy :lmao:

We've used Dial A Flight for the last 3 visits, best prices so far but we check everywhere when arranging flights/car hire. :surfweb:

Not in the UK but I just go online for a couple of hours and see what I can find. We don't always get a car so sometimes it's flight only and sometimes a fly drive is cheaper..
I'm sure there are a lot more deals from the UK then there are from here, I pay about €1000 for 2 flights.

We used VA/VH fly-drives at first, but for the last two trips (and the next one) we've used a TCD fly-drive flying Sunshine First. For Sept 2007 we've paid (or at least we've paid the deposit) approx £1800 for flights and car, including insurance, for me and DW. We think we're getting value for money on the flights and the overall cost of the trip, including annual dues and an annual pass (that we use for two trips 11 months apart) is similar to what we were paying five years ago for a package deal flying economy and staying at Dixie Landings (POR). DVC is not saving money as such, we're just spending it better :rotfl:

Ian

Hello,
When hiring a car we usually use www.yescarhire.com as we find them very good value for money.
Flights normally scheduled and either Virgin, BA or AA, but we have also used TCD in the past but the cost of the flights are increased if you do not take advantage of their flydrive package

We accumulated quite a few Virgin Frequent Flyer Miles prior to DVC ownership, so now go with them direct, using Miles+Money.
Car rental, Dollar are reasonable when booking direct, in fact, the fully inclusive price is about the same as what Virgin Holidays charge for insurance alone!

When the miles run out, I guess we will shop around, but for the time being, we are doing OK.

In the past I have always flown with Virgin, but this year we are going with Continental. We are able to fly from Edinburgh (with one stop) and it is working out several hundred pounds cheaper than flying from Manchester.

Hi we just booked flights for November with Virgin Atlantic. Tried it with Virgin holidays because we get 10% discount as frequent holiday makers... but VA was cheaper. Dh checks flight prices every day and we buy them when they are low. At the mo the are £330 for the end of November.. but they can change up to daily so keep watching them.

Dh also tends to check expedia.co.uk for flights. Last time we flew with US Airways which meant changing in Charlotte, but that was OK and we were happy with them. They have choose your own film start times but no video games in the seats - which some virgin flights have.

US airways were also less crowded because it was a business flight, whereas virgin are always full.

As far as cars are concerned... my advice is don't go with Alamo via disney... it cost us $700 for 1 week...

Hope this helps

Hello,
An update, just booked a full size car for two weeks commencing 24 Mar, with gold cover ie full tank of gas and multiple drivers with Avis via Going Places for £240, cheaper than I could get on the internet

That seems a really good deal... I shall have to remember to check with them next time we want one...

I would like to go to a website and be able to actually book the advertised price :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter