• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where do I begin?

1st_trip_10/05

Earning My Ears
We are taking our first trip to Disney World in the end of October. I know we will be there for Halloween. We've been told by a couple friends that this is a great time to go. I hope they're right.

Now I get to get every single detail planned out. Yikes! I don't know where to begin. Our children will be almost 8, 5 & 3 at the time. I know I will need a double stroller for the smaller 2.

How do I begin to plan this trip? How do I find out what hotels are good? Is staying on the property best? Of course I don't want to waste money but this is a HUGE trip for us. I see some of you go several times a year. This is our kids first trip so we aren't too worried about watching every cent (we do that the other 360 days a year ;) ). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

I'm new too, going on my first trip in December. I'd start with the budget board, get a nice guidebook, an up to date one, I like the Unofficial Guide and I also like the Birnbaums Official Guide (nice pics!). There is another website All Ears, http://allearsnet.com/ , there is some great info there. Sorry I can't be much help but i thought I'd post to bump you up a bit! Happy Planning!

Tuesday and Wednesday nights at nine pm.......we discuss all of disney and would love to have you join us

Welcome to the DIS :wave:

Check out our HOME Page for info about everything. For specific info there are lots of different forums for you to look at - enjoy :)

My family will also be there for Halloween our kids will be 5 and 17 months we will bring a double stroller. We will attend MNSSHP on the 31st tickets should go on sale around the beginning of May I know they have another party on the 30th. We will be staying at the BCV in a two bedroom, we are also bringing my mom to help out. Then we move to the Poly for a couple of nights. Any questions you have can be answered here try the family, budget and tips board.Have fun planning and welcome to DIS.

I live locally near Disney and have been quite often.
I'm sure you will have a magical time. As for accomodations. Nothing beats staying on site. Maybe check the rent/trade board to see if you can rent points from a member to book a 1 or 2 bedroom at one fo the home away from home resorts.
If not, offsite hotels that offer seperate sleeping areas that you may want to check out include Doubletree suites, homewood suties LBV, Residence inn suites, Buena vista suites. All of these have locations very close to the Disney and provide transportation as well.
I would be sure to call 407-WDW-DINE and book a priority seating for Chef Mickeys located in the contemporary hotel. It is the best character dining around in my opinion.
A great site to check out is mousesavers.com or allearsnet.com
These sites offer great tips as well.

All the best!
:)

Another good book and site is the passporter.com. Are your children girls/boys? Think Princess breakfast if girls. I'm taking 5 nephews and they don't want to see the princesses!!! :earseek: Renting a house gives you lots of room but staying onsite is so magical, esp the first time. Keep reading, look at reviews and pictures of all the resorts. Have fun planning. :jumping3:

Hi,just wanted to say welcome to you.I've always wanted to be in the magic for Halloween,but haven't made it yet.We'll be arriving on November 6th,so will just miss it.
You'll have a great trip,and if you possibly can,stay onsite at a Disney resort.It makes a big difference to be part of the magic 24/7.......Have a wonderful time!
Kirsten in Nova Scotia,where we've had 3 major storms in less than a week,and school closed 2 days last week,and both today and tomorrow so far this week!
:cool1:

Hi,
Have a great and not so scary Halloween. Mousesavers.com was a lifesaver for our first trip to WDW. We over did it a little but had more than enough supplies and info to make our return (Since 71) all the more magical.
Have Fun :earboy2:

Hi
Been to WDW 34 times and each time I have stayed on site! It can't be beat. It's part of the "World" experience and there is something for all budgets. A good place to eat (besides Chef Mickeys-also a personal fav of mine) is Ohana's at the Polynesian. Food is family style and there is singing and family fun to be had!Also, the Wispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge is great fun for the whole family too! (My hard to please mom and a group of 11 people 4-68-had a blast!) I would make PS for any of those dining adventures! Enjoy!

I have ben 16 times I think. The first couple of times we stayed off site and then we on and it was a world of difference.

I've been to Disney many times and I definately vote for onsite. Not only does the Magic not end when you stay on site (which is reason enough alone to stay) but leaving the parks in the afternoon is not such a hassle. And trust me, w/ 3 little ones, you are going to want to leave for the afternoon to rest up! We don't have little ones (not yet, anyway) but even two 26-30 yr. olds like to take a break in the afternoon. When you stay onsite you have full use of the Disney Transportation. So, when you're tired alls you have to do is walk out of the front of the park and hop on a Disney bus that takes you to your resort. Last year I went w/ a friend and her two children ages 8 and 1 and one day something was left behind at the room. No problem, I just hopped a bus and went back and got it. She waited for me at the park. Could you imagine if you had to drive off-site?

As another poster said there are all kinds of rooms for all kinds of budgets. I've stayed in everything from Value to Deluxe and now we own DVC so we stay in the Home Away From Home's.

Start reading the budget boards (they are some friendly folks over there) and by all means ask questions on the Resorts boards. Check out Disney Tips for some great advice.

Sign up for the Mousesavers Newsletter to find out the latest deals you can secure.

Go to Allears Net for great packing lists and for all the menus of places to eat in the world. This way you'll know how to plan for your food budget. There's other great things on this site as well.

Hope this Helps and good luck planning!!

Welcome to the Dis!!

We're going to WDW the first week of December for 7 nights. I found these newsgroups to be helpful when I planned my first trip as well as several other sites, books, etc. E-mail me if you want specific refrences. I know it's a little overwhelming the first time you do it - so many decisions to make!!! For me, planning is SO much fun! I love doing all the legwork and figuring out a plan for our trip. Best wishes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter