Where can I take my dog?

millie

Mouseketeer
Bringing our dog with us in two weeks. She will be at Best Friends during the day and with us in the evening. We have a golf cart. I know that we can take her to the dog park, but can she ride along to pick up a to go dinner at PJ’s? Can we go down to the beach to see the Electrical water pageant? Can she go to the campfire area? Thank you for your responses.

Correct, not in the public areas such as the beach but they are fine on the cart and in the designated areas such as the dog park or the area behind 700, 800, and 900 loop where there is a dog walking path along the canal.

No dogs in stores, restaurants, pool areas, playgrounds, the beach, or comfort stations. keep it at your site or the dog park. Better yet, leave it home.

Wow, that's the Disney spirit! You must be a really unhappy camper now that all loops are dog-friendly!!!

Millie, There is no reason to keep your dog confined to your site. In addition to the dog park, your dog can be walked around the loops as long as it is leashed. We take our dogs on the golf cart, they love to ride and you will see many others doing the same. Just keep yours in the cart with you if you stop at Trail's End, etc. There is a great dog-walk path that runs behind the 700 to 900 loops.
Sounds like this is your first trip to The Fort with your furbaby. Nice to hear that your pup will be kept busy at Best Friends during the day. Far too many campers leave theirs for extended periods at the campsite, resulting in barking and howling - creating many grumpy neighbors (like above). There are many poop bag dispensers around the Fort but be sure to have some on hand to scoop the poops when you are out and about. Before using the play area, be sure your dog is well-socialized with other dogs and humans. We had an unpleasant experience recently with a large young dog that was allowed to repeatedly jump all over us and our pups in the dog park. The owner made no attempt to correct her and just kept saying, "She's friendly".
For the most part, we've met many wonderful people in the dog park.

“I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person.” ~UNKNOWN

Thank you for your responses. Yes, it is our 1st trip to Fort Wilderness and 1st trip with this dog. We actually planned this trip specifically to bring our dog. We chose a cabin so that if she barks at sounds in the night it won't bother others. She already attends day camp here at home so is quite used to socializing and will most likely be exhausted by dinner time which is when we will pick her up. It is just good to know the rules so that we don't inadvertently break some of them.
We are very fortunate to be able to visit WDW quite often so we that can occasionally enjoy this type of trip without leaving "it" at home.

You can also find a dog walking area behind the 1800 and 1600 loops along the canal bank We bought our coach to bring our pups. This is just my opinion . I keep a Poop bag dispenser zip tied to each of their leashes so I know I have them if needed, If a Golf cart can't go there neither can the dogs

Thank you for your responses. Yes, it is our 1st trip to Fort Wilderness and 1st trip with this dog. We actually planned this trip specifically to bring our dog. We chose a cabin so that if she barks at sounds in the night it won't bother others. She already attends day camp here at home so is quite used to socializing and will most likely be exhausted by dinner time which is when we will pick her up. It is just good to know the rules so that we don't inadvertently break some of them.
We are very fortunate to be able to visit WDW quite often so we that can occasionally enjoy this type of trip without leaving "it" at home.

Good on you for involving all the family in the trip. We are currently "camp training" our new rescue dog. She'll get her first big trip this May when we have our Dismeet at Gulf State Park so we'll see how it goes.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

You can also find a dog walking area behind the 1800 and 1600 loops along the canal bank We bought our coach to bring our pups. This is just my opinion . I keep a Poop bag dispenser zip tied to each of their leashes so I know I have them if needed, If a Golf cart can't go there neither can the dogs

I didn't know about that walking area behind 1800 & 1600 - thanks!
Regarding "if a golf cart can't go there neither can the dogs". Just to clarify, golf carts are not allowed on the walking path I mentioned (700-900 loops), but the dogs are.

Good on you for involving all the family in the trip. We are currently "camp training" our new rescue dog. She'll get her first big trip this May when we have our Dismeet at Gulf State Park so we'll see how it goes.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.
Pictures We Want PICTURES

Let me first say I no longer have any dogs and do not plan to have anymore. As long as it is WDW policy to allow dogs on their property, this board will be helpful to dog owners. Telling them to leave their dogs home is not helpful. Now back to the question.

Denise, So sorry to hear you lost your furry baby. Our Border Collie, Annie you meet few yrs ago, has gone over the rainbow bridge & I truly miss her.

Millie: We are bringing ours with us too in July, getting reservations for Best Friends pet care, will probably leave him there for the week, that way we don't have to worry about him in the camper, (power outage, to hot, barking, etc) while we are in the park with the DS and family. Best Friends have been great when we have been down before so we have no concerns about leaving him. Enjoy the trip!

We will be at the fort in May and we have a yellow lab that knows exactly where he is when we pull in. We also have Jack reservations at Best friends while we go to the parks and pick him up after we come back. I would never leave my dog in the camper for more than an hour or two because he is a big part of the family and I don't want anything to happen to him. We always respect the other campers by picking up after Jack. He also loves the dog park. Its a vacation for him as well after all.

Just finalized the stay with Best Friends. Going to leave the pup there for a few days while we enjoy the parks with the DS, DDIL, and grandkiddos. Don't have to worry about him in the camper that way and if there would happen to be a power outage.

It's a big campground and so many nice pathways to walk your dog all over. You just can't go right into the public areas like the pool area or the beach. There is also a dog park which was right behind our site when we were in the 300 loop the year before. Last year we did the 1600 loop and brought her on the canal which was really nice. It's so nice to have your dog there and when we went everyone was very good and respectful with their dogs.

Just an FYI...when you take your dog to Best Friends kennel for the first time don't expect it to be a quick drop off experience. It takes a bit of time for them to process your "baby" for admission, for us it has always seemed to take about 20-25 minutes for them to get all the info into the computer, double check our reservations, and check the pup with the flea comb to make sure they are not bringing any "friends" along,lol. It is not excruciatingly long but just make sure you work the time into your schedule if need be. Have a great time!!! ( The return visits that week will be lots quicker than the first!)

We bought our camper for our dogs. We got tired of trying to find hotels that would take them......fyi.....the Sheraton dog policy is amazing. We found quite the mixture of pet parents.....some great, others a little clueless. Met someone who actually knew the breed of our dogs.....which was weirdly cool as most don’t know of the breed's existence. The dog park is large. There is a least one water station, but I want to say two. There are poo bags, but we always bring our own in case they run out. The dog boundaries listed above were what we experienced in November. We went looping to see the Christmas lights with them.....the two yr pup loves Christmas lights.....he is the coolest, quirkiest dog. Staff interaction with the dogs has been great. They are happy to meet them and give them some love. I wish disney would put in a dog pool.....ours is too cold in November......but if they did I’m sure our dogs would never get out of the pool. We started an annual trip for our son's 7th birthday......this year he will be 23.

Camping in parks, especially at Fort wilderness is not serene, quiet, or private. People are everywhere. Kids playing, music, people talking, laughing, cooking, coughing......those sounds are everywhere. To complain about dogs with all that going on is silly. I like the dogs while camping. I like meeting the dogs and the people. We have never been on a camping trip anywhere that people have not come out, introduced themselves, asked about, or gave affection to the dogs. I would wager from our experience, especially with Disney's new pet policy, that more people think that traveling with pets is a good thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter