Where can I stay that is a condo, but not a timeshare?

Minnesota!

Shoeless in Minnesota
I abhor timeshare pitches and I do NOT want one to deal with.

However, we would like to stay at a condo-like resort on the south side of Orlando. We are doing a bunch of "new to us" tourist traps before we hit Disney in August.

My requirements:

No timeshare/timeshare pitch
Pools/lazy river?
Outdoor bar
Within 15 miles of the theme parks areas (we are doing a lot of stuff near Universal)
Clean
Under $175/night

Thanks!!!!

The choices are nearly endless. Check on a website like VRBO. Rt. 192 runs east/west along the south side of WDW. There are huge pockets of condos/townhouses on either side of WDW. They aren't timeshares, they're just rentals (or even some full time residents). Most will have a really nice pool (lazy river may not be as common), outdoor bar, etc... One nice one we stayed at not too long ago was Regal Palms, which was off Rt. 27 (right near Rt. 192). Beautiful gated community, great pool complex (had a lazy river), bar, etc...the rental townhouse was fabulous. We paid under $100/night for a 3 bedroom, including all fees.

Thanks! Do you have names for others so I can compare? Or what I should google? Everything keeps coming up timeshare... like Wyndham, Sheraton, etc.

Thanks! Do you have names for others so I can compare? Or what I should google? Everything keeps coming up timeshare... like Wyndham, Sheraton, etc.
You can always book a condo through Marriott, Sheraton, etc. and you don’t have to meet with any reps. It’s only when you book one of their promos that you have to schedule to meet.

Marriott Cypress Harbour and other Marriott properties, Grande Vista are near Sea World-Universal and no timeshares meetings are required.

Oooh - good to know! Thank you!! I have a Marriot gift card to use, actually, so that might just fit the bill!

I can look more specific examples up next time I hop on VRBO, as I don't recall the names of all the places we've stayed off the top of my head (there have been so many). If you do a search there they'll just pop up. I could be wrong, but I'm not even sure timeshares are allowed to be listed there. It's all rentals by either private owners or rental management companies. I like to rent from private owners, just usually has the extra nice touch because they often use the home as their own vacation home too.

Thinking about it, another one we stayed at was a single family home. It was a pre-fab home, so it wasn't anything fancy at all. Had several pools, as it was a huge community. However, we really liked having a home that didn't share walls, had a private driveway and carport. I can find the community...it was on 192, again near Rt 27

Oooh - good to know! Thank you!! I have a Marriot gift card to use, actually, so that might just fit the bill!
We have stayed at most of the Marriott properties (we are non Marriott timeshare owners that trade into Orlando area) and we have never had any pushy sales people calling us. Heck you'd never know it WAS a timeshare from their customer service. Our favorite is Cypress Harbour, but I think Lakeshore Reserve is the one that has the lazy river-haven't managed to snag this one yet!

I abhor timeshare pitches and I do NOT want one to deal with.

However, we would like to stay at a condo-like resort on the south side of Orlando. We are doing a bunch of "new to us" tourist traps before we hit Disney in August.

My requirements:

No timeshare/timeshare pitch
Pools/lazy river?
Outdoor bar
Within 15 miles of the theme parks areas (we are doing a lot of stuff near Universal)
Clean
Under $175/night

Thanks!!!!

You can stay in a timeshare and NOT have to go to any pitch. The key is to rent from an owner and not fall for one of those "postcard deals" the timeshare places send out that require you attend a pitch. I've stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek dozens of times and never gone to one.

A lot of condo's for rent at reasonable rates in Reunion Resort. We've rented houses many times and have not been disappointed.

We always stay in Windsor Palms. They have 2 and 3 bedroom condos as well as 3 bedroom town houses. There is a large community pool Some of the townhouses have a small private "splash pool" as well. I don't think we've ever paid over $100/night for those condos. Windsor Hills is a similar development that people like.

You can stay in a timeshare and NOT have to go to any pitch. The key is to rent from an owner and not fall for one of those "postcard deals" the timeshare places send out that require you attend a pitch. I've stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek dozens of times and never gone to one.

I was also wondering why the OP thinks you have to attend a presentation to stay at a timeshare resort. Maybe the question should have been "can we stay at a timeshare resort without attending a presentation"? And of course the answer is YES if you rent from an owner. Redweek.com is a good place to start. Or TUG of course. Also plenty available on Ebay. Its a shame that people think a presentation is necessary to stay. Of course the resort will ask and all you have to say is no thanks and then go enjoy your vacation.

I have rented timeshares from owners over a dozen times and have yet to attend a timeshare presentation. Just say no when asked if you want to do a resort tour, welcome breakfast with information about the resort (disguised names for a timeshare presentation). Also, don't pick up the coupon book, etc. as it's just an opportunity for people to try to sign you up for a presentation. Also, when asked if I'd like to do these things, "I nicely just say that I would rather have a root canal and no one asks me a second time."

There are plenty of regular condo places that aren't timeshares, but I usually prefer the timeshare properties as to me they have more of a resort feel that I really love. But do whatever you want to do and stay wherever you want to stay.

We've stayed at Windsor Hills 2x now. It's very close to Magic kingdom. About 5 -10 min depending on traffic. Also Walmart is right down the street. Vacation by the mouse lists a lot of the close to Disney resorts so you can look over a good amount of them on one site and compare what they offer.

Owner rentals are an economical way to stay at a timeshare and not be required to attend a presentation. Owner rentals are for a week and are typically available if you have a Friday to Friday, Saturday to Saturday, or Sunday to Sunday stay. I often use TUG2.net and Redweek.com for owner rentals. For a non timeshare condo, VRBO or a place that does rentals at someplace like Windsor Hills would work (nice for sure, but I think the timeshare resorts are nicer typically (nicer than the places at Windsor Hills with really great reviews, etc.) - love the resort feel of the timeshare resorts - great landscaping, amenities, consistent nice furnishings -- just in general I have been happier with these than VRBO rentals (no problems with VRBO, etc., but just not as nice usually as the timeshares). An advantage of these non timeshare rentals over the timeshares is that usually you can do the rental for any period and any starting of ending date you want, so if for example, you are arriving on a Wednesday and staying 15 days, no problem. Often you have a cancelation timeframe too if plans changes. If I was looking for an economical nice condo for a period that the timeshare rentals didn't work for that was more than four nights, I would seriously consider going that route. If I have a really large group and we all want to stay together, houses in these communities are a great option too. It's easy to find a five or six bedroom place with lots of bathrooms, private pool, and usage of community pool and tennis courts for a party of 10 or 12 that wants some privacy. If I need more than three bedrooms and three bathrooms, that's an easy way go.

Something that hasn't been mentioned that is also a possibility if you have a stay that is other than Fri-Fri, Sat-Sat, Sun-Sun is that you can also do a retail rental of a timeshare resort. In fact I just booked a retail stay in a timeshare in the Orlando area for next Feb. (staying in the Orlando area for two nights) and doing a day at the Magic Kingdom before doing a week long cruise on RCCL (Harmony of the Seas - one of those gigantic ships) from Port Canaveral. I wanted a three bedroom, three bath condo for our group and did a retail rental from the Diamond Resorts of the Grand Beach Phase 1 timeshare resort. I will probably be asked upon check in if I want to do a resort tour and will just say no. I am under no obligation as I am paying a retail rate, not a special promotion that includes an obligation to attend a presentation. There aren't as many timeshares with the three bedroom/three bath option as two bedroom/ two bath, so I was more limited. I picked this resort as my husband and my dad will be hanging out at the resort for the day and will appreciate the balcony or patio for sitting out a reading on, might like sitting out by the pool, might like the little walking path by the lake and hanging out in the hammock when my 23 year old and I go to the Magic Kingdom. (It's just nicer in terms on amenities and grounds than the hotels that I was looking at and less expensive too as I would have needed two rooms at the hotels, due to the desire our party has to have separate bedrooms and two bathrooms with an extended family group) I was looking at hotels like the Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, and Marriott Residence Inn), and my three bedroom condo even at the expensive retail rate will actually still save me money over those other options. Also, the common area will be nice as DS and I will only be the MK from opening till about 4 p.m. and then have my nephew who lives in Orlando come over to the condo (we will order in pizza and salad, hang out and visit, and maybe hang out after that too in the large hot tub at the resort). Here, FYI, is the site that I booked from. https://www.diamondresortsandhotels.com/Resorts/Grand-Beach?mkc=GOOGLEUS. You can book on Booking.com, Expedia, etc. too for the same resort and same price. I just tend to book direct a lot.

Please note that there are substantial savings over retail when doing an owner rental or a VRBO rental. But I was this time booked a fully refundable retail rate in case plans change and/or we decide we want to stay somewhere else. The retail prices are similar to the price of a hotel and the three bedroom/three bath unit, with balcony, common area, kitchen, is about the same price as two hotel rooms.

One timeshare I stayed at super close to Universal is the Sunshine resort. It didn't have as extensive grounds as many and no lazy river. It was updated and lovely though, and the balcony was huge (fabulous I though). The pool and hot tub area were cute and we enjoyed that. https://www.choicehotels.com/florida/orlando/ascend-hotels/flc55?source=gyxt

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter