Where can a Canadian buy Disney Gift Cards (in areas without Disney Stores)

How do the cards work? You buy them in Canadian funds I assume and then at Disney when you use them it converts to USD rate of the day? Where can you use them while in WDW?

Can you buy these a little at a time and then apply them all to your room when you get there for purchases? Or only used in the parks?

How do the cards work? You buy them in Canadian funds I assume and then at Disney when you use them it converts to USD rate of the day? Where can you use them while in WDW?

Yes you buy them in CAD and then at WDW (or DL) when you use them it uses the current exchange rate. You can use them anywhere at WDW that's owned by Disney and takes credit cards - or if you're staying on site then you can charge to your room and use the cards to pay off the balance.

Can you buy these a little at a time and then apply them all to your room when you get there for purchases? Or only used in the parks?

Either or both - you can use them to pay off your room balance and or anything you bought in the parks or you can just use them in the parks to pay for purchases.

Does anyone know if it's still possible to transfer the balance from a Canadian gift card to a US gift card? I thought I read somewhere that you can't do that anymore. My kids have gift cards in US funds that I wanted to add some money to for souvenirs but I can obviously only buy Canadian gift cards here. I was hoping to only bring 1 gift card per child along.

ETA - just tried it and it does not work!

Last edited:
Hi, I just booked a Disney cruise for February 2020! I love the idea of using gift cards to help fund the trip! I am in a small city South of Winnipeg and can't find Disney gift cards in any of the big box stores (tried Shoppers, Sobeys, Superstore)in my city. Does anyone from Winnipeg know where I can get them (other than the Disney Store, which is on the opposite end of Winnipeg)? Preferably in the Transcona area. TIA

ETA: I found some at the Walmart in Steinbach! I guess I don't have to drive in to Winnipeg after all!!!

Last edited:
Canadian Tire and Rexall usually have them too!

Hi, I just booked a Disney cruise for February 2020! I love the idea of using gift cards to help fund the trip! I am in a small city South of Winnipeg and can't find Disney gift cards in any of the big box stores (tried Shoppers, Sobeys, Superstore)in my city. Does anyone from Winnipeg know where I can get them (other than the Disney Store, which is on the opposite end of Winnipeg)? Preferably in the Transcona area. TIA

ETA: I found some at the Walmart in Steinbach! I guess I don't have to drive in to Winnipeg after all!!!

Related:

I know that 'technically' you cannot use PC Points (Superstore, Loblaws, Zhers, Shoppers, etc.) BUT if you have points, there is a way to purchase gift cards with points if you wish as I do it often.

To purchase a Disney gift card with PC Points, purchase other items in the store that are worth at least the value of the Disney GC you wish to purchase. In my case Superstore only carries Disney GCs in amounts of $50. To purchase one using points I purchase at least $50 worth of groceries, add in a $50 GC and at the checkout, use $50 worth of points them pay for the balance of groceries.

I have purchased a number of Disney GCs using my PC points in this manner.

Hope this is helpful to others.

Thank you! That helps a ton.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter