Where are we, Jersey? Bye, Phoenicians! An August 2017 TR * NEW DINING/TR LINKS*

What I love most about this show is how inappropriate it is for kids, yet there's always kids in the audience ;)

We weren't able to drink at dinner :headache:

This update was so full of... 'HUH'?! :confused3

until our server told us THE dessert that comes with the dining plan was a chocolate chip cake with vanilla ice cream, and that's what you got when on the plan.

This too! Just... uhhh???

also for those that don't know, at Universal you don't have to get the dining plan for every night of your stay or for every member of your party, so that's kind of cool.

But that's pretty cool! Didn't know that!

Hi everyone! A belated HAPPY EASTER! We're back from our spring break Disney trip and hopefully before too long I'll finish this up with one post and then get started on my spring break TR and dining report :thumbsup2

Oh no! I thought your food mojo was turning around.
It did NOT turn around. Except for the macaroons :goodvibes

Don’t tell Chad.
:rotfl: He'll be asking if Universal has something similar to DVC!

This update was so full of... 'HUH'?! :confused3
::yes::

This too! Just... uhhh???
I know, I was totally surprised. NOWHERE in any literature does it tell you that you have no choice of dessert on the Universal DP; nowhere online, nothing written anywhere and that includes TA literature. As a dessert/sweets lover I can't think I'm the first to be floored and disappointed by this info.

But that's pretty cool! Didn't know that!
On the other hand yes! It'd definitely cool that Uni doesn't make you get the DP for every day of your stay, nor purchase it for every person in your room/party. As an example I have a family going to Disney next month with the QSDP. They then added a night to their stay but didn't want the DP as they're going to Discovery Cove; I had to tell them add a night, add the DP. Not a deal breaker but it would be nice in a case like that to be able to add a night w/o the plan. Also if you have teens who eat a lot and younger kids who don't, you can always get the plan for the teens and not young ones; or vice versa if you feel the teens will eat over what the plan gives.

Looks like you had fun during your recent trip! I'm so jealous.
Those Macarons look so pretty! I'll be sure to take a look at them next time I'm in Universal.

I hope you all had a wonderful trip! Cannot wait to read all about it! :thumbsup2
:wave: It was an interesting one for sure! Hoping to finish this thing up and get the new one started soon, and to catch up on everyone else's reports I've (once again) fallen behind on...............

Looks like you had fun during your recent trip! I'm so jealous.
Hey Su-Lynn! Funny, I was just thinking the other day about how it's already April and you guys haven't been to Disney in 2018 yet. Doesn't it feel weird after last year??? I have to think you guys are at least discussing a trip before December is over :scratchin

Those Macarons look so pretty! I'll be sure to take a look at them next time I'm in Universal.
OMG you must. The best macarons I have ever had!

Here I am! I really only have a little bit left to say about Universal and then I'm putting this thing to bed forever! I'd love to get my Spring Break TR and dining report started while I still have some memory of the trip :P

I left off with Cathy, Pam and I finding out the bar we wanted to go to over at Portofino was only a cigar bar, so we went to the front of the resort to take the resort to resort transportation back to Sapphire Falls. Resort to resort transportation isn't offered between all resorts and it's only for a few hours in the evening for guests who are staying at one resort and dining at another, and they use these fairly big, really nice black vans. While waiting I took this:

IMG_8092.JPG

I'm not sure exactly what kind of car this is - thinking something Italian lol - and during the day there are a few of them parked out front. I assumed they were just for show, until this particular car pulled up and regular old PEOPLE got out, a team member came out and took the keys and asked if they enjoyed their ride! Cathy and I were a bit confused and then Pam informed us that you can indeed rent these cars and take them for a ride. Considering the couple that just dropped this car off both looked to be 16, I assume as long as you have a valid U.S. license you're good to go but it probably costs $$$.

We made it back to Sapphire Falls and returned to the bar at Amatista Cookhouse, where we'd spent time the night before. We all stuck with our drink of choice from the previous night:

Havana Colada
Bacardi 8 yr, Cream of Coconut, Pineapple Puree, Myer's Dark Rum Float

IMG_8093.JPG

We each had a couple and they were as good as they were on Sunday night! When we got down there, a fellow agent named Michelle was sitting alone at the bar :charac2: After dinner at CityWalk her and her roommate, like many of us, went to see the new castle light show. After that they went on Forbidden Journey for the first time, and unfortunately it made her roommate seriously nauseous and she threw up twice before making it back to the resort and then a few more times upon getting to the room, so she was currently in bed, in the dark, no TV on. Leaving Michelle no choice but to sit at the bar and drink alone until we showed up! I hadn't spoken to her at all during the trip; remember there were 70 of us so really, other than a few words here and there I didn't get to KNOW many of them. But she was really cool and we all had a fun last night.

I got back to my room around midnight and attempted to do a little packing before giving up and watching the last half our of "This Is Us", which was on late due to the Super Bowl. This was a pivotal episode as any of you who watch may remember but I knew the jist of it and have since watched the whole thing. I tell you I was exhausted after such a busy few days and we had to get up early the next day, so by 1:00 I was dying to go to sleep but my roommate wasn't back yet. I tried going to sleep but knowing the door was going to open at some point made it hard, I'm a very light sleeper so I knew I'd wake up.

I managed to doze off until she came in at 4:20!!!!! Damn youngsters! And she came in telling me all about her night lol. Luckily she was asleep in about 10 minutes.

We had our last training session from 8:30-11 the next morning and breakfast started at 7. Pam, Cathy and I were meeting at 7:45 so I was up early as I said. As I walked out the door I woke Traci up and she was thankful since she hadn't set her alarm, and when she waltzed in to breakfast about 25 minutes later she looked like Gisele Bundchen of course :rolleyes:

I may have mentioned when I wrote about my first breakfast at Amatista that there was an omelette station as part of the buffet. Since I wasn't a big fan of the other buffet offerings the day before, I decided to try an omelette today. Some of the toppings:

IMG_8094.JPG

And my plate:

IMG_8095.JPG

I had tomato, bacon and cheese in there and then as you see, more bacon. Then I added the chocolate pound cake and raspberry danish type thingy that I had yesterday as those were the best things. Sadly they were the best things today, too. The omelette just had no taste, so I stick by what I said in my first review as far as Amatista not being somewhere I'd go out of my way for to have breakfast.

That's the end of my Universal pictures! Our training today was more of a "what did we learn at this training that really surprised us" session and I had to leave at 10:20 with another agent to catch our flights. We used Universal's shuttle to get to MCO; unlike DME this isn't free to guests but it's certainly convenient (and can be booked through your friendly TA when he or SHE books your Uni trip :D) Cathy's flight was about 45 minutes later than mine and she was flying into Newark so she left a little later, but we caught up at the airport and hung together until I left.

I was really disappointed that it rained during our Volcano Bay tour because as a non water park lover, I most likely won't ever go there as a guest and really wanted to see it! I was also, once again, disappointed in the food. I just don't understand how they think when they plan what to feed TA's! I know there's good food, I really enjoyed Antojitos last year and I've eaten at Margaritaville before, that's nothing spectacular but it's good. If anything when we ate during trainings at Cabana Bay I wish they'd let us go grab a meal at Bayliner Diner and bring it up, because I ate there a few times at last years' training and that food was fine. Otherwise I'm glad I did this training again and got to spend more time at Uni, even though my heart is and always will be with Disney :mickeyjum

And finally, I can say I'm done! Thank you to everyone who has followed along from the beginning, who came in late and thought I was cool enough to keep reading along, and a big :thanks: :hug: to everyone who continued to hang with me to hear about my Universal training. You guys make it fun to write these things and I'll be back soon to regale you all with tales from our spring break trip last week!

When we got down there, a fellow agent named Michelle was sitting alone at the bar :charac2: After dinner at CityWalk her and her roommate, like many of us, went to see the new castle light show. After that they went on Forbidden Journey for the first time, and unfortunately it made her roommate seriously nauseous and she threw up twice before making it back to the resort and then a few more times upon getting to the room, so she was currently in bed, in the dark, no TV on. Leaving Michelle no choice but to sit at the bar and drink alone until we showed up! I hadn't spoken to her at all during the trip; remember there were 70 of us so really, other than a few words here and there I didn't get to KNOW many of them. But she was really cool and we all had a fun last night.
I'm glad you guys were able to keep her company. And man, that stinks on the throwing up by the roommate.

I tried going to sleep but knowing the door was going to open at some point made it hard, I'm a very light sleeper so I knew I'd wake up.
I don't really sleep hard but because Chad has always worked weird hours during our marriage (overnights, early, late, etc) I am used to falling asleep but knowing he will be home at some point while I am resting. Sorry it doesn't work that way for you. :(

I managed to doze off until she came in at 4:20!!!!! Damn youngsters! And she came in telling me all about her night lol. Luckily she was asleep in about 10 minutes.
Oh my!

As I walked out the door I woke Traci up and she was thankful since she hadn't set her alarm, and when she waltzed in to breakfast about 25 minutes later she looked like Gisele Bundchen of course :rolleyes:
If it were only that easy for me....but nope.

Cathy's flight was about 45 minutes later than mine and she was flying into Newark so she left a little later, but we caught up at the airport and hung together until I left.
Glad you guys got to hang out together at the airport.

I'll be back soon to regale you all with tales from our spring break trip last week!
Looking forward to it!

After dinner at CityWalk her and her roommate, like many of us, went to see the new castle light show. After that they went on Forbidden Journey for the first time, and unfortunately it made her roommate seriously nauseous and she threw up twice before making it back to the resort and then a few more times upon getting to the room, so she was currently in bed, in the dark, no TV on.

Ugh! Not surprised. Forbidden Journey is a little wild that way. I'll never know for sure, but I credit it with triggering my neuro condition symptoms for the first time, which were mostly lying dormant before that. Her poor roommate!

:scared1: I am NOT nearly cool enough for my generation. I would be dead the next morning. I used to work as an RA in university and had to stay up until 2am on the weekends to work, and most nights I nearly didn't make it!

As I walked out the door I woke Traci up and she was thankful since she hadn't set her alarm, and when she waltzed in to breakfast about 25 minutes later she looked like Gisele Bundchen of course :rolleyes:

:rotfl:

img_8092-jpg.314010

I'm not sure exactly what kind of car this is - thinking something Italian lol - and during the day there are a few of them parked out front. I assumed they were just for show, until this particular car pulled up and regular old PEOPLE got out, a team member came out and took the keys and asked if they enjoyed their ride! Cathy and I were a bit confused and then Pam informed us that you can indeed rent these cars and take them for a ride. Considering the couple that just dropped this car off both looked to be 16, I assume as long as you have a valid U.S. license you're good to go but it probably costs $$$.
That's kind of cool. Especially for those car crazy boys... Not something I have in my family, but a cool option. And def has to cost a lot!!!

I am tired just thinking about getting in at 4:20!

I am sorry that we missed each other when we were here. But glad to hear you had a good trip! And can't wait to hear about your spring break trip.

And finally, I can say I'm done! Thank you to everyone who has followed along from the beginning, who came in late and thought I was cool enough to keep reading along, and a big :thanks: :hug: to everyone who continued to hang with me to hear about my Universal training. You guys make it fun to write these things and I'll be back soon to regale you all with tales from our spring break trip last week!
Your TA trip was very enlightening. I agree that the food that they serve the TA's should be as good as, if not better than, what they serve the guests. The Universal hotels did not seem to be too impressive.

I can't wait to hear about your March trip. I think that you were there at the same time that our daughter was there with 39 high school kids, teachers and parents. She is a teacher and she organized the whole trip. It was a big success. :) It will be interesting to hear what it was like at Disney during that busy time. I also can't wait to hear about your experience in a Copper Creek Studio. They look really nice. :)

Thanks for the report! I've had a hard time keeping completely up to date doing much commenting over the last few months, but I've read everything. I hope you are having a great trip.

And man, that stinks on the throwing up by the roommate.
It does, especially for the roommate lol. I would hate to be that sick in a hotel room with a "stranger" as my roommate. It wouldn't be s bad if Cathy were rooming with me but still, it's uncomfortable enough being sick in a hotel, and not being with family or alone on top of it :(

Thanks for sharing your trips! I always really, really enjoy them :goodvibes
Aw, thank you :hug: I truly love writing them and wish I had more time lately! I'm thankful for being so busy with work but it does get in the way of my DIS time lol

Ugh! Not surprised. Forbidden Journey is a little wild that way. I'll never know for sure, but I credit it with triggering my neuro condition symptoms for the first time, which were mostly lying dormant before that.
Oh no, I didn't realize that may have been the cause :confused: I've only ridden FJ once, on our family trip to Uni in 2015. Ricky and Steve liked it but I felt nauseous for about 2 hours afterwards so that's a one and done for me. I do like Escape from Gringott's, though but still have to close my eyes for one part.

:scared1: I am NOT nearly cool enough for my generation. I would be dead the next morning.
:laughing: You're cool! I used to be able to stay up that late in college, and I guess into my mid-20's which is where she is. But not now. If I have a couple hours sleep I can be up by 4:30 though, especially if it's to leave for the airport and go to :mickeyjum

Sorry the food was such a let down! Excited to read about your Disney Spring Break!
Thank you, I was hoping for better and I guess in a way, one or two things were (like my ice cream in the park lol). If I keep going to the Universal TA trainings I'll just have to rely on my Toothsome macaroons :D
Hoping to get that spring break report started any day now..........

Can't wait to read the new TR!!
Thanks! I can't wait to start it :)

I am sorry that we missed each other when we were here. But glad to hear you had a good trip! And can't wait to hear about your spring break trip.
I'm sorry too - any Fishkill visits coming up??????

Your TA trip was very enlightening. I agree that the food that they serve the TA's should be as good as, if not better than, what they serve the guests.
Yes, definitely! We need to "sell" Universal to clients and while I certainly won't say negative things about the food it would be better to be able to really talk it up. At least I can do that for Vivo because even though I didn't eat there, Cathy and Pam really enjoyed it. And then......my macaroons :love:

I can't wait to hear about your March trip. I think that you were there at the same time that our daughter was there with 39 high school kids, teachers and parents. She is a teacher and she organized the whole trip. It was a big success.
Wow, good for her, that's a TON of work! I'm glad it all went well.

will be interesting to hear what it was like at Disney during that busy time.
Interesting is definitely the right word lol

I also can't wait to hear about your experience in a Copper Creek Studio. They look really nice. :)
I will say we loved it and would stay again in a heartbeat :)

Ok, glad you finally got this Universal crap out of the way. Now give me some Disney :P
I'm going to write a fake Universal TR and tag you in every other sentence :P

Thanks for the report! I've had a hard time keeping completely up to date doing much commenting over the last few months, but I've read everything. I hope you are having a great trip.
No worries, I completely understand life getting in the way, hence my not starting the new TR or dining report yet. Glad you stopped by!

I'm the worst at commenting along but loved the report and you know I will be along for the next one! I loved the window into Universal. Our family loves it and I need to plan a return trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter