Where are the Pandora Expansion Pads?

Can the “mysterious black box ride” be explained? I’m outta the loop
There was another site that claimed there will be a "black Box" attraction added to DHS - black box meaning very adaptable and can be changed or redone very quickly and relatively cheaply - so no real extensive ride or show, but something added that could be converted quickly.

Per multiple insiders - this does seem to have legs, and was just added that it does seem to include a ride system.

No idea what the IP would be though or what type of ride as of yet

Appreciate you digging up the thread for me. I think it’s super weird to design a ride that your planning on interchanging from the get go. But if it weren’t super elaborate then I guess it work
I have to believe this is tied to some IP, and they want the flexibility to move it to a new IP if that existing one falls out of favor, or a new one bursts on the scene. They have a ton of stuff coming out, live actions of old animated, plus some Fox stuff that they could potentially reapply here

I have to believe this is tied to some IP, and they want the flexibility to move it to a new IP if that existing one falls out of favor, or a new one bursts on the scene. They have a ton of stuff coming out, live actions of old animated, plus some Fox stuff that they could potentially reapply here
Well technically the Great Movie Ride would have fit this bill, it would have been relatively easy and cheap to change out one scene for another, providing they had the rights to use the movie in that way, so perhaps something along those lines would work well, but on a smaller scale.

Or they could start with something like a Muppets ride that uses screens and such with 3D glasses like Transformers at Universal, this would be very cheap to change to another IP down the road or to change scenes and in fact could have several different scenes that occur randomly.

Numerous options with something like this.

I would be surprised to see anything happen at AK for at least 5 years.
It just got Pandora. They are spending a lot of money at HS with TSL and SWGE, EPCOT with 2 new rides and maybe a new land (Brazil),
MK with TRON. With all that going on, I don't see anything happening at AK until the other attractions are finished.
And they have several new resorts going up.

I'm all for a restaurant, but Disney needs to start putting in less hotels and dining, and more rides to deal with the long wait times. They've got the people, now they need to keep them entertained and not annoyed. I would love another ride back there!

More rides/attractions would always be appreciated... BUT I think the parks need more places for people to just sit back and relax, in the shade. And I don't mean sitting on the side of a planter wall; I want real tables/chairs. I love the area behind Flame Tree BBQ, with the reflecting pond. I enjoy just being able to sit there, away from the crowds, and watch the world go by. After all, if people are sitting and cooling their heels, they're not in queues adding to wait times. I'd imagine families would enjoy the downtime as well. These covered areas also provide shelter for the inevitable thunderstorms.

Appreciate you digging up the thread for me. I think it's super weird to design a ride that your planning on interchanging from the get go. But if it weren't super elaborate then I guess it work

I envision this like a theatrical set. A Broadway-style theatre gets transformed with each show. A mix of practical sets and projection technology would make changing the entire experience pretty straight-forward. Add in trackless vehicles and appropriate music and you're good to go.

Now, I'm not saying it would be an "E-ticket" attraction. And, it probably only fits at Disney's Hollywood Studios because they could get away with a generic-themed exterior. But, I think it could a nice addition that encourages repeat visits.

Plus, if they target the right IP, it could entice hard-core fans to make the trip to Florida. For example, imagine if Disney had this type of flexible attraction back when "Lost" was on ABC. People would have gone nuts over the mere thought of physically entering that confusing world. (It might have been a bit dark for Disney World, but it's just an example.)

More rides/attractions would always be appreciated... BUT I think the parks need more places for people to just sit back and relax, in the shade. And I don't mean sitting on the side of a planter wall; I want real tables/chairs. I love the area behind Flame Tree BBQ, with the reflecting pond. I enjoy just being able to sit there, away from the crowds, and watch the world go by. After all, if people are sitting and cooling their heels, they're not in queues adding to wait times. I'd imagine families would enjoy the downtime as well. These covered areas also provide shelter for the inevitable thunderstorms.
Animal kingdom does an incredible job of having experiences that don’t require fastpass and lengthy line waits. I’ve really grown to love it because of the details you can see, and all the fun trails that you can take your time with during your day

I hate to sound my age, but they USED to have this when it was just MK. Lots of benches and picnic tables. Now, what a nightmare to find a place to rest that doesn't take a table from a restaurant.

Very confused on this post since in the past couple of year they have added 2 new rides in AK, 2 in DHS, adding 2 more to DHS, adding 1 to MK and are adding 1 to Epcot plus replacing another ride that hardly ever had a wait.

My point about adding new rides was simply to disperse some of the crowds. I feel as if they have been deleting attractions to add nothing more than character greetings. The additions at DHS aren't really additions, they're replacements and last summer before opening TSland, there were only 4 operational rides in the whole park since, for some reason, they closed TGMR right when everything else was closed. Epcot did away with Innoventions and the Life pavilion forever ago and added, what that? more character greetings! AK was always light on rides but the expansion of Pandora helped. They've closed off the Conservation Station and indoor rides are almost nonexistent. For MK, the cars (that hardly fit a Tomorrowland theme) can be switched out with room for 3 rides there.

Too many venues are seasonal, too. I can't name a time, since it was a noodle station, that I have seen Tomorrowland Terrace operational and yet most of the time the seats there are blocked off so they can get ready, 8 hours later, for a dessert party. They dropped Alien Encounter/Stitch's Great Escape with no plans but don't realize that just because it doesn't draw huge crowds doesn't mean it's useless. Whenever Space Mountain is down, and let's face it it's down more than up, people without FP could go over and hit that attraction with little to no wait. Also, back in the day, most of the rides were on an omnimover scale. Less lines because it's constantly moving. Rides they have been adding don't really fit that profile anymore.

I LOVE Disney, I wouldn't have passes if I didn't. I love change, too. I don't expect the Disney now to look and feel like the Disney from 1976 but if you are going to cram that many more people into the parks, 3 rides a day isn't going to cut it for most people spending hundreds of dollars a day. And yes, they are adding a few rides, but they are hardly stretched thin. The place is the size of a small state. Pretty sure one can be building more than 5 things at a time. I was no fan of Eisner, but the Bobs are even worse. Attractions just get people on property, but the real money is the restaurants, merchandise and resort stays and they exploit that. Good for them, I just, as a park goer, would like to see more options for included things to do for the money paid. And last, there is certainly room for a new park. Build one.

I hate to sound my age, but they USED to have this when it was just MK. Lots of benches and picnic tables. Now, what a nightmare to find a place to rest that doesn't take a table from a restaurant.

Sounds much different back then. Wasn't lucky enough to go.

I think that may be why the "parties" and events are selling. Lots of guests just want it less busy.

The product is simply too popular/in demand.

FP+ has really helped our group (but we go a lot) as we can get a lot done in a few hours.

Busy doesn't matter, resting doesn't matter in our case. We actually enjoy getting steps in.

Well technically the Great Movie Ride would have fit this bill, it would have been relatively easy and cheap to change out one scene for another, providing they had the rights to use the movie in that way, so perhaps something along those lines would work well, but on a smaller scale.

Or they could start with something like a Muppets ride that uses screens and such with 3D glasses like Transformers at Universal, this would be very cheap to change to another IP down the road or to change scenes and in fact could have several different scenes that occur randomly.

Numerous options with something like this.
Going to disagree here. Per many insiders the reason GMR was changed out for MMRR is due to cost to update and restore the GMR ride, and maintain it.

I feel as if they have been deleting attractions to add nothing more than character greetings.
Except for all the cases where they're replacing attractions with fantastic new attractions and even adding new attractions as well.

Too many venues are seasonal, too.
Meaning that those venues are open when there is a need to serve larger crowds.

I don't expect the Disney now to look and feel like the Disney from 1976
They've even added three whole parks since then.

I'd love to see a fifth gate, but I can't claim that it would ever pay off. Disney is hamstrung by US business' unwillingness to give workers a reasonable amount of paid time off, and as long as that continues one week vacations are going to be the standard, and that's going to cap the value of additional gates. I love Animal Kingdom but I can't help but wonder if it was, in retrospect, a mistake. We often spent two full days there, but how many other families grumble about how it's a half-day park, forcing them to buy park hoppers? If they would be willing to spend more time at Disney, like the Brits typically do, I think that would better justify having four parks. It'll take even longer vacations becoming the standard in the United States to justify five theme parks.

Also, back in the day, most of the rides were on an omnimover scale. Less lines because it's constantly moving. Rides they have been adding don't really fit that profile anymore.
While I certainly agree with this the reason that new rights are not Omnimover is because of the fact that visitors want more and more thrill rides. The continued movement type rides just are not capable of providing that kind of experience.

Its actually 3 more new rides in DHS(2 star wars and mickeys mine train)and 2 more in epcot(Guardians and Ratioulle)

Us DHS added the Lightening McQueen show . Also strong g rumors of a new UK attractions would be another addition to EPCOT. Beauty and the Beast sing-along is another new experience coming

I still think they need more but compared to the past number of years a lot more new stuff is coming

My understanding is that Walt originally wanted a lot of places to sit etc. and that was originally put into the park but later removed because "if they are sitting, they are not spending money"

I love the hidden gems people walk by because there doesn’t look like anything there. Our last night at AK, my wife and I found a lovely spot with tables and chairs not far from the Up! bird show, facing the backside of the tree of life.

Sipping a beer and watching the tree of life “awakenings” there was a highlight of our trip.

My understanding is that Walt originally wanted a lot of places to sit etc. and that was originally put into the park but later removed because "if they are sitting, they are not spending money"

A lot of them, especially in MK, have also been lost when they widen paths and like the big expansion of the Hub for fireworks viewing, etc

As crowds grow they need to balance areas for rest with traffic flow.

I think AK still has a lot of areas to rest and even in Pandora they made a point of working seating into the risk work ... but MK could definitely use some more

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter