Where and how do I start planning?

julesann

DIS Veteran
I am a DLR veteran and a complete novice for planning a trip to Universal. My dear niece is turning 30 and wants to celebrate at HPW (I don't even know if that is the right acronym) in June 2019. Any and all planning advice welcome.

What links should I read, and where are the best places for advice for complete newbies, books I might read? I have no idea about packages, hotels, tickets or touring. This will most likely be an adult only trip for about 10 (coming from CA) and I want to include all of Universal in our trip not just HPW.

There is an absolute ton of information in the stickies here. Go to the official UO site and read what they offer. Download the UO app and begin to understand the layout of the entire resort. Come back and ask more questions if you have them. BTW, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (WWofHP) are 'lands' within each of the two parks (just like DL has their areas of similar themes).

I am researching/booking for a first time 3/2020 trip so here is what I am using...

Here for HP stuff this thread has had the best info...
https://www.disboards.com/threads/wizarding-world-touring-plans-and-details.3666427/

Univ overall Youtube videos are my personal preference for research...just find a YouTuber that doesn't annoy you (even better if you enjoy one!) and see their take/walk thru of the park.

Also figure out if you are going to stay onsite (you get early entry to HP) or if you have the money to stay at a higher level room to also get Universals (Express Pass) version of the FP+ except its a SINGLE use FP+ for MOST rides in the park.

Are you going to Universal Hollywood or Universal Orlando?

Decide when you are going.

Decide how many days you will be in the parks. Then look at tickets.

Decide where you are going to be staying.

For the hotels- research directly through Loews, not the Universal vacation page. The Loews site has a lot more helpful info!
Do stay onsite! The perks are great and the proximity is fantastic. Even the current farthest hotel is still walkable to the parks in 20 minutes (shuttles or boats provided if you don't want to walk).
The 3 deluxe hotels include express passes- which are much better versions of fast passes. No scheduling, just show up with your EPs and go in the shorter line. The hotel EPs are unlimited so you can re-ride favorites as many times as you'd like! With EP, there is 0 need to do a "touring plan". Just go where you want, when you want! Only planning is to avoid hitting restaurants at noon (show up by 11:45 to avoid crowds).
I found Orlando Informer to have a lot of great tips and info.

The Unofficial Guide to Universal Orlando, definitely. The Unofficial Guides are so great at explaining all the options for hotels, tickets, etc and there is a description of every single ride included.

Thanks for all the great advice. I feel less overwhelmed now. So, I'll 1-read the stickies; 2-look at the official site; 3-research directly through Loews; 4-figure out the deluxe hotels to find express passes; 5-check out Orlando Informer and 6-get the Unofficial Guide to Universal Orlando (ordering tonight) and I'll definitely re-read the Harry Potter series.

I sure appreciate this and I'll be back to ask more questions.

Come back anytime
Many here will continue to help you

If you read something that puzzles you, let us know

We all started as newbies to UO and understand there are a lot of questions you will have even after reading the stickies and other sites

I think my best advice is universal doesn’t require planning! If you stay at one of the resorts with express pass it is easy. Show up at parks when you want and leave when you want. You can even walk to the parks! It was soooooo relaxing after all the work Disney takes.

There are definitely a lot of motion rides (think star tours) so if that may bother some bring motion sickness meds.

Have fun. We went for first time last year and plan to go back next summer. We much preferred the relaxed pace compared to Disney and I’m a huge Disney fan.

We went for first time last year and plan to go back next summer. We much preferred the relaxed pace compared to Disney and I’m a huge Disney fan.

This represents another phase in the evolution of vacationing. We went through this breath of fresh air style, too. We did WDW every year until the kids were 11. Now the family just keeps wanting to go to Uni. Result: we have not been back to see Micky in 8 years.

Jules Ann Thank You for asking this question! We also go to WDW yearly and have that down to a science but are making our 1st Universal trip in June as well! We will be there June 2-8. Thanks everyone for the tips in this thread as I was just trying to figure out where to start as well!!

Don't worry! Figure out where you want to stay, and relax! We went Thanksgiving week. About a month before, I booked a character meal and dinner Thanksgiving night. A few days before we left, I bought our park tickets.

We stayed at Royal Pacific, so we got the express pass included. That was awesome! I don't think I'll ever go without that, especially during a busy week.

On our first full day, my husband asked what park we were going to and I said, "I don't know." I hadn't planned anything so did what we wanted to when we wanted to. It was great!

A friend was making their FPs for a Disney trip in January the morning we left for Universal. I joked that she had done more planning for a trip 2 months away than I'd done for the one starting that day.

Hi everyone here is giving great advice , that's because the :disrocks:.... Anyway love to hear people making first time plans.

I agree with all of the above, the biggest help I have found besides the resort stickies is trip reports! I find them offering the best tips.

Room only reservations are much better with Univ. then a package. When we are going to the parks we stay at a deluxe hotel to get the express passes. I agree that you can make some light plans but you could get up everyday and just go on a whim. You really don't have to plan once you get your resort figured out. It is such a relaxing pace.

Happy planning!

I would spend the most time familiarizing yourself with the attractions/park maps so you understand the lay of the land when you get there. When I go to a new park, this is important to me so I don't miss anything, I'm not wandering aimlessly, and I'm not putting myself on an attraction I'm not prepared for (like Mission Space on my first WDW trip. LOL!)

I would also research the on-site deluxe hotels, as they provide the most bang for your buck in terms of location and unlimited express pass.

Lastly, for tickets, you'll want a park to park pass to experience Hogwarts Express. Other than that, you have some options including an annual pass which offers discounts on some things, including on-site hotel rates. Generally, if you're considering a 4 day park-to-park ticket or longer, a seasonal annual pass makes more sense financially.

The best part about Universal is that you really don't need much of a touring plan. Dining reservations are not a must, and with unlimited express pass, rope drop is not imperative. We sleep in and get to the parks when we get there, and can do the rides in order around the park rather than criss-crossing and running one side to the other. Its good for people to know planning is minimal here, because its quite different than a WDW trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter