When you have the neighbors from H*LL

This was just one night, correct? I would wait and see if it was just a one time thing or if it happens constantly. I know that we have stayed in so many hotels with our children and there have been times when they were overtired or having a meltdown. Or someone slammed a finger in a drawer, etc. I have felt so horrible because the child screams/cries, but there is only so much that can be done in the moment.

I think the OPs expectations may be unreasonable, at least unrealistic. The first trip they couldn't take a nap due to the noise of kids walking, maybe running, in the room above them. Rooms aren't soundproof enough, issue is getting worse as Disney is getting rid of carpeting. For future stays OP needs to request top floor. May need some kind of ear plugs. Alternately pick a more quiet resort, possibly offsite. Kids walking, and even running, during daylight hours is the nature of the beast.
Second stay. Kids melt down. Sounds like parents got the kid quiet before 10p. Not perfect but not horrible. I wouldn't be happy but a one hour meltdown is kind of par for the course.

I don't agree with some of the suggestions. Claiming child abuse, based on what was posted, is wrong for reasons mentioned by other posters. Of course call first. It doesn't really matter where the call is answered. The person who answers the phone needs to forward you issue to the right person. The person who is ultimately going to help you isn't a person who answers the phone at the front desk (some resorts) or in a remote call center (Disney resorts).

I think the OPs expectations may be unreasonable, at least unrealistic. The first trip they couldn't take a nap due to the noise of kids walking, maybe running, in the room above them. Rooms aren't soundproof enough, issue is getting worse as Disney is getting rid of carpeting. For future stays OP needs to request top floor. May need some kind of ear plugs. Alternately pick a more quiet resort, possibly offsite. Kids walking, and even running, during daylight hours is the nature of the beast.
Second stay. Kids melt down. Sounds like parents got the kid quiet before 10p. Not perfect but not horrible. I wouldn't be happy but a one hour meltdown is kind of par for the course.

I don't agree with some of the suggestions. Claiming child abuse, based on what was posted, is wrong for reasons mentioned by other posters. Of course call first. It doesn't really matter where the call is answered. The person who answers the phone needs to forward you issue to the right person. The person who is ultimately going to help you isn't a person who answers the phone at the front desk (some resorts) or in a remote call center (Disney resorts).
Agree with most of this except for the call part. Calling a disinterested party with a complaint isn’t going to get much attention. Walking up and speaking directly with a manager would be most effective.

If there is a room above you , more likely than not you will hear walking/thumping. We always try to get a top floor room. I agree with the post that kids are tired and parents push them so much at Disney. Kids melt down and cry (or could be sick or have a disability). I certainly wouldn’t imply or suggest abuse if you go to front desk. I’d just nicely say they were noisy. But ...complaining of thumping in middle of day so you can nap and even 945 pm seems extreme.

At 9:45 they may just be excited and getting in from the parks or dinner; it's not late. And PLEASE don't make false claims of child abuse. You could very well be involved in litigation for such an act if you have no real knowledge of such. It may also be a matter of picking the wrong hotel, some have no soundproofing, so kids just being kids, during the daytime, when you're trying to nap, may make way more noise than anyone likes totally unintentionally. I hope it gets better for you OP, but it doesn't sound like a total crapshow...yet. BTW, is it 2 sets of neighbors that are bothering you or just the one above?

Agree with most of this except for the call part. Calling a disinterested party with a complaint isn’t going to get much attention. Walking up and speaking directly with a manager would be most effective.
Going in person might be needed, I'd try calling first. I thought the issue about a remote call center is a red herring. A complaint to a call center or front desk clerk will have to be forwarded to he appropriate person.

Kids walking in a room above, during daylight hours. Noise in an adjacent room which ends by 10p. Both are annoying but I don't think either sounds like h***.
I think the OP has picked the wrong location for a vacation, at least the wrong resort.

It isn't. I have some family members that work at the call center.

But it usually isn't.

What happens if a caller asks to be transferred to a manager? The issue is how to get a complaint to the right person.

What happens if a caller asks to be transferred to a manager?

They will be transferred to the manager on duty at the call center.

The issue is how to get a complaint to the right person.

Right. And the way to accomplish that is to speak to someone actually at the resort which can only be guaranteed by going to the Desk, Concierge, etc.

I know the typical suggestion on these boards is to go to the front desk to speak with someone at the resort if you have an issue, but, please know, if you suspect someone is truly being abused or violence is taking place in the room next to you, you CAN pick up the phone and the call center CM will connect you directly with the sheriff's office. That is what happened when there was a domestic violence incident happening in the room next to us. The sheriff's department then responded to the scene within minutes. Please, if you really think there is imminent danger or someone is getting hurt, pick up the phone and the call center will route you to law enforcement. The incident occurred at 5:00 am in the morning and I was traveling alone with my young son. Going to the front desk would have wasted time valuable time in this situation.

I know the typical suggestion on these boards is to go to the front desk to speak with someone at the resort if you have an issue, but, please know, if you suspect someone is truly being abused or violence is taking place in the room next to you, you CAN pick up the phone and the call center CM will connect you directly with the sheriff's office. That is what happened when there was a domestic violence incident happening in the room next to us. The sheriff's department then responded to the scene within minutes. Please, if you really think there is imminent danger or someone is getting hurt, pick up the phone and the call center will route you to law enforcement. The incident occurred at 5:00 am in the morning and I was traveling alone with my young son. Going to the front desk would have wasted time valuable time in this situation.
Doesn't 911 work in Orlando?

But there is a huge difference from a child having a meltdown and abuse. Drawers slamming- maybe child didn’t want to take a bath? It appears OP is very noise sensitive at early times.

Yes abuse is serious and needs to be reported but there is a huge difference between abuse and a meltdown.

Maybe suggesting calling and saying they are concerned for people next door s safety is better than screaming child abuse.

Imagine if you were that parent and your child wouldn’t stop screaming- you are getting clothes ready for next day or child is slamming drawers because of disability. Next thing you know police there suspecting you of abuse. They do have to take report, talk to child , child services. You don’t abuse your child and are accused of it by a neighbor in a hotel?

When my youngest was 1.5 he had nursemaids elbow where it popped out of joint. Happened when we were visiting Santa- ended up in ER. A few days later he pulled stocking holder down off mantel- had to do to ER for stitches. A few days later elbow pops out- go to doctor and the nurse asks what our home situation is because of all the incidents which were not results of abuse. She was doing her job I understand. I was in tears when dr came in and he knew it wasn’t abuse - said he never would have asked. But that always stuck with me. For a stranger to imply abuse without seeing if that is special needs child having meltdown at an early hour...

Just stating OP complaining of kids running above during daytime hours - appears maybe overly sensitive to noise.

Last edited:
But there is a huge difference from a child having a meltdown and abuse. Drawers slamming- maybe child didn’t want to take a bath? It appears OP is very noise sensitive at early times.

Yes abuse is serious and needs to be reported but there is a huge difference between abuse and a meltdown.

Maybe suggesting calling and saying they are concerned for people next door s safety is better than screaming child abuse.

Imagine if you were that parent and your child wouldn’t stop screaming- you are getting clothes ready for next day or child is slamming drawers because of disability. Next thing you know police there suspecting you of abuse. They do have to take report, talk to child , child services. You don’t abuse your child and are accused of it by a neighbor in a hotel?

When my youngest was 1.5 he had nursemaids elbow where it popped out of joint. Happened when we were visiting Santa- ended up in ER. A few days later he pulled stocking holder down off mantel- had to do to ER for stitches. A few days later elbow pops out- go to doctor and the nurse asks what our home situation is because of all the incidents which were not results of abuse. She was doing her job I understand. I was in tears when dr came in and he knew it wasn’t abuse - said he never would have asked. But that always stuck with me. For a stranger to imply abuse without seeing if that is special needs child having meltdown at an early hour...

Just stating OP complaining of kids running above during daytime hours - appears maybe overly sensitive to noise.

I never suggested OP pick up the phone and claim child abuse nor would I recommend anyone doing so. As I mentioned in my post, the common advice regarding dealing with issues at the resort is to go to the front desk and speaking personally to a CM as opposed to picking up the phone and being routed to a call center. The common refrain is the call center can't do anything. I simply wanted to point out that if you do have an actual emergency on your hands, the call center can and will route your call to the sheriff's office immediately and you will get a quick response. I agree that children simply running around and making noise is not cause to claim child abuse and I would never do that. We've had tons of noise issues at WDW resorts (BWI in particular) and this was the one and only time I had to call for help. Other times (drilling into our wall and plumbing work being done at 3:00 am) warranted a visit to the front desk where they happily helped us with our issues. I will also note, if you do call the call center, a note will be made on your room record so that, if you happen to also visit the front desk the next day, they have a record of the call and your issue.

To the PP who asked if you can call 911, yes, I suppose I could have. It was 5:00 am and we were flustered and scared, so I dialed 0 quickly and got some help.

Doesn't 911 work in Orlando?

Yes it does. And I believe that dialing 9-1-1 from a resort room phone will bring not only law enforcement/EMS but also automatically alerts WDW Security to respond as well.

OP - I agree with others to go to the front desk if noise is bothersome. Have you considered a white noise app on your phone to try and cover up some outside noises? Or another trip, maybe a whits noise machine.

Enjoy your vacation!

Honestly if this were our situation we would ask to be moved to another room of equal quality or better rather than wait for the hotel staff to suggest to your neighbors they stop being so noisy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter