When you first bought DVC...

I see a lot of people weighed in, but! I’m turning 40 next year, we bought in before kids, but knew we’d be having kids in the no-so-distant future. Now have a 3 year old.

Started with a low amount of points, have now added 2 more contracts (1 direct, 1 resale).

One of the BEST decisions we’ve made. While we were pregnant, I rented out points we couldn’t use, paid for 1/6 of initial buy in.

Only wish we bought in earlier.

I bought when I was 21, no kids. Best investment I ever made. I've had it for close to 17 years and now I'm married with a 5 yr old. We go to Disney 2 times a year and absolutely love it. I cant't imagine selling it or not having it.

I am 36, husband is 37. We have three boys, almost 6, almost 8, and 6 months. I was finally able to persuade my husband to buy DVC after the third kid kind of reset the clock for us lifestyle wise. We made an offer and it's been accepted so now it's just a matter of signing contracts and closing! Wish we had done it earlier (just look at my signature!) I don't think I could have convinced him without our multiple trips to Hilton Head, and that in fact is what we are buying.

We are in the process of buying at Saratoga (just waiting on the papers to sign) after a few years of trying to convince my husband. I'm 33 and he's 34. No kids. I'm already looking at small resale contracts to add-on :)

Bought in 2001 at age 31. Had a 1-year-old at the time. Now have 3 girls (18, 16 & 14). Other than purchasing our home, best financial decision we've made. Only regret is not purchasing a few more points back then.

DH and I were mid to late 20s, our dd was just under 3. Points were half the costs they are now. DD just graduated college and the DS that didn't exist at the time is going to be a senior in HS and we are in our late 40s. We are making another family trip down in August. The senior in HS just sent me a text saying I didn't post a 28 days left picture! I used to do 30 day countdown cards with Disney pictures and stuff when they were little (actually every trip, ha ha). This time I decided you use technology and text everyone a picture of my countdown clock and I change the picture every day to have pics from when they were little. Even though the kids get older, they really still love the place and the excitement it brings.... Can't believe they called me out for missing a day!

DH and I were mid to late 20s, our dd was just under 3. Points were half the costs they are now. DD just graduated college and the DS that didn't exist at the time is going to be a senior in HS and we are in our late 40s. We are making another family trip down in August. The senior in HS just sent me a text saying I didn't post a 28 days left picture! I used to do 30 day countdown cards with Disney pictures and stuff when they were little (actually every trip, ha ha). This time I decided you use technology and text everyone a picture of my countdown clock and I change the picture every day to have pics from when they were little. Even though the kids get older, they really still love the place and the excitement it brings.... Can't believe they called me out for missing a day!

Oh, I can - my very capable 25 yr old DD chastised me for not sending her, 'packing list'. I got on it and sent it 2 days ago.

How old was everyone when you first bought into DVC? Also, what life stage were you at? Like, did you have young kids, older kids etc.

I’m asking as a 28 year old with no kids, but I go to Disney often. Just wanting to get some perspectives from people of different life stages of when to buy in

We were in our early 40's, kids were 6 & 10. Now they are 24 & 28. We have loved DVC!

DH and I bought in 2010 at 31 and 32. No kids. Standard (at the time) 160 buy in. We have 2 kids now (DD 6 and 3). We have contemplated buying more points, but for now we make do with the 160. :)

We joined DVC the year after our third child was born. We had made a few trips to Disney before he was born and knew we'd be making more and with a family of 5, there weren't many options in 2001 for rooms that 5 could fit in. So, we joined DVC. Our daughter is 25 and loves Disney as much as we do. I think as soon as she is settled in her job and knows she can handle it financially, she'll probably purchase her very own contract. We don't give her our points as often as she would like :)

Last year.....early/mid 40's.....kids 19 and 15.

Technically, my DD19 was put on the deed so 19, no kids for her ;)

I think about saying "wish we'd done it sooner" but our earlier trips were very cost effective. We were always able to travel when there were good deals / offers / pin codes. I was looking at some old trip folders (yes I keep all that crap) and we had 7 nights of free dining in a mod for $2500 or less (tickets included) multiple times, paid $129/night for POR once and $55/night for POP once and took advantage of all the little work arounds like buying the best deal UT tix and bridging them, upgrading to non-exp, etc and so on. (Don't recall exactly how all that worked)

It was when the kids both became adults, the discounts started diminishing, loopholes started closing.....renting points or buying DVC became the best deal.

We're already planning an add-on but still keeping our ownership "small" so that we can supplement with "deals" as they may come along in the future!

We purchased first contract 12/1999, kid was already grown and gone. We used to go at least once a year, if not more, but while we still love the place all the planning you need to do with fast passes, dining and the increases in ticket prices the bloom is going off of the rose. Frankly if it wasn't for being able to rent the points out and use the money on the cruise line we might have sold a couple years ago.

We were 31 and 26 with our oldest 6 months old. Now she's 12 and she has an 11 year old brother. I took DW on her first trip a year after we got married. Loved it. DW was sent to a conference at the Beach Club when she was 6 months expecting our first. I think I just wore DW down that it was worth doing. We stayed at Port Orleans on our first trip and the Beach Club on that conference trip. The difference was enough for DW to say yes. About a year later, we purchased a resale and have owned since 2006. It has totally changed how we vacationed, especially during really tough financial times. It was originally how we were able to afford really nice vacations. Now, it's a really nice supplement to really really nice vacations. I wouldn't say we wish we had done it earlier because we couldn't have afforded it, but I've never regretted it. Never. We know very few people that vacation as much as we do. As a CPA, I don't think I'd be able to convince DW to spend the money to stay in even a moderate resort every few years. Even today, I don't tell her how much any of our vacations cost. It would just stress her out and make her suggest a "staycation"....and you know we don't....

We only own 125 Boardwalk points, but how we use them has always been perfect for us. We love the BWV and while we also love BLT, the lower point values at BWV help make the lower point contract work for us. We are now at a point where we do three trips in 12 months. The first and last with the kids and the middle with just DW and I. We take a year or two off and do a Disney Cruise or some other vacation in between and we do the cycle over again every few years. It works for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter