When you cruise from NYC...

We did NYC to Bermuda this October. Sea was very rough the last night, but there were gale -force winds in the city, so t wasn’t a normal cruise thing. Remember that your last sea day will be more NYC weather than Caribbean weather, so you lose one day of basking in the sun in your bikini.

I live in Brooklyn so can’t help with hotels. We took an uber from home (and then dropped my child off at school en route home from the port!). Sorry I don’t have a guest room for you!

We have done the Nov 3-10 NYC to Disney World Cruise for the last 2 yrs now. This year the seas weren’t bad but did have a storm on the way back.
View attachment 467841

The year before was rough seas heading back to port. Photo of the family pool becoming a wave pool as the ship was rocking so hard the pool was splashing feet into the air.
View attachment 467839
We were on board with you. The roughest day I remember was the first day returning from Port Canaveral.

We just got back from our anniversary weekend in NYC, I found a hotel I have been wanting to stay at and we got a great deal.
It's called Park Terrace, its across the street from Bryant Park, very close to Time Square. We got a studio view room, which was a nice size, the rooms are beautiful and so clean, great bed too.
They offer a delicious breakfast every morning included in the price.
Doughnuts from Doughnut Plant and delicious bagels from Zuckermans. They have fruit, cold cuts, cheese and so much more.
This is my new favorite hotel in NYC.

I am seeing a lot of hotels in the city now have a resort fee (Marriot Marquis is one of them) I find this so annoying, NYC is so tight, I don't call any of these places "resorts".

I saved it on Pinterest as well. This is my favorite kind of hotel. The breakfast looks absolutely awesome.

And I agree with you on the resort fees.

We did NYC to Bermuda this October. Sea was very rough the last night, but there were gale -force winds in the city, so t wasn’t a normal cruise thing. Remember that your last sea day will be more NYC weather than Caribbean weather, so you lose one day of basking in the sun in your bikini.

I live in Brooklyn so can’t help with hotels. We took an uber from home (and then dropped my child off at school en route home from the port!). Sorry I don’t have a guest room for you!

That makes sense. Not sure what will happen on that day. It’s going to be our wedding anniversary (10th!) so I think we’ll spend a lot of time in restaurants, celebrating.

I wonder is the hot tub is hot enough? LOL

We sailed end of Oct into early Nov 2018. We drove down from Mass the day of the cruise. We didn't stay in a hotel, but the cruise port/pier could not have been any easier to board/disembark. I literally dropped my wife & kids off at curb so I could go park our car, and before I could get to the elevator she was calling me to tell me to hurry up as they were at security screening to get in! Seas were a little choppy going to Bermuda and back, but the Magic took it with ease. Enjoy your trip!

We sailed out of NYC in Nov '18. We stayed in Newark the night before and took a Lyft to the port. It was SUPER easy and they dropped us off at the door. When we got back we stayed in the city a few days at the Holiday Inn Express New York-Manhattan West Side. We were able to walk to the hotel from port with our baggage easily and were close to everything that we wanted to do. We walked or took the subway. The hotel is small and didn't look like much from the outside, but it was comfortable and convenient and you can't beat the price.
The weather was ALL OVER the place. It was freezing when we left, then got progressively warmer the further south we got. It was in the high 80s both days in port (CC and WDW) and then cold the rest of the trip back to NYC and there was snow on the ground when we got to NYC, but it was a great trip and you really can't beat sailing out of NYC.

471187 471188

We sailed out of NYC in Nov '18. We stayed in Newark the night before and took a Lyft to the port. It was SUPER easy and they dropped us off at the door. When we got back we stayed in the city a few days at the Holiday Inn Express New York-Manhattan West Side. We were able to walk to the hotel from port with our baggage easily and were close to everything that we wanted to do. We walked or took the subway. The hotel is small and didn't look like much from the outside, but it was comfortable and convenient and you can't beat the price.
The weather was ALL OVER the place. It was freezing when we left, then got progressively warmer the further south we got. It was in the high 80s both days in port (CC and WDW) and then cold the rest of the trip back to NYC and there was snow on the ground when we got to NYC, but it was a great trip and you really can't beat sailing out of NYC.

View attachment 471187 View attachment 471188

Thank you for the hotel recommendation. I added it to my list.

Those pictures are absolutely phenomenal. Did you take them early in the morning or as you were leaving?

Thank you for the hotel recommendation. I added it to my list.

Those pictures are absolutely phenomenal. Did you take them early in the morning or as you were leaving?
It was as we were leaving (we left late) But it was totally worth it for the sunset views. :) The sun was set by the time we passed the Statue of Liberty, but it was BEAUTIFUL all lit up. The second picture is about as close as you'll get to it. We were at the front of the ship when we passed it.

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone here who went on a cruise that departed from NYC...

1) How was the sea? (I heard the sea was rough between NYC and the south.)

2) Where do you stay? Are you aware of any good hotel that would offer cruise packages?

EDIT: Take notes that we'll be travelling with seniors so we plan to stay in Manhattan in order to reduce transportation as much as possible.

3) Any other tips would be very much appreciated! (Tips from locals would be very much appreciated for this one!)

Thanks in advance!
I have not read the other replies, but we cruised on the Magic from NYC 11/2019.
1- We did not find it rougher than normal getting down the east coast, though we could have just gotten lucky with the weather.

2- we stayed in Manhattan 1 night at a Hilton brand where we had points, otherwise it would have been $250ish (and probably worth it). I think we were around 55th near 7th ave?? somewhere in that area.

We had my 80 year old mother with us. We used uber to and from dinner and then to the port in the morning. $20-$30 every trip but super easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter