When WDW re-opens: Price hike or lots of discounts??

When WDW re-open, do you expect a price hike or lots of discounts?

• Price hike

Votes: 115 27.1%
  • Lots of discounts

Votes: 309 72.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Temporary" 50%+ increase in ticket prices under the name of keeping up with CoViD requirements while still giving the maximum offerings and see where it goes.

"Temporary" 50%+ increase in ticket prices under the name of keeping up with CoViD requirements while still giving the maximum offerings and see where it goes.
I know this is in jest, but it is a good point --- but if COVID doesn't scare off guests, Disney MAY have to increase prices to decrease demand (and thus reduce capacity). Disney is a weird situation where they could be overwhelmed with people not caring about the virus and just wanting to "escape" after being cooped up for 2 months and either has the negative perception of "not being safe" .. or truly becoming a virus hotspot.

Disney normal discount rooms 25% over the summer. Not counting July 4 weekend. With the fear in people. I think a 30% discount with free dining.

Also remember, Many people are not working. Most likely don’t have extra vacation money. And if you were not working for six to eight weeks. Can you ask for vacation a few weeks back at work.

AP holders already paid for there tickets. That money is gone already. Disney needs cash. New, fast cash. They need there restaurants doing business

People seem to think the parks will be packed this summer if they reopen. I'm not so sure. There are people with financial problems plus people who might be nervous due to fear of illness. There will be room discounts. If the economy rebounds, I see next year being more crowded, especially with the 50th.

There are a lot of DVC contracts up for sale at reduced prices. I watch Beach Club DVC. There are 10 contracts up for sale (unusual ) There are some in the $130s/$140s range. Normally in the $165 and up.

I know this is in jest, but it is a good point --- but if COVID doesn't scare off guests, Disney MAY have to increase prices to decrease demand (and thus reduce capacity). Disney is a weird situation where they could be overwhelmed with people not caring about the virus and just wanting to "escape" after being cooped up for 2 months and either has the negative perception of "not being safe" .. or truly becoming a virus hotspot.

I just can't imagine it from the normal family, especially if any of the polls I see all the time are remotely close to accurate. I think it was on here yesterday someone posted one where 72% of people would not feel comfortable flying in the first 60 days after this is over. Now I suspect a lot of people might say one thing now and do another when they have the chance, but that's still a pretty significant amount of people saying they are unwilling to travel, much less for something unnecessary like a specific vacation to Disney.

I don't see it becoming the 9/11 ghost town some people do, and are maybe hoping for. But I do think it will be noticeably dead for at least the first month or so, unless Disney waited until it really really seemed over, which doesn't seem to be the case with all the new guidelines. No point in having those if you are going to wait until we are 100% in the clear. At least I would hope not...

In my view, the demand for WDW won't be an issue once they open up. Plenty of people will want to come.

The issue will be the many people who want to come won't be able to afford it, even with deep discounts. Lots of people singularly focused on everything virus have pretty much forgotten that 1 of every 5 Americans of working age are unemployed right now. So many really have no idea just how permanently damaged our economy is, unless you're a small biz owner like me or you have lost your job. There's going to be so many people behind on things like mortgage payments, car payments, and other financial notes that scheduling a WDW vacation will be #1209445409 on the to-do list. The measures that WDW will likely put in place regarding lower capacity, distancing, etc. will naturally work itself out because a large swath of people who would probably come won't be able to do it.

I think WDW sees this too, and I'll be shocked if this fall won't be one of the cheapest time periods to visit WDW in recent memory, perhaps since 9/11. Between cheaper packages and cheaper airline flights, those who want to go and can afford to do so will probably see it at least 30% cheaper than 'normal'.

Last edited:
I just can't imagine it from the normal family, especially if any of the polls I see all the time are remotely close to accurate. I think it was on here yesterday someone posted one where 72% of people would not feel comfortable flying in the first 60 days after this is over. Now I suspect a lot of people might say one thing now and do another when they have the chance, but that's still a pretty significant amount of people saying they are unwilling to travel, much less for something unnecessary like a specific vacation to Disney.

I don't see it becoming the 9/11 ghost town some people do, and are maybe hoping for. But I do think it will be noticeably dead for at least the first month or so, unless Disney waited until it really really seemed over, which doesn't seem to be the case with all the new guidelines. No point in having those if you are going to wait until we are 100% in the clear. At least I would hope not...
True -- I see this virus as being "out of sight, out of mind" for most people after a while (we area already getting there). Most people in this country haven't been directly or indirectly affected by the virus itself (as in . .they haven't got it, they don't know anyone who has it, they may know a friend of a friend who has it) and thus are more confident to get back out there. You are seeing that all over the country. Despite things being still "locked down' .. more and more people are out and about, going to parks, going to beaches, stores, restaurants (for take out), visiting family (we are).

But . .when it is reported there are less than 90 cases total in your particular county/city and most of those have already recovered, there isn't much to fear going about your normal lives at this point. And once people start doing that locally, they will feel more confident (just like they do during a cold/flu season) going to a crowded place like Disney.

But if the virus has affected someone's life (a close relative has it) .. then those people probably won't go out and about for a long, long time.

In my view, the demand for WDW won't be an issue once they open up. Plenty of people will want to come.

The issue will be the many people who want to come won't be able to afford it, even with deep discounts. Lots of people singularly focused on everything virus have pretty much forgotten that 1 of every 5 Americans are unemployed right now.

The measures that WDW will likely put in place regarding lower capacity, distancing, etc. will naturally work itself out.

I think you’ll see business travelers first. I flew every month after 9-11 for business.

True -- I see this virus as being "out of sight, out of mind" for most people after a while (we area already getting there). Most people in this country haven't been directly or indirectly affected by the virus itself (as in . .they haven't got it, they don't know anyone who has it, they may know a friend of a friend who has it) and thus are more confident to get back out there. You are seeing that all over the country. Despite things being still "locked down' .. more and more people are out and about, going to parks, going to beaches, stores, restaurants (for take out), visiting family (we are).

But . .when it is reported there are less than 90 cases total in your particular county/city and most of those have already recovered, there isn't much to fear going about your normal lives at this point. And once people start doing that locally, they will feel more confident (just like they do during a cold/flu season) going to a crowded place like Disney.

But if the virus has affected someone's life (a close relative has it) .. then those people probably won't go out and about for a long, long time.

I hope you're right. I'm from a more rural area myself and that's how most people back home seem to view it. I just have the opposite fear that it won't be out of sight out of mind. It will be a lingering thing that unnecessarily leads to us making drastic permanent changes for the worse, ala TSA at airports. No more fireworks or parades.

The issue will be the many people who want to come won't be able to afford it, even with deep discounts. Lots of people singularly focused on everything virus have pretty much forgotten that 1 of every 5 Americans of working age are unemployed right now. So many really have no idea just how permanently damaged our economy is, unless you're a small biz owner like me or you have lost your job.

The measures that WDW will likely put in place regarding lower capacity, distancing, etc. will naturally work itself out because a large swath of people who would probably come won't be able to do it.

Seriously. It’s wild to me that people think the parks will be flooded and crowds will be back to anything resembling what they were any time soon. People have steadily been underestimating the economic impact. As it was, even before the virus hit, many people were already on the bubble of being priced out with the last round of increases. So many people are out of work now. How many of the “once in a lifetime” families are even thinking about a Disney vacation right now as they’re trying to get through to state Unemployment? Trust me I see what people are worried about, because of my job, and it’s not whether or not they’ll have to wear a mask on a plane or whether their kids will get to hug a princess.

Seriously. It’s wild to me that people think the parks will be flooded and crowds will be back to anything resembling what they were any time soon. People have steadily been underestimating the economic impact. As it was, even before the virus hit, many people were already on the bubble of being priced out with the last round of increases. So many people are out of work now. How many of the “once in a lifetime” families are even thinking about a Disney vacation right now as they’re trying to get through to state Unemployment? Trust me I see what people are worried about, because of my job, and it’s not whether or not they’ll have to wear a mask on a plane or whether their kids will get to hug a princess.
True .. but I think the economic impacts will be father down the line for MOST of the "go to Disney" crowd. Most of the unemployment is probably in the lower income job range, unfortunately. The higher income job losses will probably come later this year as companies shrink due to shrinking/changing demand. Small business owners, high-level managers in the sevice industry, customer support or tech staff for large companies (like airlines, tourist industry, etc.).

There may be enough people (in the short term) that had the money already spent, or still has savings that a trip to Disney will be "worth" it when it opens back up.

I think you’ll see business travelers first. I flew every month after 9-11 for business.

Could be right. I know that people are infatuated with the whole "tele-meeting" craze, but nothing beats or replaces the face-to-face business meeting.

Mark me down for the guess that they will offer special deals for Florida residents to stay on limited properties of theirs to entice locals to visit first, and then evaluate how that works. By and large, the central Florida target audience would be considered "local community" with similar case counts and would be a more controlled scenario to roll out the reopening.

True .. but I think the economic impacts will be father down the line for MOST of the "go to Disney" crowd. Most of the unemployment is probably in the lower income job range, unfortunately. The higher income job losses will probably come later this year as companies shrink due to shrinking/changing demand. Small business owners, high-level managers in the sevice industry, customer support or tech staff for large companies (like airlines, tourist industry, etc.).

There may be enough people (in the short term) that had the money already spent, or still has savings that a trip to Disney will be "worth" it when it opens back up.

Literally the first thing to go when the economy is bad is expensive vacations, regardless of economic status. The average person is not remotely thinking about a Disney trip right now and won’t be for a long time. When there starts to be more of an uptick in travel, most will opt for cheaper trips closer to home in the beginning.

Folks need to take the Disney fan goggles off for a sec. Diehards like us who will go regardless are a distinct minority when it comes to guests.

Literally the first thing to go when the economy is bad is expensive vacations, regardless of economic status. The average person is not remotely thinking about a Disney trip right now and won’t be for a long time. When there starts to be more of an uptick in travel, most will opt for cheaper trips closer to home in the beginning.

Folks need to take the Disney fan goggles off for a sec. Diehards like us who will go regardless are a distinct minority when it comes to guests.
I don't disagree with you .. I don't think people will be flocking to Disney this summer or even this fall without some serious incentives from Disney (and even those may not be enough in the short-term). That's why I wonder if Disney is even just contemplating it not being worth it to even open up for a while longer.

I am just saying that there are many (those lucky enough to have office jobs working from home) that haven't been impacted at all with this . and probably spending a lot less money, so have a lot more disposable income on hand in the short term. But I agree . .I think economic impact, plus fear of virus will keep Disney from being "flooded" for a VERY long time.

At least some of that 20% unemployment right now is voluntary. There was a news story last night where employers were saying they had lots of job openings but nobody's applying. One said they needed to fill 30 positions but only had 2 applicants and neither was qualified. So, there's that.

At least some of that 20% unemployment right now is voluntary. There was a news story last night where employers were saying they had lots of job openings but nobody's applying. One said they needed to fill 30 positions but only had 2 applicants and neither was qualified. So, there's that.

People won't go to work for a different job that pays them less than what they are getting in unemployment from their current job for doing nothing. The problem is going to come in July when the 'bonus' unemployment ends, and people are back to 'regular' unemployment, which pays not near as much. Thing is, many companies are using this time to re-structure their businesses so many jobs that are layoffs now will become permanent, and lots of people laid off right now are going to have a rude awakening in a couple months.

One reason you're seeing furloughs instead of layoffs is because it gives the employer an easier time to hire people back because they're still paying employee benefits, specifically health insurance. A furlough is basically an unpaid vacation. I believe this is what Disney is doing. Furloughs usually allow employees to maintain their health insurance and other benefits, so its harder for them to leave and go elsewhere permanently. But not every employer can afford to do this. This is why the economic and job losses are catastrophic for small business, who rely on just a handful of well-trained people to make their place go.

Reactions: cm8
I don't think people are going to stay away. The problem will be capacity.
Yep. They basically said they believe people will be ready to come back as soon as it opens, and that they won't have trouble hitting their max capacity at each step... no matter the number (in the quarterly report today). I'd say it will likely be more expensive to go than less initially. Maybe next year if the economy is still struggling we'll see the discounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts