When to visit Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Tokyo? Expansions, etc.

YawningDodo

DIS Veteran
I'm planning to visit all the Disney parks in the world, and after this year I'll be down to the Asian parks. Google tells me that Tokyo will be getting an expansion to Fantasyland opening in 2020, and Hong Kong is getting two new lands, including a Marvel land opening 2023. Is Shanghai slated for any expansions? I didn't find anything online so far.

I had initially brought this up in the cruise forum because I have a DCL placeholder expiring near the end of January 2020 and I'm debating whether to take the cruise or aim to go on my first trip to Asia a bit sooner. I plan to make at least two trips of it because I can only leave work for up to two weeks at a time and I want to have at least a little time to spend in the surrounding cities rather than doing all parks all the time, and the natural division seems to be one trip to Japan and one trip covering both Hong Kong and Shanghai. Those with experience with the parks, does that division make sense? And when would you go? I'm not going to say for absolute certain that I won't ever be back after these trips, but it's possible that this may be my only go at it.

If I go on the cruise in early 2020, I would say at a rough guess that I would probably be waiting until 2022 to make a trip to Japan or to China. If I don't take the cruise, I might be able to take the first trip as soon as 2021. It'd almost certainly be Japan either way, given Hong Kong's expansion timeline. I guess I could do Tokyo and Shanghai together in one trip and revisit my favorite of the two whenever I visit Hong Kong? Thoughts? Opinions? Both Tokyo and Hong Kong sound like really fun places to visit in and of themselves and I'm debating how long to spend in each city, too; I haven't read enough about Shanghai yet to know how I feel about it.

Tokyo and Japan itself are worth an extended visit. I agree with Japan by itself and then Shanghai and Hong Kong together. You can spend two weeks in Osaka, Kyoto, Mount Fuji and Tokyo.

This is the correct advice. I've traveled a lot and Japan still remains my favorite trip. Awesome, awesome place. You can do HK and Shanghai on another trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!