when to go-Thanksgiving or Christmas?

lindym

Mouseketeer
We have never been to Disney during all of the Christmas decorations. We can either go Nov 24-28, 2004 or dec 25 - 30,2004. Which would be better taking into consideration crowds, attractions, Christmas decorations, etc? Please advise based on this years experiences. Thank you.

I can't comment on Thanksgiving, but we just got back from a trip from Dec 25-31. It started out crowded but manageable for us, but the crowds steadily grew throughout the week. MK was closed around 11:00 on 12/29, AK was closed sometime in the morning on 12/30, and I think MK might have been too. Wait times for many rides were 1 1/2 to 2 hours long. The only ride we rode on our last day was Mission Space, because we were at Epcot 20 minutes before it opened, and we still had a 25 minute wait once we got to the ride! We ended up spending more time having fun in the stores and people watching(and eating!).

I have been wanting to see WDW at Christmas for some time, so I am glad that we went, but I doubt we will do it again during that week. We had all our ps times in place before we went, but we saw many people turned away that did not plan ahead. On the night of 12/28, we watched group after group try to get seated at Crystal Palace as a walk-in, only to be told that all sit-down restaurants were filled for the night, and the CM was recommending room service instead.

Don't get me wrong, we still had a good time! We saw Cirque Du Soleil, the Candlelight Processional with Gary Sinise, DH did the Richard Petty Driving Experience, and other non-park activities. We did have fun in the parks, too, we just didn't do that many rides. I think if we want to see WDW at Christmas time again, we would go for a long weekend earlier in December or maybe even try it at Thanksgiving. Hopefully you will hear from people who went duirng that time to give you a comparison of the crowds.

Both time periods are extremely busy, so I would through that out of your equation. I definitely would suggest staying on property for either time. Traditionally the week between xmas and NYs is the busiest of the entire year. The xmas decorations and shows begin Thanks. weekend. You will also need to make advanced PS before you arrive, keep in mind the 90-120 day rule.

Ultimately I would choose according to whichever time works best for you

At WDW is the most magical time of year I would go then.I think it would be a great experience.Use Fast Pass and Early Entry and a basic touring plan in place and you will be fine with the crowds.Be flexible and have a great time.::yes:: :goodvibes :wave2:

We were lucky enough to do both this year. All the Christmas decorations are up for the Thanksgiving weekend. Usually the weather is better too, but this year Xmas is way above normal:smooth: The crowds are large for thanksgiving but they are way too large for Christmas. The parks closed many times due to capacity in the last week. I also missedd being at home for Chistmas. I am glad I went, but Thanksgiving and weekend after give you the opportunity to experience all the Holiday magic with lower crowds. I will do Thanksgiving every year but Xmas maybe every five.

Thanksgiving is better than Christmas but either of them would be cool!! The decorations are awesome!!

Pixie

Both will probably be crowded.. I was there for2004..
I loved it. It was VERY crowded, but it was also very magical.

We got there early in the morning and was able to go on a few rides before the crowd started.. You can also do another less crowded park on Christmas.

The atomsphere is amazing - all the lights and decorations are incrediable.

Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter