When to book for best rates?

bweagle

DIS Veteran
Planning on going to Universal next May/June. We want to book at Royal Pacific for Express Passes. When should I book for best rates? Thinking about doing it now, but wasn't sure if rates would fall in the winter. Thoughts about how far in advance to book?

Planning on going to Universal next May/June. We want to book at Royal Pacific for Express Passes. When should I book for best rates? Thinking about doing it now, but wasn't sure if rates would fall in the winter. Thoughts about how far in advance to book?

Book it now.

If you book direct you can check and have the rate adjusted if it does go down.

I just came here to ask (or perhaps re-ask) this question. Thank you! I have already booked a one night stay at Loews Pacific (very excited!).

I'm familiar with monitoring Disney prices/discounts and modifying my reservation with them. How do you do this for Universal hotels? First time staying at one!

Second, somewhat unrelated question, do you think it'll be like a huge let down to go from Loews Pacific to Disney's Port Orleans Riverside?

I just came here to ask (or perhaps re-ask) this question. Thank you! I have already booked a one night stay at Loews Pacific (very excited!).

I'm familiar with monitoring Disney prices/discounts and modifying my reservation with them. How do you do this for Universal hotels? First time staying at one!

Second, somewhat unrelated question, do you think it'll be like a huge let down to go from Loews Pacific to Disney's Port Orleans Riverside?

I`m sure people check the Loews or Universal hotel websites. I`ve never done it but see folks comment on it.

As for a huge let down coming from RP......I have no idea...….

I remember POFQ being very lovely, so Riverside will be similar. Nice resort.

RP however is beautiful...…..it has a lovely feel about it and very resort feel around it. And of course no EP :D

Sorry, not much help there...….I`m sure you`ll enjoy both resorts for what they are...…..

I`m sure people check the Loews or Universal hotel websites. I`ve never done it but see folks comment on it.

As for a huge let down coming from RP......I have no idea...….

I remember POFQ being very lovely, so Riverside will be similar. Nice resort.

RP however is beautiful...…..it has a lovely feel about it and very resort feel around it. And of course no EP :D

Sorry, not much help there...….I`m sure you`ll enjoy both resorts for what they are...…..

No, you're very helpful! Thank you for sharing some of your thoughts. I think switching to POR will be fine -- my bf already likes Universal more than Disney anyway. So I'll just throw some more fuel on that fire ;) And I'll keep checking the Loews website.

No EP -- I'm having a severe moment and can't think of what that stands for. The stay does come with Unlimited Express Pass, correct? I'm excited to try it, the resort does look lovely.

Sorry, yes, Express Pass...….

It`s worth it`s weight in gold!!! Even in so called quiet times......we love it and wouldn't be without it touring the parks!

RP is gorgeous...….I know you`ll be happy with your choice.....:)

You can call Loews if you find a cheaper rate and they will help you rebook. I have not had to rebook but have called with other questions and they have been great.
Booking one night at RP will give you two days of Express passes so you are set there if you want to do two days at Universal.
We did a split visit last year. A week at Cabana Bay then one night at the Contemporary. That one night at a Disney hotel gave us free parking for two days at Disney (we drove down so that was a huge benefit for us) and a late night at Magic Kingdom with extra magic hours. That turned out to be our best day at Disney! Loved that late night. It was posted for midnight closing but they extended the hours until 1 am. So do take a look at the calendar to see when they might post late night hours and you can kind of plan when to go to Disney and when to Universal. We ended our trip with Universal and found it to be fabulous to finally let go of fast passes and just enjoy the parks. LOL!

I was also wondering how far in advance Universal releases AP rates. It looks like the current AP rate is only through September at Loews Pacific.

We are going October 22nd and I am just now seeing a few AP rates pop up. RP seems to be booked except for the expensive suites. So looks like about two months before you might see AP rates come up. On the Universal Orlando web site you can click on the header that says Annual Passholders and down in the middle of that page is a blue tab that says Hotels and Packages. That tab shows suggested rates for now until Sept. 27th. So not very far in advance. This is my second year booking Universal hotels and I have yet to be able to beat the stay more save more rates I got in January and February when I booked for our late October trips. We did go 7 days last year and are staying 5 days this year. I do know the longer you stay on SMSM the bigger the discount.
My advice if you are going to stay 5 days or more check way in advance for the stay more save more rates. You won't beat them. If I remember correctly they did not show up until the year I was going. I checked in December 2017 for this year and nothing was showing. In February 2018 they were showing up. If you are only going for a night or two book if you are worried about getting a room then check for AP rates two months in advance.

Best way to check for AP rates is use the link in the first post under the thread APH Rates Are Currently Available in this section. Just change the dates and number of persons for your reservation.

We are going October 22nd and I am just now seeing a few AP rates pop up. RP seems to be booked except for the expensive suites. So looks like about two months before you might see AP rates come up. On the Universal Orlando web site you can click on the header that says Annual Passholders and down in the middle of that page is a blue tab that says Hotels and Packages. That tab shows suggested rates for now until Sept. 27th. So not very far in advance. This is my second year booking Universal hotels and I have yet to be able to beat the stay more save more rates I got in January and February when I booked for our late October trips. We did go 7 days last year and are staying 5 days this year. I do know the longer you stay on SMSM the bigger the discount.
My advice if you are going to stay 5 days or more check way in advance for the stay more save more rates. You won't beat them. If I remember correctly they did not show up until the year I was going. I checked in December 2017 for this year and nothing was showing. In February 2018 they were showing up. If you are only going for a night or two book if you are worried about getting a room then check for AP rates two months in advance.

Best way to check for AP rates is use the link in the first post under the thread APH Rates Are Currently Available in this section. Just change the dates and number of persons for your reservation.

Thank you so much for your advice! I’ll check out the links in the APH thread. We’re only staying for one night, so hopefully I’ll be able to find something. But it won’t be the end of the world if I don’t.

I always say to book the rate you can live with in case there is no decrease on the room rate in the future.

You can always book to secure your room and call if you see a drop in the rate.

I usually book by January of the current year I am booking a room.
If I know I will be at UO in January or February, I usually book it by
September

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!