When should we go to Tokyo Disney?

Nick6300

DIS Veteran
We're only just now beginning to think about dates. I looked at a crowd calendar and saw that 4/10-4/13 during cherry blossoms would be a low crowds time (but maybe not as warm as desired at 60's F high). We also saw that 4/24-4/27, 5/8-8/11, 5/15-5/18, and much of June were low crowds too (not as low as that 2nd week of April, but warmer). Would like to stick to between 1st and 2nd qtr, but would say that we're looking for lowest crowds as highest priority, then aspects such as pleasant weather (less rain, upper 60s to low 80s F) and Easter celebration is lower down the list. The 35th anniversary celebration ends in March. I'm not sure from a hotel/airfare cost standpoint which of these dates are best, but a glance at flights from Chicago - they were really high at up to $2k per person to add Hong Kong. Any thoughts on which dates to pick and why?

I have researched airfare with the possibility of flying out of Chicago (ORD), and it's way cheaper to fly to LAX, stay one night in LA, and then fly to Japan - and the same on the return flight. The only cheap flights out of Chicago are ones with layovers - the non-stop flights seem to always be expensive.

There's a flight search tool I just discovered from one of the many Japan planning sites I've gotten lost in since I started working on planning our first Asian adventure, and it is incredible for figuring out multi-city itineraries. We're in the Detroit area and just searching Kayak or Delta gives me $2K+ pp r/t if I go Detroit to Tokyo to Hong Kong to Detroit (or switch the two destinations), but this site found it for about the same price as Detroit to Tokyo without the detour. It takes some playing around with, but it is so much better than any other airfare search tool I've ever used that it is well worth it!

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

I have researched airfare with the possibility of flying out of Chicago (ORD), and it's way cheaper to fly to LAX, stay one night in LA, and then fly to Japan - and the same on the return flight. The only cheap flights out of Chicago are ones with layovers - the non-stop flights seem to always be expensive.
We are flying out of Chicago non stop next year but are flying on points. We began planning our trip in May so we had time to earn enough points to transfer to miles. If we weren’t flying with miles I would’ve flown to lax and from lax to Tokyo.

There's a flight search tool I just discovered from one of the many Japan planning sites I've gotten lost in since I started working on planning our first Asian adventure, and it is incredible for figuring out multi-city itineraries. We're in the Detroit area and just searching Kayak or Delta gives me $2K+ pp r/t if I go Detroit to Tokyo to Hong Kong to Detroit (or switch the two destinations), but this site found it for about the same price as Detroit to Tokyo without the detour. It takes some playing around with, but it is so much better than any other airfare search tool I've ever used that it is well worth it!

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

Thanks, yes I’ve used ita once before and does seem to be a good tool. It was only $700 for my trip to shanghai/korea last April, so sort of a shock how high these Japan prices are.

We’re big tigers fans too (from Flint, now in IL). Was just checking on they’re 19 draft position tonight.

Will look into LAX, thank you. Wish we had more time to spare overnight connections but will look into this.

TDR is the only review I’ve read. Thank you. Do you know if the May 2018 closures for Journey and ToT are likely to occur same time 2019 or random?
I’m worried about this too. We get to book plane tickets this week but I would be super bummed if Journey is closed while we are there.

I’m worried about this too. We get to book plane tickets this week but I would be super bummed if Journey is closed while we are there.
I don’t even know what journey is yet (ride or show) but any non clone or near clone from WDW would certainly be higher priority.

What days in May did you pick and was it mainly crowds that determined your choice?

Unsure if we’re going to have any time to tour, but if you had only a day to choose place near TDL - could you mention some?

I don’t even know what journey is yet (ride or show) but any non clone or near clone from WDW would certainly be higher priority.

What days in May did you pick and was it mainly crowds that determined your choice?

Unsure if we’re going to have any time to tour, but if you had only a day to choose place near TDL - could you mention some?

Journey is Journey to the Center of the Earth, an e-ticket ride based on the Jules Verne novel. It’s located in Mysterious Island, which is in the center of the park. It’s similar to Test Track and Radiator Springs Racers, but the themeing is unique.

Mid May is good because the weather is generally warm but not hot. Crowds aren’t bad because early May is Golden week, so most locals have just had vacation and are back at school/work.

Of course even then you’d want to avoid the weekends, and they say Fridays are usually better than Mondays.

It’s pretty easy to take a train into Tokyo. There’s lots to explore in Tokyo Station and the area around it, but you could also take a one day tour of Tokyo, where they drive you around some sights and get out for a few temples/gardens. Or you can hop on the subway to explore some areas on your own.

Like the pp said, journey is a ride that you can’t find in the states so that’s why I really want to ride it.

We haven’t gotten dates exact yet because plane tickets back are so scarce. We are hoping to go may 12 and come back two weeks later but I’m thinking we may have to go later in May. It was mainly crowds but also weather. We will be coming from the Midwest and I don’t want to leave snow only to be somewhere else that is cold. I was initially wanting March but I just want nicer weather. I also read from a lot of blogs how much people loved may.

We are going to Tokyo for 4-5 days outside of Disney. Some of things we want to see are temples, shibuya (mainly for the huge Disney store), and some cat cafes. We also REALLY want to go to the ghibli museum. We also are going to try to go to a baseball game at the Tokyo dome.

Thanks, yes I’ve used ita once before and does seem to be a good tool. It was only $700 for my trip to shanghai/korea last April, so sort of a shock how high these Japan prices are.

We’re big tigers fans too (from Flint, now in IL). Was just checking on they’re 19 draft position tonight.

How far in advance did you book? I'm so anxious about that with an international trip! For domestic flights, I seem to find the best deals about 6-8 weeks in advance but I can't see booking quite that last minute to go overseas!

I hope the Tigers make some good off-season moves, because they've been hard to watch this year. We're going to a game next weekend for the 50th anniversary celebration for the '68 World Series team, and we're pretty much expecting the pre-game ceremony to be the highlight.

How far in advance did you book? I'm so anxious about that with an international trip! For domestic flights, I seem to find the best deals about 6-8 weeks in advance but I can't see booking quite that last minute to go overseas!

I hope the Tigers make some good off-season moves, because they've been hard to watch this year. We're going to a game next weekend for the 50th anniversary celebration for the '68 World Series team, and we're pretty much expecting the pre-game ceremony to be the highlight.

I agree, on being to nervous to wait to last min for flights... even the WDW one 2 weeks ago we couldn’t wait past May with rising fuel costs. Typically book by Memorial Day for an aug/sept WDW trip... usually sales.

The Shanghai disney in April, I booked about 5-6 weeks out, but only because I truly wasn’t planning on going at all, and had a fam crises in Korea. Think it was a Priceline deal, China eastern. The taxes accounted for most of the $700, it was odd. I got several large meals, inc beer/wine, snacks, movies. And would have been cheaper without Seoul as a 3rd destination.

Have fun at the game! That’s exciting. Every time I watch a comerica game I see those fireworks lighting up the familiar bldgs behind the outfield, and wish we could be back. We went to Lakeland game and a TB game when we lived in Tampa 15/16’ but haven’t made it to a tigers game in Chicago yet. Does take a true fan to watch them this yr. was sorta hoping they got someone for the expiring contracts Liriano and iggy at waiver deadline. They’re in the 6th pick if the season ended today but can move to 3rd. Wife’s a sparty... I’m still stinging from UM game!

Like the pp said, journey is a ride that you can’t find in the states so that’s why I really want to ride it.

We haven’t gotten dates exact yet because plane tickets back are so scarce. We are hoping to go may 12 and come back two weeks later but I’m thinking we may have to go later in May. It was mainly crowds but also weather. We will be coming from the Midwest and I don’t want to leave snow only to be somewhere else that is cold. I was initially wanting March but I just want nicer weather. I also read from a lot of blogs how much people loved may.

We are going to Tokyo for 4-5 days outside of Disney. Some of things we want to see are temples, shibuya (mainly for the huge Disney store), and some cat cafes. We also REALLY want to go to the ghibli museum. We also are going to try to go to a baseball game at the Tokyo dome.

Sounds like a complete trip! I’m visiting my mother in Seoul as the main purpose, and with only about week or so for vacation, doesn’t really allow for much time to explore Japan, a shame - for a lifetime trip. If I had an extra day or two, though, I wouldn’t put it past me to try to wrap in HK disney instead of time to tour. I briefly thought about waiting until 2020 but I’d rather avoid the crowds/costs surrounding Olympics. DW loves beauty and the beast though. I read that tdr explorer article that stated to avoid wknds and Monday’s to a lesser extent (but crowd calendar showed that Fri was busier than Mon often). Author like after May 6, golden week, and the official partner hotels - non Disney.

Are you buying tickets in advance (Klook?) or there? Wonder if there’s some so sort of summer pass that could be worth it for the discounts.

Sounds like a complete trip! I’m visiting my mother in Seoul as the main purpose, and with only about week or so for vacation, doesn’t really allow for much time to explore Japan, a shame - for a lifetime trip. If I had an extra day or two, though, I wouldn’t put it past me to try to wrap in HK disney instead of time to tour. I briefly thought about waiting until 2020 but I’d rather avoid the crowds/costs surrounding Olympics. DW loves beauty and the beast though. I read that tdr explorer article that stated to avoid wknds and Monday’s to a lesser extent (but crowd calendar showed that Fri was busier than Mon often). Author like after May 6, golden week, and the official partner hotels - non Disney.

Are you buying tickets in advance (Klook?) or there? Wonder if there’s some so sort of summer pass that could be worth it for the discounts.
Dh wants to go for 3 weeks but I told him it’ll have to be 2 or 2 1/2. I can’t be gone for 3 weeks. He mainly feels that way because we are learning Japanese and doing a lot of lessons to learn how to read/speak Japanese. We will be doing 4 days at tdr, 4-5 in Tokyo, and 4-5 in the Kyoto area. It should be a lot of fun!

I’m planning on getting tickets when we get there. We are going to stay at the Hilton and I heard they have tickets there but you have to pay with cash. We will either do that or get them at the shibuya Disney store.

Dh wants to go for 3 weeks but I told him it’ll have to be 2 or 2 1/2. I can’t be gone for 3 weeks. He mainly feels that way because we are learning Japanese and doing a lot of lessons to learn how to read/speak Japanese. We will be doing 4 days at tdr, 4-5 in Tokyo, and 4-5 in the Kyoto area. It should be a lot of fun!

I’m planning on getting tickets when we get there. We are going to stay at the Hilton and I heard they have tickets there but you have to pay with cash. We will either do that or get them at the shibuya Disney store.

Good luck with your lessons! that's very ambitious. I should get off my butt and start trying to learn some Korean - I lost it after the 1st grade (adopted). I'll check out the Hilton, I doubt we'll want to try to book 2 rooms at something like $450/night on property. I think there is a promo on something like 100k Hilton pts on a new credit card bonus. That's weird on having to pay cash for tickets on site. I'm guessing that you must be avoiding to pay online in advance to try to get PH on day1-2 by buying at hotel.

Good luck with your lessons! that's very ambitious. I should get off my butt and start trying to learn some Korean - I lost it after the 1st grade (adopted). I'll check out the Hilton, I doubt we'll want to try to book 2 rooms at something like $450/night on property. I think there is a promo on something like 100k Hilton pts on a new credit card bonus. That's weird on having to pay cash for tickets on site. I'm guessing that you must be avoiding to pay online in advance to try to get PH on day1-2 by buying at hotel.
We have all of the katakana and hiragana characters learned. We are working on sentence structure and kanji since there are 1,000-2,000 of those. It’s a struggle but it’s also kind of fun to point things out in the house that we know. I’m adopted too! We actually are looking into getting a Hilton card but we won’t decide for a little bit about that. I’m not sure I understand your last sentence.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!