When Pre-Check is closed at MCO (minor rant) ...

NotUrsula

DIS Veteran
I recently left MCO on a late flight, and went through something of a ridiculous circus with TSA because Pre-Check was closed for the night. Thought I'd post the experience so that others can learn from it.

If you are leaving MCO after 9 pm, pack your carryon as though you don't have PreCheck. Trust me, it's worth the effort.

So, we arrive at MCO at 9:10 pm for a SWA flight that departs at 11 pm. Plenty of time. We head straight for the PreCheck line, which from the garage means walking past the entire main security line structure. We enter through the usual rope line, get all the way to the TSO sitting in the chair at the PreCheck line, only to have him look up and say, Oh, this line isn't open any more, you have to go back to the regular line.

So, we walk back the way we came and enter the regular line. (Of course, we haven't packed for the regular line.) The TSO checking IDs sees the PreCheck notice and tells us to keep both our IDs and BPs out and to tell the other agents that we have PreCheck so that they won't make us take off shoes and take out electronics. She also writes PRECHECK in big red letters on our BP's.

We get into line and put our carryons down, then turn for the scanners. "HOLD IT," says a TSO, "you need to take your shoes off." We offer up our BP's. "Let me see your ID". We hand over IDs and wait while they are checked again. "OK, keep your shoes on, but you still have to remove electronics." Back to the line (which now has more people in it who are getting annoyed) to take out the electronics, even though with PreCheck we are not supposed to need to do that.

Back to the scanner line. A different TSO barks, "You have to take your shoes off." I reply that we were just told not to because we have PreCheck. "I need to see your boarding pass and ID". Out they come again, for the 3rd time in a walk less than 15 feet long. "OK, but next time use the PreCheck line like you're supposed to!" We point out (politely) that it's closed for the night.

Finally through the scanners, we notice that our carryons have been set aside next to the xray, and while we wait at the end of the belt, at least 10 people pick up their things and move past us while two TSO's standing next to our bags stare at their fingernails. Finally one of them looks up and says, "Are these yours?" Yes, we reply. She then hands the bags over with no explanation as to why they were pulled.

It took us 30 minutes to get through the line from the ID check position until we got our carryons handed back. I can only conclude that it was a passive-aggressive punishment for asking for the PreCheck procedure in the "wrong" line. Maybe I was just tired after a long day, but just in case that wasn't the issue, best to be prepared if you leave that airport after 9 pm.

PS: I was actually prepared to go through in the standard manner, but the ID agent made a point of telling us that we should follow the Pre-Check rules. Because of the confusion about that, we kept having to go back and forth from the bag conveyor to the metal detector area, which not only annoyed us, but also the other passengers in line. The issue with the bag was that all of the electronics were in separate bags in protective sleeves, and the 3-1-1 baggies were not right on top. Also, we were wearing lace-up shoes, which we never would have been if we were expecting Pre-Check to be closed.

I also thought that it would have been the simplest thing in the world to have a colored card to hand out so that all of the TSOs can easily see that you have Pre-Check.

To be clear, the 30-minute time span was from the point that we passed the ID check and were able to approach the conveyor belts, not from the back of the line.

Last edited:
Good reminder!

Fwiw we Always pack our carryon as we would if we didn't have pre-check just in case so we have no issues either way. Some of the smaller airports I have flown in/out of don't even offer pre-check so its just easier to comply with the "regular" rules than to try and be accommodated.

Your supposed to have your liquids in a 3-1-1 bag anyway so its just a matter of pulling them and or a laptop out and putting them in the bin.

I would say rule of thumb is to pack like you won't be able to go into the Precheck line just to be on the safe side because it may not always be open and not all airports have it.

I can say that MCO TSA...they are asinine for no reason at all. I don't know for sure but it could be possible that the TSA guy who reminded you to use the PreCheck line may have not know the time. Though after having 2 interactions already with TSA on the PreCheck aspect I would be slightly irritated too to have that comment.

Conflicting instructions annoy me as well though.

Clearly frustrating (as are most TSA experiences at MCO!). I just boarded a plane in manchester (MHT) and they had these laminated 8x11 pieces of paper that they handed to the precheck people so that they wouldn’t get those questions - they just showed it at all of the checkpoints! I thought that was clever!

Its not just MCO. When I was flying for business, I had problems with TSA at other airports. At Philadelphia, the screener took much longer to scan our bags because he was having a vicious argument with his supervisor while working the X-ray machine! At Wichita Falls, the agent at the conveyor belt folded my TSA approved laptop bag back up, which set off all the alarms and required additional screening. I did get a profuse apology from the supervisor after explaining to him that the agent folded the back back up. At Dayton, the boarding pass checker would not accept the boarding passes that I had printed off online. Fortunately, I had to check a bag so I had the other boarding passes that Delta had given me. I could go on and on. I used to wonder what the problem with TSA would be on each flight.

Between the airlines and TSA, i've given up on flying. Its been four years since I took my last flight, and i'll die happy if I never get on an airplane again.

Your supposed to have your liquids in a 3-1-1 bag anyway so its just a matter of pulling them and or a laptop out and putting them in the bin.

Yep.

I don’t pack my carryon differently for pre vs before. I don’t even know what that would mean, unless the OP didn’t use a baggie for liquids.

And it’s weird the line was open to get in. When I’ve seen closed lines they actually put the stanchion thing across. Weird.

Mco is maddening. No getting around that.

But 30 minutes for non pre is amazing. You’re lucky.

Yep.

I don’t pack my carryon differently for pre vs before. I don’t even know what that would mean, unless the OP didn’t use a baggie for liquids.

And it’s weird the line was open to get in. When I’ve seen closed lines they actually put the stanchion thing across. Weird.

Mco is maddening. No getting around that.

But 30 minutes for non pre is amazing. You’re lucky.
Can’t speak for the OP but

For our family - the packing differently would be related to electronics, snacks and toiletries. If I was pre-check, I would keep the liquids in my toiletry bag with the other toiletries and my electronics might not all be easily accessible and ready to remove. For us - that meant we put all of the iPad’s in one backpack instead of split up.

Our home airport scans/swabs all food items now - this is also another area that would mean I would have to make sure the cooler bag had everything and it was ready to remove.

Ok, we have PreCheck and I'm totally confused by this statement
If you are leaving MCO after 9 pm, pack your carryon as though you don't have PreCheck. Trust me, it's worth the effort.
What does it mean?
I never knew you could pack your carry on different having PreCheck. What am I missing? It's not like PreCheck gets to carry on different items or anything

I guess we've just made the closing cut off at MCO. We always fly out late, last Southwest flight to Atlanta. But PreCheck line has never been closed, thankfully.

What does it mean?
I never knew you could pack your carry on different having PreCheck. What am I missing? It's not like PreCheck gets to carry on different items or anything

I guess we've just made the closing cut off at MCO. We always fly out late, last Southwest flight to Atlanta. But PreCheck line has never been closed, thankfully.[/Q>>

I Agree - I think your still subject to all the TSA rules including the 311 rules and electronic rules you just didn't have to remove them from your bag or take your shoes/light jacket off.

We still pack the same as we did prior to getting pre check :)

What does it mean?

I guess we've just made the closing cut off at MCO. We always fly out late, last Southwest flight to Atlanta. But PreCheck line has never been closed, thankfully.

Had I not gone through similar experiences with TSA, I can see packing ones carry-on differently. For example, even if you put your liquids in the quart sized bag, I always make sure that bag is in an outside pocket of my backpack, not in my carry-on. Also, with electronics, I don't typically use my laptop on the plane, so I could put that in my carry-one instead of in my backpack. I think those are the sorts of things the OP was thinking of when she made the statement.

"OK, but next time use the PreCheck line like you're supposed to!" We point out (politely) that it's closed for the night.

Oh TSA! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

We're flying into MIA on American in a couple of weeks for a Disney cruise and I'm dreading probably not getting PRE check. We almost exclusively fly in and out of MCO and almost always get complimentary PRE check, probably because we always go either Jetblue or SW.

Oh TSA! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

We're flying into MIA on American in a couple of weeks for a Disney cruise and I'm dreading probably not getting PRE check. We almost exclusively fly in and out of MCO and almost always get complimentary PRE check, probably because we always go either Jetblue or SW.

Believe me, it's much more annoying when you have paid for it. It's not a huge expense, but when I pay for a service I think it's only fair that I should be able to expect to actually use it.

FWIW, I find Denver TSA to be much worse than MCO, and that's saying something.

oh I would be very annoyed if I paid for it and it didn't exist. haha

FWIW, I find Denver TSA to be much worse than MCO, and that's saying something.

I never once have had issues with Denver TSA. MCO on the other hand...absolute nightmare. Horribly inconsistent, horribly rude agents, and a complete cluster or disorganization.

We're considering flying into Tampa and driving in for our next trip solely to avoid MCO. Both my wife and I have traveled extensively at work, and somehow we ALWAYS (read 100% of the time) have issues with MCO. We're both certified pre-check as well. Only other airport where I had half as much grief/aggravation was a very small airport in Mexico where they kept pulling me away for additional screening repeatedly. I must look suspicious or like an easy guy to scam!

When you get precheck, you are told that it may not be available at all times, at all airports. Our regional airport doesn't have a precheck line, and really doesn't need it. But, when they see the precheck on my boarding pass, they circle it and tell me that my shoes and jacket can stay on, but electronics have to come out...no idea why. I don't travel with any, so it's a non-issue. But, I always pack as though I didn't have precheck...just easier, just in case. My 3-1-1 baggie is always full and right at the top of my bag.
I haven't found MCO to be all that bad. If you know what you're doing, then it's no big deal. I've had worse issues at other airports. There was one, LAX if I remember correctly. We had precheck. The airline we were flying had their own security area, so no long lines at all. But, we were prepared for precheck. And we always just put our bp's in our bags as soon as they aren't needed. Well...we go to the line that the TSO sent us to. Put our stuff up on the belt. The agent working the body scanner yells at us to take off our shoes and jackets. I told him we all had precheck. His answer? "Well, you need to prove that to me. Where's your boarding pass? I can't just take your word for it!!!'. So, over to our bags just as they started moving into the bag scanner....that agent yells at us to leave the bags alone. Told him I need our bp's to prove we're precheck!!! Geez Louise. All because the original TSO guy sent us to the line with everyone else because they don't have a real precheck line!!! He might have mentioned that we needed to keep our bp's out!!!

Well...we go to the line that the TSO sent us to. Put our stuff up on the belt. The agent working the body scanner yells at us to take off our shoes and jackets. I told him we all had precheck. His answer? "Well, you need to prove that to me. Where's your boarding pass? I can't just take your word for it!!!'.
FWIW they shouldn't be rude but I can understand where they are coming from. If not in the precheck line they have no way of verifying you qualified for precheck procedures even if you are directed to a non-precheck line. Your boarding pass is the only thing that designates that you are precheck.

I haven't been through Pre Check at MCO but at least with the regular line it really has nothing to do with not knowing what you're doing and more to do with their TSA agents IME.

When we were leaving Orlando back in September there weren't a lot of people in line really but it was taking forever...that's because they made people move their feet or their arms or both centimeters. I've never experience such issues anywhere like I did at MCO. I had to wait and wait and wait by my bag (as you are not supposed to leave your bag until it goes through) because the line at the body scanner was getting so backed up.

This happened to us in March- during SPRING BREAK! What a mess! We were told precheck closes at 8pm every day no matter the crowds! We have changed our upcoming flights to earlier in the day.

Has anyone been at MCO security on Friday night around 8:30 PM? I just bought TSA precheck for our next trip because of MCO and just found out the precheck lines close at 8:00. Ugh!

We are taking the ME and our flights depart at 9:55 PM, so most likely the TSA precheck lane will be closed by the time we get there. I'm debating of even bumping up our flights or trying to get on an earlier ME.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter