"When I went it was all lights, and music, and Mickey doin' his magic." — Aug. '18 Disneyversary TR — Completed (Finally!!) August 20, 2021

Jeff is a fellow Canadian, and I believe that he even has some family in my own province of Nova Scotia, so it almost seems silly that we both had to go all the way to Florida to meet each other! Jeff, thanks so much for taking a few minutes out of your vacation to meet me and N, and I'm honoured to have been your first Dismeet!
Yay! It’s fun remembering this! It was great meeting both of you, and lucky that you had stopped for some pin trading or we probably wouldn’t have met.
And yes, my sister in law lives near Lunnenberg, so I am sure I’ll be back in NS sometime.
(If you're unfamiliar with this character event, I'm not supposed to disclose the information about it, but you can just google "Character Palooza" and "Character Locator" to learn more.)
I’ve heard about this, but have no idea how to figure out when it’s happening.
You met some great characters though. Fun fact: Robin Hood is the first character I ever met, when I was 9 years old. That’s back when he used to wander around Main Street!
It looks like N got the sampler-type entree? I dunno. He ate it. I think it was fine. I don't quite remember since it was 10 months ago... :confused3
I’ve had that sampler before. It’s pretty good. My family has been to 50’s a few times but to be honest we got a little bored with it. The food is fine, but not must do every trip.

What good luck with the character palooza!! This is always a highlight for us if the timing works!

You did a lot for feeling tired out early on......:thumbsup2

. When I finally clued in, I turned around to find that Jeff (@Terra Nova guy on the boards) was also entering DHS! He had spotted me and my pink hair and was kind enough to introduce me to his family.
Cool! Great Dismeet, and I think the pink hair probably would make it easier to pick you out from behind in a crowd!
I was beginning to get a little tired, and to be honest, N and I were both starting to get a bit cranky. That wasn't helped when I met with the chef, and he told me that the request I'd put in two weeks in advance with the special diets folks to have gluten free fried chicken had never been received! This was frustrating because this particular allergy meal takes a long time and can't be guaranteed if you don't request it in advance. The chef said he would still do it for me, but it would take at least 45 minutes. I wasn't thrilled to have the extra wait, but I was glad at least I could still be accommodated. In the end, the chicken was...just okay. But I'm glad I tried it, and I appreciated the effort.
Hmmm... I'm really disappointed for you that the experience with the gluten free food wasn't better, especially after you put in the effort to do the legwork beforehand. But I'm glad you were able to at least check it out and give it a try!
First we met Kylo, and I surprised both him and N with my total willingness to join him and fight the Resistance. :confused3 What can I say? The First Order dudes get cool creepy-looking robes, and I know what happens to people who cross Kylo...
And nobody has a cooler light saber than Kylo…
Then we went to meet BB8, and I let him know that, of course, I was just placating Kylo, and that my allegiance still resided with the good folks of the Resistance.
Double agent? I like it!
Before too long, it was time for the main event, my favourite nighttime show at WDW...Fantasmic!
You know, I think this might be my favorite now that Wishes is gone. I just can't get fully on board with HEA, but the Fantasmic music is something that I just can't get out of my head when I hear it. Or when I think about it. Like right now...
So much better than that boat ride earworm song...

I turned around to find that Jeff (@Terra Nova guy on the boards) was also entering DHS!
How fun! I think it's secretly my dream to be recognized by a fellow Diser 😆

Like an actual legit gluten free dessert!
Yay! Hopefully it went a little ways in making up for the less than exciting chicken - of which they weren't prepared for anyway :headache:

(I may or may not have his opening dance memorized in case I'm even called on in an emergency. :blush:)
It's always good to be prepared! You just never know! :thumbsup2

So glad to see you back updating!

This is something I'd been hoping to catch for a long time, and I'm glad that it worked out! The characters we saw were so great, and some were quite uncommon, so it was awesome to get some fun photos and signatures for my book. Getting to meet Robin Hood and Br'er Fox was especially dreamy, and I couldn't have been more excited! Br'er Fox, especially, was a fantastic character meet. He had a whole lot of attitude...even exiting the scene like this:

Wow at the line-up! C wants to meet Robin Hood so bad! But so far, Meeko is the rarest we've had the pleasure of meeting during that time.

By the way, we were in your neck of the woods a couple of days ago. We'll sort of. We were in Canada - Victoria to be exact. We were only there a few hours but we loved what little we did get to see.

The untouched, un-colour-corrected, blemished truth! You're welcome.
Man I'm gonna outsource my pictures to you from here on out. Best I can manage it to resize them :earboy2:

I turned around to find that Jeff (@Terra Nova guy on the boards) was also entering DHS! He had spotted me and my pink hair and was kind enough to introduce me to his family.
How awesome you all ran into each other. I kept looking for the pink hair, but I'm beginning to think you were just a figment of Disney imagination.

We backtracked and arrived in the mystery location just in time to meet a few friends! (If you're unfamiliar with this character event, I'm not supposed to disclose the information about it, but you can just google "Character Palooza" and "Character Locator" to learn more.)
How awesome you got to see this. I've always wanted to, but we never seem to be in MGM in the afternoon.

I'd put in two weeks in advance with the special diets folks to have gluten free fried chicken had never been received!
Oh no, that is ridiculous!!!

But I'm glad I tried it, and I appreciated the effort.

ZcmMJkk.jpg
Sorry it was a bit disappointing but at least they could make it for you.

Man you must have really joined the resistance. I don't think I've ever seen Kylo look so ominous. Its more like he is the grim reaper in these pics.

Before too long, it was time for the main event, my favourite nighttime show at WDW...Fantasmic!
Oh mine too, but we haven't seen it in forever With MGM in such disarray we barely spend any time there but we are gonna try and do it in August because Casey doesn't even remember it.

3lZ90pX.jpg

(Disbelief that there's no page in the book for Br'er Fox)
I love it. Perfect shot.

hOnU2xn.jpg

(See N's expression here: his face is saying, "I do not know this crazy woman. She's not my wife. This isn't actually happening, right?")
You can't be the first person to say you would join... right?

ut. N wasn't impressed with me, but he was mostly just happy that I was trying my best to participate in his Star Wars fandom, so he let it slide.
Is he excitied for Galaxy's Edge?

Sounds like the chef made a valiant effort to accomodate but it fell flat a bit. Sorry it wasn't all you had hoped for. :hug: BUT, also glad it perked you two up for some more fun! I have't seen Fantasmic in over 10 years. I wonder if the kids and I should try to catch it. How awesome you got to see so many characters all in one spot! And some rarer ones at that!! And best of all you got to meet one our own characters from right here on the Boards! LOL!! Have to keep comments brief as I have literally 25 more threads to go... But, loved your chapters!

Your Discovery Cove adventures are always so fun to hear about. Especially that journey there, I would've been just as sassy as you that early in the morning lol

Sassy is my M.O.! Especially in the morning. But Discovery Cove was lovely, as always. :)

How awesome it was that Chef Renee got you and N's breakfast all at the same time so you could eat together. We stan a dietary restriction tolerant queen.

Amen! What a queen. <3

I love your pictures in the aviary especially with the cuddly bird. I wouldn't leave if a bird just plopped themselves on my shoulder. Either that or I would've taken them home.

It was pretty hard to say goodbye, for sure! But the fishies were calling. It was such a sweet way to spend some time in the morning.

That is... quite the comment to make. I would've let out the most awkward forced giggle of my life if it was me. You handled it a lot better but it really makes you wonder. But what a phrase for one's bougier moments.

Right!? How does one even respond to that!? But I'm glad to know that at least we were using it correctly as we mocked our own bougie-ness.

Lol a pretty funny start to your day!!

Wow what a GORGEOUS sunrise behind the palm trees!

So bizarre that so many people thought you worked there! And an even stranger comment from the worker!

But sounds like a really fun day at DC!!

It really was the most beautiful morning with that sunrise! There were a few strange moments for sure. :laughing: But otherwise a wonderful Discovery Cove day!

Your visits to Discovery Cove make me want to add it to my trip plans! It looks like such a relaxing wonderful way to spend a day!

It really was! We've had such wonderful times there. I don't know that it's a splurge we'd make every trip or anything...but we are planning to go back in August! Especially if you have any interest in going to any of their other parks, like Sea World, or Busch (which we're doing in August) then it makes sense. Feels like paradise!

Oh dear, the mother with the "personal space" comment made me wonder how many people have heard me say that to Landon over the years. :sad2::laughing: We refer to it as a person's "personal bubble" and to remember to respect people's bubbles. :rotfl:

:rotfl: I love this! The lady behind me in line at the mall last night could have used this advice. She followed me right up to the counter! I thought about making a "personal bubble" comment. :laughing:

Your DC day sounded amazing and just reinforced my desire to visit there one day!

It really was lovely! I hope someday it can be worked into your plans. Such a beautiful relaxing place to spend a day feeling pampered...

I loved your hair, too! It looked really nice next to the birds in the aviary. :goodvibes

Thanks! I really do miss it. It was high maintenance, but an awful lot of fun.

Such a good husband and true!

He's one of the good ones. :) I can always count on him to have my back and put things in perspective.

I also, never heard this before. And is probalby a saying that should go away. It sounds really bad!

I agree! There are lots of things that we used to say or do that we don't anymore because they haven't aged well. :laughing:

DC looks lovely and it looks like a great place to explore and relax!
Funny how you were mistaken as an employee there many times, who knew a wet suit made you popular:rotfl:

It really was great for relaxation and exploring! Apparently I should wear a wetsuit more often! (Or not, if I want to be left alone, I suppose. :laughing:)

I have hear the saying a few times in my life except I am a Northerner as well so we don’t hear it up here much! It does sound negative though so I see how you could be offended by it!

Yeah, it definitely caught me off-guard! How interesting that some people on this thread have heard of this and some haven't.

Discovery Cove is still on my list. I really enjoyed your review, looks like a great day! I think if I tell Zack there are unlimited slushies he'll be sold :rotfl: That's great that Chef Renee was so awesome for you :)

It definitely was a great day! Glad the review was worth reading. The unlimited slushies is a pretty exciting perk!

I was thinking the same thing - OMG your hair looks amazing!

Thanks! I really do miss it sometimes!

You're speaking my language. Two of my most favorite things, all in one meal :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Obviously we eat very healthy balanced meals on vacation. :laughing: Last summer kind of became the summer of Diet Dr. Pepper for us. I feel like any time I drink it now I think of travelling last summer!

:lmao:I'm dying here. Is is THAT hard to find?! LOLOLOL!

Right!? I thought of you instantly. Who would have thought it's so hard to locate Discover Cove!?

I love the bathrooms there! So clean and well stocked!

Agreed.

Which is really just a ploy to get you to buy their ridiculously high-priced photos. They give a line about the cameras agitating the animals which is a crock. Marine life gets photographed all the time without incident or harassment. :rolleyes2

Absolutely! I don't think they took photos of the ray feeding, but we definitely didn't buy any. But the previous visit we absolutely got suckered in to the dolphin photos.

Yeah, when I was there, the breakfast line was non-existent. Lunch was another story.

Normally we're there early and eat before the park opens, and that seems to help with the breakfast line. By the time we got there after ray feeding, it was a nightmare!

The Aviary was one of my favorite parts!

Me too! 🐦 😍

I'm just curious how you took that photo....

Haha I wondered if anyone would ask that! I took many photos of my own of one hand at a time, but when Nathan returned I enlisted his help. :)

As pkondz said, very common saying but I can see how it'd be jarring if you'd not heard it before or know the context of its genesis.

I had no idea! The more you know...

I really need to check out Discovery Cove one day! You had me at Lazy River!

Highly recommend! Especially the lazy river, which I really think is one of the best. :lovestruc

Sounds like such a fun Discovery Cove day! That is definitely a place I would love to visit at some point. I have to say, though, I am from the deep South, and I have never heard anyone say that. If I had, I probably would have had a very similar reaction to you! Even if it is common where you're from, I feel like that's not something an employee should say to a customer, given how easily it could be misunderstood. :confused3

I hope you can go someday! It really is pretty lovely!

Right!? I had no idea that was a saying, but it really caught me off-guard. One of those times when it pays to watch what you say in a customer service position because you never know how people will interpret things—I've made this kind of mistake before, myself, and then kicked myself afterwards.

🤩 Vanity plate goals!!! Too bad I just renewed, darn it!

Shucky darn! Maybe someday. :)

I see you, you vocabulary maven!

:blush::lovestruc

I feel seen. Words are delightful.

Okay I am born and bred southern - have lived in various parts of Georgia my whole life and have never heard that expression either so I would have been :confused3 as well!

I'm glad it's not just me!

Hello! Long time no see/talk!

Hello! Nice to see you again!

I was catching up on your current TR and I also went back and re-read your wedding TR because next summer I am getting married in WDW :bride: We are doing the Escape package in the Canada Terrace (not to be copycats lol) so I wanted to re-read your TR to get myself even more excited! haha

Wow! Very exciting! I'm sure it will be absolutely magical. If it's anything like our wedding was, it will be super well-organized and beautiful! Congrats to you and your love! :lovestruc

Your trip to Discovery Cove looks so fun! I have never been but may have to check it out sometime.

It's totally worth the splurge to try it at least once. I hope you can check it out someday.

I definitely wouldn't have known what that turn of phrase meant either and would have just taken it as someone being super boujee :rotfl2: I definitely want to start using that though hahaha

I'm glad it's not just me! It's quite a statement!

Don't fret over us Meghan...we understand life gets in the way sometimes. We'll be here when you can. :grouphug:
We get it. Well... maybe we don't exactly get it... since I've never done a master's degree or internship... but we get that you're busy.
Do great at that and then tell us all about it! :)

Thanks, Doc and Pkondz! I'm missing spending more time on the DIS, but I'm making my way through. It'll be worth it...or at least that's what I keep telling myself!

Thank you... I needed another dad joke.

I always aim to please! I do appreciate a good dad joke. I think in a past life I may have actually been a DIS Dad. :confused3

Say what? I know I'm out of the loop about Disney news, but I had no idea this was happening! I knew they were re-doing the graveyard in front of Spaceship Earth, but I didn't realize this was going away too... or is it already gone???

Fountain of Nations isn't gone yet, but seems like it will be eventually as a result of all the EPCOT updates. Makes me pretty sad because of its history.

I feel the sudden urge to cram for my Disney trip. I just feel inadequately prepared.

Yes, if I remember correctly, you're there right now!! I hope your whole crew is having a good time!

This is awesome. So much better than LeCellier. I know you kept saying it was "fine," but a signature dining experience at Disney World should be better than "fine" and you are certainly right to expect that. Yet you go to Discovery Cove and get above and beyond.

Totally. I agree. Pretty surprising to get that kind of experience at Discovery Cove of all places, which I certainly wouldn't think of as a dining hot spot.

Thanks for taking a break so I wouldn't be any farther behind. I really appreciate that! It's been nice catching up with you and what you've been up to since your Disneymoon! The Anniversary pictures were a great idea and they really did turn out very well!

You must be thrilled with me then! I can't seem to keep up with my own thread, let alone everyone else's! Eventually I'll make it back here more regularly...maybe... :laughing: ...but I'm glad it's been helpful in the interest of letting people get caught up!

I can only imagine!!! I hope it's going well :goodvibes Don't worry... we'll be here when you come back to this! :hug: Good luck with your internship!

Thanks, Tracy! It's been...quite a ride. :laughing: There have been lots of highlights, but it's also pretty stressful. I'll be glad in a week when I'm done and can start to process all the stuff I've been trying to learn rapid-fire over the last three months!

DAS?
I know what it is... just don't remember what it stands for.

The DAS acronym = Disability Access Service.

I keep meaning to write a post in one of my threads about what DAS is and what it's like touring at Disney with an "invisible" illness, and when and why I use it. But then I never get around to it. Maybe in my next TR I'll do it! And I guess I've touched on it a bit here and there. But basically, as you probably already know, you go and get a return time with it, and then you do your waiting elsewhere and come back at the correct time and go through the FP line. Since my symptoms can be pretty heat-sensitive, it's especially helpful on summer trips!

Filled with tons of "ehs" and comments about cold weather.

Like all Canadian conversations, of course.

Merely gorgeous. Check.

Aww shucks! :blush:

Ooooohhh… a double agent. Sneaky.

Sneaky is my middle name. ...it's not really. It's Emily. But you get the idea.

vv5pg1Z.gif

I can totally see that happening.

Oh my goodness that would be the dream. My absolute dream job is being part of the Fantasmic show! Sorcerer Mickey is my main squeeze.

Yay! It’s fun remembering this! It was great meeting both of you, and lucky that you had stopped for some pin trading or we probably wouldn’t have met.
And yes, my sister in law lives near Lunnenberg, so I am sure I’ll be back in NS sometime.

It was so nice to meet you! It feels like ages ago now...because it was. :laughing: Definitely let me know if you're ever in the area! Lunenburg is so pretty, especially in the summer...hmm...maybe once my internship is over I'll take a drive out that way. We tend to go at least once a year, walk down by the water, get some lunch, etc.

I’ve heard about this, but have no idea how to figure out when it’s happening.

There's a subscription website, Character Locator, that gives the details of when this takes place, as well as lots of other Disney planning info. Most of it other than this particular event is stuff that most Disney aficionados already can figure out on their own or find on MDE, but I like how it's all organized in one place and it's not expensive, so we subscribe.

You met some great characters though. Fun fact: Robin Hood is the first character I ever met, when I was 9 years old. That’s back when he used to wander around Main Street!

We really did! No way! I wish wandering characters were still possible at WDW. What a cool memory!

I’ve had that sampler before. It’s pretty good. My family has been to 50’s a few times but to be honest we got a little bored with it. The food is fine, but not must do every trip.

I can totally see this. I think we'd feel the same way if we went back. Reasonably good, but not a must do.

What good luck with the character palooza!! This is always a highlight for us if the timing works!

Yeah for sure! I can't remember for sure if this was our first time (I'm 99% sure it was, but it all kinda blends together...) but this was definitely the best set of the couple of times we've done it. Hoping for another good experience this summer!

What a great DISmeet!

Great characterpalooza pics!

I'm sorry you both were getting crnaky but glad you still enjoyed your time at dinner!

Glad you got to tide SDD and see Fantasmic! Sounds like it was a good night :)

It was so neat to have an impromptu DISmeet! We had hoped to meet, and then I never got anything arranged with Jeff, so I'm so glad he picked me out.

Characterpalooza didn't disappoint :) It ended up being a pretty lovely night.

Cool! Great Dismeet, and I think the pink hair probably would make it easier to pick you out from behind in a crowd!

I think the pink hair really did help in that regard! Now I just blend in wherever I am as a regular old normal-haired person.

And nobody has a cooler light saber than Kylo…

Agreed. Nathan think it looks dumb and it would be easy to, like, slice off your fingers or something. I think it's kinda cool...

Double agent? I like it!

Totally! Gotta keep the bad guys guessing!

You know, I think this might be my favorite now that Wishes is gone. I just can't get fully on board with HEA, but the Fantasmic music is something that I just can't get out of my head when I hear it. Or when I think about it. Like right now...
So much better than that boat ride earworm song...

Agreed. Sometimes I just put the soundtrack on when I'm working around the house, or out for a walk, etc. I like HEA okay, but it's just not the same for me. There's just something about Fantasmic! though.

How fun! I think it's secretly my dream to be recognized by a fellow Diser 😆

It's a pretty cool experience! I'll keep my eye out for you in August and see if I can help you out with that dream :)

It's always good to be prepared! You just never know! :thumbsup2

Right!? You can never be too prepared. You never know when Sorcerer Mickey might be feeling under the weather, and then I could save the day!

Sounds like such a fun afternoon!! I've only ridden SDD the one time during the day, but I bet it was super fun at night! :)

It really is neat after dark! Highly recommend. All the bright lights at night in Toy Story Land make for a beautiful and fun ride.

So glad to see you back updating!

Thanks! Now I just need to KEEP updating. :)

Wow at the line-up! C wants to meet Robin Hood so bad! But so far, Meeko is the rarest we've had the pleasure of meeting during that time.

I hope you can meet Robin! It was a great meet. You boys (both grown-up and little boys) would love him I'm sure.

By the way, we were in your neck of the woods a couple of days ago. We'll sort of. We were in Canada - Victoria to be exact. We were only there a few hours but we loved what little we did get to see.

Oh neat! Well, a belated welcome to Canada, then! I hope you enjoyed your visit. I'm embarrassed to admit that I actually haven't ever been to Victoria, though I'd like to go someday. I know it's really beautiful. The furthest west I've ever been in Canada is the province of Alberta, which was about a 1.5 hour flight or a 14 hour drive away from where you were. Crazy enough, it's actually about half the distance for us to travel to Disney World compared to travelling to British Columbia! But I'd still love to go someday. If you're ever on the opposite side of Canada for any reason, make sure to let me know! I'd be happy to show you some of my favourite spots in Nova Scotia! 😊

Man I'm gonna outsource my pictures to you from here on out. Best I can manage it to resize them :earboy2:

Haha if I could keep up with my own, then I'd happily take yours on, too! But your pictures don't need any help—y'all are gorgeous just the way you are! I'm certainly not as skilled with a camera and editing as some Disfriends like @pkondz or @Steppesister but I like to toy with Photoshop as much as the next guy.

How awesome you all ran into each other. I kept looking for the pink hair, but I'm beginning to think you were just a figment of Disney imagination.

:figment::figment::figment:

How awesome you got to see this. I've always wanted to, but we never seem to be in MGM in the afternoon.

It was really neat! Hopefully it works with your plans someday.

Man you must have really joined the resistance. I don't think I've ever seen Kylo look so ominous. Its more like he is the grim reaper in these pics.

Kylo seemed to be feeling particularly sour that day!

Oh mine too, but we haven't seen it in forever With MGM in such disarray we barely spend any time there but we are gonna try and do it in August because Casey doesn't even remember it.

That's legit. We don't spend much time there these days either. But I do love Fantasmic, so we try to make that happen. I hope you get a chance to see it with Casey and that she loves it!

You can't be the first person to say you would join... right?

Surely not. That was my thought, too. Maybe he just wasn't on his game that day.

Is he excitied for Galaxy's Edge?

Nathan's so excited! But he's also practical, so he's thinking we may not really spend much time there in August at all because he hates wasting time in crazy lines. Especially in the heat. Hopefully we'll at least catch a glimpse, and then make more time for it on our next trip (probably in December.)

Sounds like the chef made a valiant effort to accomodate but it fell flat a bit. Sorry it wasn't all you had hoped for. :hug: BUT, also glad it perked you two up for some more fun! I have't seen Fantasmic in over 10 years. I wonder if the kids and I should try to catch it. How awesome you got to see so many characters all in one spot! And some rarer ones at that!! And best of all you got to meet one our own characters from right here on the Boards! LOL!! Have to keep comments brief as I have literally 25 more threads to go... But, loved your chapters!

Wow, over 10 years!? I can't imagine going that long without Fantasmic, but I'm definitely biased. Maybe you'll get a chance to give it a shot on your next family trip! Hopefully it'll live up to my hype.

Haha yes! Jeff was definitely the most exciting rare character meet of the day! Always nice to run in to a fellow Diser, especially a fellow Canadian at that!

I'm with you, Liesa. I have so much catching up to do, and never enough time to do it! Thanks for still following along even while you've been busy.

:rotfl: My Disney trips have become known as trips of two food groups: unhealthy and super unhealthy :laughing:

A girl after my own heart! Disney: you're doing it right.

Lunenburg is so pretty, especially in the summer...hmm...maybe once my internship is over I'll take a drive out that way. We tend to go at least once a year, walk down by the water, get some lunch, etc.
I knew I had the spelling of Lunenburg wrong...haha. Too lazy to google at the time!
I enjoy walking around there and checking out the restaurants. My SIL says the Grand Banker is a good place, but I've yet to eat there. I might be getting back that way next year in April. I just found out that DD will have a dance competition in Halifax.

Literally read through your entire report this afternoon and LOVED it!

I turned around to find that Jeff (@Terra Nova guy on the boards) was also entering DHS! He had spotted me and my pink hair and was kind enough to introduce me to his family. Jeff wrote about the meet on his trip report as well—if you're not following his reports, you should be!
You're right!!!! @Terra Nova guy does write awesome reports!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter