"When I went it was all lights, and music, and Mickey doin' his magic." — Aug. '18 Disneyversary TR — Completed (Finally!!) August 20, 2021

"What do you call that? Downward-facing one-legged dog!"
Aug. 17—Part 1

An update??? Really!? It must be a Christmas miracle!! :worship:

And on that note, a very Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays to all of my Dis-friends who are celebrating with their loved ones at this time of year. I'm thankful for many things at this time of year, but especially my nearly-15-month-old niece who made Christmas very exciting for all the boring adults in her life again.

Exhibit A:
Ai1R8Vc.jpg

tw3yWcL.jpg

Also, by the way: I have three quotes in my notes from this day and have absolutely no idea where they came from, so I'm just using them as titles anyway because they strike me funny. The quote for this particular update, I believe, had to do with a tiny human who was doing some kind of strange acrobatics on the ground with one leg in the air, but I really don't remember the context. :confused3

I left off last right before the day of our anniversary. Since we got married at Epcot exactly one year before, we wanted to spend our day at the same place where the magic happened.

pyZuAyt.jpg

eGScdY9.jpg

We had a pre-park-opening reservation this morning, and we were let into Epcot before rope drop. While we were waiting to be let through the security checkpoint, however, the security guard called me out in front of the other guests and asked whether I had my pirate's license. I was a bit confused and told him that I did not. He shook his head and told that that, unfortunately, only pirates are allowed to operate canons... I looked down to where he was pointing to my camera. Whoops! I did have a canon with me, indeed! *ba dum tssss*

Despite my lack of the proper license (pirate:) I took the opportunity walking through an empty Epcot to use my Canon to take some pictures on the way to the restaurant.

W2skzfP.jpg

cuEYxqX.jpg

7Ik6VPC.jpg

zpWbaxT.jpg

LhTP7xu.jpg

bWyA7AX.jpg

lzYXI8b.jpg

3qEGI7h.jpg

N5Geax6.jpg

VNGBDx2.jpg

7wWVUZ8.jpg

I had never eaten at Garden Grill before, and was hesitant to do so because of the rotation of the restaurant—I sometimes even get a little motion sick if I'm not looking in the same direction I'm walking, let alone actually riding a spinning restaurant! :faint:—but I'd heard excellent reviews about the food and character interactions at GG, and I thought it would be a fun way to celebrate our anniversary. It turns out that, while I definitely did notice the rotation of the restaurant, I managed to enjoy the meal with only mild motion-related troubles. It ended up being N who surprised us both by having a headache by the time we left.

eaf8f6K.jpg

The food at the GG was standard breakfast fare, but everything was prepared perfectly. The hash browns/tater-tots were especially addictive, and N said that the cinnamon bun was pretty sinful. The only thing neither of us were crazy about was the salsa, despite the emphatic recommendation by our server, and N usually likes salsa very much. Maybe my judgement was somewhat clouded by the rose-coloured glasses one tends to wear on their first wedding anniversary, but I thought that this was one of the better breakfasts we've had at WDW, and I'm a major breakfast person!

Insert: *in the style of HIMYM* "Major Breakfastperson." *salute*

yifBsFd.jpg

VZztwby.jpg

efqrWSr.jpg

We had a good server who was attentive, but not overbearing. Character interactions at GG were also excellent this morning across the board, but by far the best of them all was with Chip! He came around first, and he made a huge deal out of us. N isn't very chatty in the morning, so he mumbled his way through the interaction, but I was basking in the attention! When we told Chip about celebrating our wedding anniversary, and how we got married at Epcot, he wanted to see my rings, and then he asked N to take a sassy picture of us showing them off.

X2cBSdA.jpg

DDH94ho.jpg

eZGXS78.jpg

It amazes me how one simple interaction like this can make such a lasting impact, and even as an adult I so thoroughly appreciate these awesome cast members who hang out with these characters and help make special memories for guests of all ages. Chip has since become one of my new favourite characters! The rest of the characters couldn't quite compete with Chip, but they still gave us lots of energy and didn't rush with us, which was highly appreciated!

aLpxU2z.jpg

KbEl3Pi.jpg

8ukp28j.jpg

2eTTeQO.jpg

6Pjcjpf.jpg

Ng7kAJp.jpg

5Uk7m06.jpg

As fans of Living with the Land, N and I both enjoyed being able to peek over into the ride while we rotated around the restaurant.

to5H0v1.jpg

We finished breakfast before the park opened, and we were perfectly primed to start our day with an early morning glider ride...

I scrolled over to your last page thinking for sure someone else had just posted a reply and here you are.

200.gif
She is precious. They truly make the holidays all the more special.

I have three quotes in my notes from this day and have absolutely no idea where they came from, so I'm just using them as titles anyway because they strike me funny. The quote for this particular update, I believe, had to do with a tiny human who was doing some kind of strange acrobatics on the ground with one leg in the air, but I really don't remember the context. :confused3
I always laugh when I come across things like this and have no idea what they mean months later. But I'm willing to stick my leg in the air to find out :P

I looked down to where he was pointing to my camera. Whoops! I did have a canon with me, indeed! *ba dum tssss*
So bad, yet somehow good

Smart getting more mileage out of your bride and groom shirts :thumbsup2

Insert: *in the style of HIMYM* "Major Breakfastperson." *salute*
I have no idea what this means, but loving all your salute pictures and oddly getting very hungry.

This is beyond perfect. Glad to see Chip helped make your day!

I scrolled over to your last page thinking for sure someone else had just posted a reply and here you are.

200-gif.371642

:laughing: I even surprised myself a little getting back here!

She is precious. They truly make the holidays all the more special.

Absolutely! And thanks, we're pretty fond of her. :lovestruc

I always laugh when I come across things like this and have no idea what they mean months later. But I'm willing to stick my leg in the air to find out :P

:laughing:

Smart getting more mileage out of your bride and groom shirts :thumbsup2

We're nothing if not frugal! It was nice to get another day out of them.

This is beyond perfect. Glad to see Chip helped make your day!

Chip was awesome! I'm a big fan.

We had a pre-park-opening reservation this morning, and we were let into Epcot before rope drop. While we were waiting to be let through the security checkpoint, however, the security guard called me out in front of the other guests and asked whether I had my pirate's license. I was a bit confused and told him that I did not. He shook his head and told that that, unfortunately, only pirates are allowed to operate canons... I looked down to where he was pointing to my camera. Whoops! I did have a canon with me, indeed! *ba dum tssss*
OMG, hilarious!

We are excited about GG breakfast again in January. It was one of our favorites back in May even with G's crankiness. The characters were great with him and I hope to actually be able to enjoy my food this time.

Oh... And hurray for an update!

I really like this breakfast! Your character photos are awesome, it looks like a fun time.

Glad to hear the rotation wasn’t to hard on your motion sickness!

The cinnamon roll is really yummy, that was my favorite.

Chip and Dale are just the cutest!

Hallelujah!

I'm thankful for many things at this time of year, but especially my nearly-15-month-old niece who made Christmas very exciting for all the boring adults in her life again.

Awww... :) Little ones make the holidays so special. :)

Awww... Cute l'il onesie!

Also, by the way: I have three quotes in my notes from this day and have absolutely no idea where they came from, so I'm just using them as titles anyway because they strike me funny.

Good thing you wrote them down!

the security guard called me out in front of the other guests and asked whether I had my pirate's license.

Oh no! Now you'll not be allowed in the park!

I was a bit confused and told him that I did not. He shook his head and told that that, unfortunately, only pirates are allowed to operate canons... I looked down to where he was pointing to my camera. Whoops! I did have a canon with me, indeed! *ba dum tssss*

:lmao:

Ooohh… a two handed selfie.

I really like this shot of you. Just might be my favourite of you. :)

I had never eaten at Garden Grill before, and was hesitant to do so because of the rotation of the restaurant

Guests flung out of their seats! Food and dishes held against the walls by centripetal force!

I managed to enjoy the meal with only mild motion-related troubles.

Hmm... So having said that, would you go again?

It ended up being N who surprised us both by having a headache by the time we left.

And... would N?

The food at the GG was standard breakfast fare, but everything was prepared perfectly.

You can't ask for more than that.
Well... I suppose you can, but... I would be very happy with that.

The only thing neither of us were crazy about was the salsa, despite the emphatic recommendation by our server, and N usually likes salsa very much.

Huh. Odd. Do you remember what it was that you didn't like about it?

Drool...

I was basking in the attention!

:laughing: Glad you had so much fun with him!

he wanted to see my rings, and then he asked N to take a sassy picture of us showing them off.
DDH94ho.jpg

:laughing: Love it!

we were perfectly primed to start our day with an early morning glider ride...

I wonder what that could be?

:rolleyes:

Awww, such a little cutie patootie!

Okay, that's actually pretty funny!

WALL SELFIES!!! :lovestruc

It ended up being N who surprised us both by having a headache by the time we left.

Who'd a thunk it?!? I hope he felt better soon!!

It amazes me how one simple interaction like this can make such a lasting impact, and even as an adult I so thoroughly appreciate these awesome cast members who hang out with these characters and help make special memories for guests of all ages. Chip has since become one of my new favourite characters!

I'm glad you had such a nice experience there! Sounds like the whole package was really enjoyable for you. :)

OMG, hilarious!

He was very proud of himself for that joke! :) It was kinda funny, I have to say, in like a very wholesome Disney-dad-joke kind of way.

We are excited about GG breakfast again in January. It was one of our favorites back in May even with G's crankiness. The characters were great with him and I hope to actually be able to enjoy my food this time.

Oh... And hurray for an update!

I hope it goes more smoothly for you this time around! I remember reading about G's little cranky attitude during that meal, now that you say that. But I'm glad you still enjoyed it! It was a really fun meal for us.

I really like this breakfast! Your character photos are awesome, it looks like a fun time.

Glad to hear the rotation wasn’t to hard on your motion sickness!

The cinnamon roll is really yummy, that was my favorite.

Chip and Dale are just the cutest!

It's a great breakfast, absolutely! I would definitely go again. Yeah, normally I don't really miss gluten in my diet anymore now that I'm used to it, but with things like that cinnamon roll, I get a little jealous! (Fortunately it wasn't too painful to remember it now because I had just made a fabulous pan of gluten free cinnamon rolls for myself for Christmas! :laughing:) Chip and Dale are such funny little critters!

Awww... :) Little ones make the holidays so special. :)

Totally agree. I didn't have any siblings growing up, and my step-sister was already in high school when our parents got married. Nathan's siblings and their kids don't live too close by. So this is the first kid-focused Christmas I've had in a long time. It was pretty exciting.

Awww... Cute l'il onesie!

I thought so, too! Penguins are definitely her colour.

Oh no! Now you'll not be allowed in the park!

I was pretty worried for a minute! I was so grateful for his leniency.

Ooohh… a two handed selfie.

That would be because I don't have the coordination for a proper one-handed selfie.

I really like this shot of you. Just might be my favourite of you. :)

Thanks! I hadn't realized that Nath had been taking pictures with my camera at the same time, so it was truly candid. I kinda liked it, too.

Guests flung out of their seats! Food and dishes held against the walls by centripetal force!

:rotfl::rotfl: Yeah...probably seems a little silly since it turns so slowly that many people don't even notice that it's moving. Rotating restaurants and Meghan...they just don't mix. I've done the one at the top of the CN Tower once, and that went okay, but that was a long time ago, and it's very slow. We tried to do one once in Edmonton at the top of our hotel, and I ended up having to ask to leave before our orders had even been taken. Hence my trepidation.

Hmm... So having said that, would you go again?

I actually would! I'm shocked that I would, but I would. It was a great experience all around, with only mild discomfort. I had heard some people say it helped not to look sideways out into the ride, and to focus straight ahead on your table, so I did that and I think it made a big difference. The only times I got a little extra swimmy were when I let my gaze wander. I also made sure to sit on the side of the booth facing the direction of the rotation, because I don't do well facing backwards in a moving vehicle. (I can never turn around and look at the backseat in a car.) I do the same thing on the Peoplemover.

And... would N?

He said he'd definitely be up for trying it again. He rarely gets motion sick, and he thought it might have just been a bad combination that day. He hadn't slept well the night before, and he had been feeling more prone to migraine headaches for the few weeks leading up to our trip anyway.

You can't ask for more than that.
Well... I suppose you can, but... I would be very happy with that.

I was very pleased!

Huh. Odd. Do you remember what it was that you didn't like about it?

I may be making this up, but I seem to remember that the salsa was just kind of bland, and a little watered-down tasting. Nathan's parents do a lot of canning, so we're usually spoiled with good homemade salsa with their garden-grown veggies. But we're also not very picky. Tostitos suits us just fine. So it was strange that we weren't fans. I'll take or leave salsa, but Nathan puts it on anything at home.

:laughing: Glad you had so much fun with him!

He really started the morning off right!

Awww, such a little cutie patootie!

We like to think she's pretty cute. :lovestruc She's got the best smile, and she uses it often. I hope she keeps that up her whole life.

Okay, that's actually pretty funny!

He was very proud of himself for making that joke! I chuckled at it.

Who'd a thunk it?!? I hope he felt better soon!!

It was surprising! Nathan has never had a problem with motion sickness his whole lifeHe can read in the car, or ride pretty much anything, just like his dad, while his mom and sisters get sick on most things that move. But I've been noticing that he's gotten headaches a few times more recently on simulator rides, or trying to focus on something in the car, so I've been teasing him about getting soft in his old age. :laughing: Fortunately, he did feel quite a bit better as the morning went on, so there was no major harm done in the long term.

I'm glad you had such a nice experience there! Sounds like the whole package was really enjoyable for you. :)

It really was a lot of fun! A great way to start our day for our anniversary. :goodvibes

Totally agree. I didn't have any siblings growing up, and my step-sister was already in high school when our parents got married. Nathan's siblings and their kids don't live too close by. So this is the first kid-focused Christmas I've had in a long time. It was pretty exciting.

I didn't know what I'd been missing until we had kids. :)

I was pretty worried for a minute! I was so grateful for his leniency.

That would be because I don't have the coordination for a proper one-handed selfie.

But you're colour coordinated, so...

Thanks! I hadn't realized that Nath had been taking pictures with my camera at the same time, so it was truly candid. I kinda liked it, too.

:)

:rotfl::rotfl: Yeah...probably seems a little silly since it turns so slowly that many people don't even notice that it's moving. Rotating restaurants and Meghan...they just don't mix. I've done the one at the top of the CN Tower once, and that went okay, but that was a long time ago, and it's very slow. We tried to do one once in Edmonton at the top of our hotel, and I ended up having to ask to leave before our orders had even been taken. Hence my trepidation.

Sorry to hear that... but glad that you'd try again. Good sign. :)

I actually would! I'm shocked that I would, but I would. It was a great experience all around, with only mild discomfort. I had heard some people say it helped not to look sideways out into the ride, and to focus straight ahead on your table, so I did that and I think it made a big difference. The only times I got a little extra swimmy were when I let my gaze wander. I also made sure to sit on the side of the booth facing the direction of the rotation, because I don't do well facing backwards in a moving vehicle. (I can never turn around and look at the backseat in a car.) I do the same thing on the Peoplemover.

Interesting. You know your limitations.

The quote for this particular update, I believe, had to do with a tiny human who was doing some kind of strange acrobatics on the ground with one leg in the air, but I really don't remember the context. :confused3
Does it even matter the context?! - that quote is hilarious on its own :laughing:

LOVE this picture of you! :thumbsup2

As fans of Living with the Land, N and I both enjoyed being able to peek over into the ride while we rotated around the restaurant.
Yes! I love LWTL and really enjoy catching glimpses of it as you rotate around.

Despite not being properly pirate-licensed, it sure sounds like a lovely start to your anniversary! With Chip being one of the highlights :goodvibes

Does it even matter the context?! - that quote is hilarious on its own :laughing:

I agree! I thought it was pretty funny.

LOVE this picture of you! :thumbsup2

Thank you! :hug:

Yes! I love LWTL and really enjoy catching glimpses of it as you rotate around.

It's definitely one of the highlights of eating here. LWTL is an under-appreciated gem, I think!

Despite not being properly pirate-licensed, it sure sounds like a lovely start to your anniversary! With Chip being one of the highlights :goodvibes

Absolutely! It was a great start to the day.

He shook his head and told that that, unfortunately, only pirates are allowed to operate canons...
I love a good dad joke early in the morning

I had never eaten at Garden Grill before,
I haven’t eaten there either. It looks good especially the cinnamon rolls. I might have to put this near the top of my to try list.

This is definitely a big selling point for me. I don’t think the rest of my family would care that much about seeing the Land, but I sure do!

Hallelujah!

It was surprising! Nathan has never had a problem with motion sickness his whole lifeHe can read in the car, or ride pretty much anything, just like his dad, while his mom and sisters get sick on most things that move. But I've been noticing that he's gotten headaches a few times more recently on simulator rides, or trying to focus on something in the car, so I've been teasing him about getting soft in his old age. :laughing: Fortunately, he did feel quite a bit better as the morning went on, so there was no major harm done in the long term.

I was worried it might have ruined his whole day! UGH! There are a few rides I can't do anymore for various reasons. One that comes to mind is SM because of the rough track and my stupid neck. Getting old stinks.

I was worried it might have ruined his whole day! UGH! There are a few rides I can't do anymore for various reasons. One that comes to mind is SM because of the rough track and my stupid neck. Getting old stinks.

Nate loves SM, but he's finding it a lot rougher than even the first time he went a few years ago. I used to ride it multiple times as a kid, but I can't ride it anymore. :(

Nate loves SM, but he's finding it a lot rougher than even the first time he went a few years ago. I used to ride it multiple times as a kid, but I can't ride it anymore. :(

YOu are certainly the expert in all things inner ear, but I suspect that as we age our equilibrium changes due to changes in the inner ear. Not to mention aging bones and connective tissue that makes rough tracks or rides just... ouch. Getting old stinks.

Joining in!!

Your AK photos are PHENOMENAL!!! Seriously, they are just gorgeous. I can see why you had trouble picking which ones to post!!

We have firmly been in the "Crystal Palace for our character breakfast" camp for a long time, but the more I see and hear about Garden Grill, the more I am thinking we will have to change it up and try that meal instead the next time we make it back to WDW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter