When Does a DL Trip Become "Real" For You?

When i first went on opening day with Walt, i had no clue, just shared his excitement, he was like a little kid.

How awesome to have been there for that moment. It makes me happy to hear about your memories. Thank you for sharing them.

There are many wonderful moments at the dawn of a Disney trip, but my favorite is seeing my son's face when we spring it on him. I get really into planning each "reveal" and always do it differently. Last time, at the end of a scavenger hunt, a video revealed that we were getting on a plane and leaving for DL the next day. My son didn't really react. Then it hit him slowly. He said "Are we literally doing that?" When we said yes, he screamed with joy. It was awesome. I watch that video a lot. :) This year we'll be going during the holidays - a first for us. I've been collecting stocking stuffers for the reveal for months already. This time, my daughter is old enough to get it, and I can't wait.

I book everything at least 9 mos out. Sometimes 11 mos. I buy my ticket around 6 mos out. It’s real once I ride original Space Mountain. That is not usually our first ride. ;)

My reality come in three layers. 1st layer is when I've got the hotel room reservation, airfare and park tickets bought which I have already done for our December trip. The 2nd layer of excitement and reality is when I see the Matterhorn from the freeway. The 3rd and final stage is when I step in the parks and start my way under the tunnels and find Walt's apartment.

Oh Disboard friends...you are all so kind to share such special DL memories! Thank you, thank you! As I read each of your posts, I get more and more excited. While I don't want to wish away the summer, I cannot wait for the middle of August to get here!:love:

I'll be there around the same time! I'm a firm believer in the anticipation/planning being a huge part of the magic, so I have lots of magic moments:

--the initial "we should definitely go to Disneyland" conversation
--booking the hotel/flight (this one is a driving trip, but usually a flight is involved)
--making and re-making packing lists starting months out
--packing and re-packing my suitcase a week out
--making fun little "Trip Survival Kit" bags for friends/family (chapstick, granola bars, etc.)
--not being able to sleep the night before we leave
--fluttery stomach feelings when it's finally time to get in the car to head south (to the airport or all the way)
--driving over the Grapevine into the LA Basin/starting the descent into LAX
--walking outside LAX into the hot, sticky, exhaust-filled shuttle pickup area
--seeing the first "Disneyland Dr" sign/the Matterhorn peeking up over the trees

Once I'm in the vicinity, it's all real and all magic.

For me, it's when I get into the Anaheim Resort Area. It just doesn't feel like Disney until then. It's like in Orlando, going under one of the main gates, though if I'm using Magical Express I think it starts once I check into the service with my Magic Band.

When we're driving and start seeing actual signs of Disneyland. (signs directing us there, glimpses of the Matterhorn, etc.) It is so exciting!

I'll be there around the same time! I'm a firm believer in the anticipation/planning being a huge part of the magic, so I have lots of magic moments:

--the initial "we should definitely go to Disneyland" conversation
--booking the hotel/flight (this one is a driving trip, but usually a flight is involved)
--making and re-making packing lists starting months out
--packing and re-packing my suitcase a week out
--making fun little "Trip Survival Kit" bags for friends/family (chapstick, granola bars, etc.)
--not being able to sleep the night before we leave
--fluttery stomach feelings when it's finally time to get in the car to head south (to the airport or all the way)
--driving over the Grapevine into the LA Basin/starting the descent into LAX
--walking outside LAX into the hot, sticky, exhaust-filled shuttle pickup area
--seeing the first "Disneyland Dr" sign/the Matterhorn peeking up over the trees

Once I'm in the vicinity, it's all real and all magic.
Lol, so true about the LAX exhaust fumes! Nothing says I'm here, like dragging your luggage to the Super Shuttle line! :)

When we make our flight reservations. That is the first thing we do when planning a Disney trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter