When Does a DL Trip Become "Real" For You?

The music in the walk between harbor and the esplanade. That’s when the feeling starts. I’ve gone through there a couple of times when the music isn’t on for some reason and it is sorely missed.

So exciting reading everyone's responses.
I'll be visiting Disneyland for the first time this year and I'm beyond hyped. Been planning for about a year (when I came home from Disneyland Paris) but it was a pipe dream then, just price checking so I could make a budget, know best time to book etc.
I told myself that when I got a new job, we'd look at disneyland so when I was offered my current job I knew I would be able to go this year!

Didn't feel real until I physically booked the Halloween party tickets and then my flights and hotel.

I imagine it will hit me all over again when the parties start and I can read up on the schedule, then October, and finally seeing it all in front of me!

Promised myself and my partner (so he can keep me to it) that I won't be playing around trying to buy maxpass on entry, I'll wait until I'm in a queue or something so I can just drink in the park atmosphere walking up Main St. That's the magical park for me when visiting Paris ❤️

Did you know that there is a keychain? So that you can carry it with you always.

I looked at ShopDisney and didn't see it. Is this something you can only get in the Parks? I'd love to get two for BFF and me but we won't be in the Parks til next year. Well, she'll be at DL next year. I'm skipping it and going to WDW.

Once i begin making dining reservations. Then once i received the package in the mail that really made it feel real. Now we have to wait to get everything at the hotel. I send a a text or two to some of the people going with us about how much longer. It gets very exciting to see it become closer and closer

When I start frantically packing and trying to get DD packed and DH to actually start packing and at the same time trying to get everything done that needs to be done at work before I leave, and go into high stress mode because there are not enough hours in the day!

I live in Norcal and this is our home park. Most of the time it is once we have booked rooms and airfare etc. We do MOST of the trips we plan although there have been a few times we have had to cancel. Once we buy actual tickets though it is pretty much a done deal since there is no refunds. Sadly with DW we have planned quite a few trips and have had to cancel right up to the end. We had airfare bought and hotels booked etc. But usually once the tickets and such are bought that is the big one since those are non-refundable. It REALLY seems real though once we are on that plane and there is no going back.

The music in the walk between harbor and the esplanade. That’s when the feeling starts. I’ve gone through there a couple of times when the music isn’t on for some reason and it is sorely missed.

I totally second this. It's waking up early and arriving at the Bus loop and walking down the esplanade, hearing the music playing as you line up for security!!

When we get in the car for the long drive.....don't look forward to that, but know what is waiting on arrival

Honestly, about a week before we go. When I start going over my packing list, doing my laundry for stuff I'm going to pack, going to Duane Reade or CVS for travel size deodorant, toothpaste etc. But nothing beats the day before feeling. Printing out plane tickets, going over all the stuff you packed, figuring out what time you need to be awake, be at the airport by, even not being able to fall asleep from excitement.

Gah, this is a good question. I think it feels real when we see the Matterhorn poking up over the fence... but, like PP, I cry when I read the plaque over the entrance tunnels. So it feels 'real' before that... but it really hits me when I read that plaque. I cry so bad. I really wish they would make replicas that I could put up in my house :(:(

They used to! My sisters and I bought one for my mom about a dozen years ago. It's about 8x10 I think and it's hung in her house ever since! Wish I'd thought to get one for myself...

As for when a DL trip feels real for me, definitely when I see the tips of the mountains as we get close to our hotel. So exciting!

Reading a few of the responses have actually made me tear up! I feel the same about arriving on Harbor, either by my car or airport shuttle...
Having Disneyland in my life since I was 4 years old, my first trip was 7/4/1976, I still get emotional when I hear the tweet, or ding at the turnstyle. Then I have have actual tears running down my face when I walk under the "plaque", and stop to say Thanks to Walt, when I look up at his window above the firestation.

Lots of it has to do with family members, who have passed away, and the memories of being there with them, just come gushing back.... it's still as magical to me as it was at 4 years old, in that stroller being pushed down Mainstreet Usa for the first time.
I can't wait t be back for Thanksgiving week, again this year.

1) Music on Mainstreet, I listen to it on You Tube all the time:

Happy trips everyone!

--Lori

I looked at ShopDisney and didn't see it. Is this something you can only get in the Parks? I'd love to get two for BFF and me but we won't be in the Parks til next year. Well, she'll be at DL next year. I'm skipping it and going to WDW.

I'm not sure if it's Parks only. They've had them around for a while though so not sure if they're going anywhere. If you're really serious about wanting them PM me and I can try to pick them up for you next time I'm in the parks (I should be going soon) since they're pretty small to ship.

In case you weren’t aware there’s over an hour of Disneyland esplanade music on You Tube. I’ve been playing it around here nearly everyday in anticipation for our trip!

For me it's when we arrive at our hotel. I'm always worried that something will go wrong but once we get our bags into our room I know everything has worked out and it's "real". There's so much relief for me in that moment. We can walk over to Downtown Disney and let the good times roll.

N0,NO, NO......you are not getting off that easy.......I want to read what you felt before TSA.....like in the 60s.....time to share some love!!!!!

When i first went on opening day with Walt, i had no clue, just shared his excitement, he was like a little kid. The 60's we went every weekend we could, until Walt passed. Then the military from 66-70 then at least a couple times a year since then. When I walk into the tunnel, I stand there and take a big deep breath, and thank thank Uncle Walt for being the man he was and how blessed I was back then. Ticket books were always free and we made good use of them. I will always miss them so much if I think about the times. Walt was a task master and expected all the people that worked for him to be the best and be as PERFECT at their work. Good times. Now 71 and everything cost much more, LOL

Jack

You know, in thinking about it, I forgot the feeling of turning onto Harbor coming from the airport. It's when it hits the heart. Oh, I'm getting misty eyed just thinking about it. Is it October yet?

Oh Disboard friends...you are all so kind to share such special DL memories! Thank you, thank you! As I read each of your posts, I get more and more excited. While I don't want to wish away the summer, I cannot wait for the middle of August to get here!:love:

Edited to add: UGH! So sorry, Disfriends! I somehow re-posted this from last night and now I can't figure out how to delete my duplicate post. My apologies! Clearly, I haven't had enough coffee this morning!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter