When Does a DL Trip Become "Real" For You?

Little E

DIS Veteran
I think I posed this question on the Disboards' WDW section before one of our WDW trips a while ago, but I'm so excited for our first DL trip, I figured it would be fun to pose this question again in the DL section too.

Our trip, which includes me, DH, DS 16, and DS 14, will be from August 13-17, 2018. I just paid our trip's final payment today, and I booked our dining reservations last night. I. AM. SO. EXCITED. We are staying at the DLH, and we have three dining reservations...dinner at Steakhouse 55, Blue Bayou, and Naples.

We've been planning and dreaming about this trip since last fall, and now that dining ressies are booked and the final payment has been paid, the trip actually feels "real" to me!

So, here's the question...when does a DL trip feel "real" to you? When you first start planning? When you make reservations? When you start packing? When you arrive? I'm curious to know when your magical vacation actually feels...well...real? pixiedust:

For me, it is at the 2 month mark, when I can start making dining reservations (for the handful of restaurants that are on my must due list) but really I have many mini-milestones. Under 100 days, booking flights, under 90 days, making the final payment, at the 60 day mark.... I am looking forward to this next trip feeling 'real', for some reason it still doesn't to me.

....interesting.......because the visual concept of approaching Disneyland has more magic than that long drive thru woods to WDW.....so my disappointment with WDW was that lack of the Matterhorn reaching for the sky instead of the massive WDW parking lot experience I had. So my magic begins with the visual of the Matterhorn......and as a kid in the community school bus trip to Disneyland in the 60s, the Ontario Stockyards were the signal that we were close to the sight of the Matterhorn, to this day...bags of steer manure for sale ....remind me of Disneyland

Our general planning starts a little over 60 days out, so we can make meal reservations at the 60 day mark, but it isn't "real" just yet. The micro-planning starts a few weeks out: creating a daily to do lists, and a basic game-plan. That's when it starts to feel real.

I guess once we have hotel, tickets, and food reservations made it starts to feel real, but that moment of reality honestly doesn't hit me until we land at LAX.

Two parts here...the drive down from Northern California and hopping off the freeway at South Harbor. And then once in the parks, entering the building in the PoC queue.

I think a few weeks out when I have all the park hours and start figuring out plans etc. Then when I leave work and head to the airport I usually have a bit of a panic attack lol. I always work the day we leave so I am always second guessing myself on what I have forgot to do etc..

Gah, this is a good question. I think it feels real when we see the Matterhorn poking up over the fence... but, like PP, I cry when I read the plaque over the entrance tunnels. So it feels 'real' before that... but it really hits me when I read that plaque. I cry so bad. I really wish they would make replicas that I could put up in my house :(:(

This is what I love about the Disboards...I love all the valuable information and special memories and experiences that folks share. I am a WDW vet, but a DL newbie...it's so much fun to hear from DL lovers about what makes a DL trip real! Thank you for sharing your love of DL; I didn't think it was possible, but I am even more excited for our trip now!

I have several layers of excitement ...

1. Everything paid for -- hotel, tickets, T-shirts.

2. Spotting the Matterhorn driving east across Ball Road from where we stay with family before our trip starts.

3. The trash cans! :rolleyes: Nothing says Disney to me like the themed trash cans. I know, I'm weird.

4. The music in the Esplanade and on Main Street before opening.

PHXscuba

I dunno when we booked for the first time last year- it being a lifelong dream to go but my parents couldn’t afford it and now I was taking my kids... when the screen popped up on the Disneyland website after I paid for everything and it was Mickey and it said “your going to Disneyland”... I burst into tears.

It felt really really real when landed on the plane. I just couldn’t believe it.

Now our next trip is completly paid for and I just don’t think it’s going to feel real to be until we land. I dunno. To many last minute disappointments in my life I suppose lol...

Felt real today when I made our Goofy's Kitchen reservation! But also walking through the esplanade listening to the music and heading to POC, as it's ALWAYS our first ride! So many great memories. Will be there in 58 days. Can't wait!✨

Gah, this is a good question. I think it feels real when we see the Matterhorn poking up over the fence... but, like PP, I cry when I read the plaque over the entrance tunnels. So it feels 'real' before that... but it really hits me when I read that plaque. I cry so bad. I really wish they would make replicas that I could put up in my house :(:(

Did you know that there is a keychain? So that you can carry it with you always.

The night before we go, when we're packing up the van to leave the house before the crack of dawn, trying to get the kids to bed early, and doing all those last minute things before the trip. I always have trouble sleeping the night before because I'm so excited.

When I walk through the Esplenade the first night there, and see the Monorail and the turnstiles on both sides.

I’m always short of breath when I realize where I am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter