When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discover BC campsites open for reservations on May 25 for reservations starting June 1.
My daughter managed to get 2 reservations but took hours with crashing web site. She’s going twice this summer. Once with fiancé and another couple, and another time with a girlfriend. On one res they couldn't get first choice But she’s happy. They’re tent camping.

Honestly, I don't know when the right time would be to open up the boarder. We in Canada have done a great job of flattening the curve and keep the infection rate very low. It makes me wonder/almost scared at how bad the " second wave " might be. I would rather see the boarder open sooner before the second wave, then close it again once infection rates start rising again. At least in the summer we have more ways to practice social distancing. Once the weather cools down and we are forced inside of buildings again, where social distancing is harder. I'm glad I don't have to be the one making that decision.

I guess I'm also " hopefully - which is probably naive thinking " that those who travel interprovincially OR visiting from other countries where their infection rates were much higher than ours, will use some common courtesy and do the social distancing, wash their hands, and if they are sick....STAY IN THEIR HOTELS until they go home.

Do I want to travel around...YES!!!! We travel in Canada during the summers, and I would love to do a trip somewhere warm this winter. But I'm not holding my breath on that one. I think it will be quite some time before travelling internationally will be as easy as it once was.

My SIL has already canceled our AC Vacation flight deposits for Atlantis this summer. We are going to rebook for next summer, likely June 30-July 7 - right when all of our kids are done school for the year.

Honestly, I don't know when the right time would be to open up the boarder. We in Canada have done a great job of flattening the curve and keep the infection rate very low. It makes me wonder/almost scared at how bad the " second wave " might be. I would rather see the boarder open sooner before the second wave, then close it again once infection rates start rising again. At least in the summer we have more ways to practice social distancing. Once the weather cools down and we are forced inside of buildings again, where social distancing is harder. I'm glad I don't have to be the one making that decision.

I guess I'm also " hopefully - which is probably naive thinking " that those who travel interprovincially OR visiting from other countries where their infection rates were much higher than ours, will use some common courtesy and do the social distancing, wash their hands, and if they are sick....STAY IN THEIR HOTELS until they go home.

Do I want to travel around...YES!!!! We travel in Canada during the summers, and I would love to do a trip somewhere warm this winter. But I'm not holding my breath on that one. I think it will be quite some time before travelling internationally will be as easy as it once was.
I’m of 2 minds. Yes I’d love to see the border open this summer, for myself so I can have my Aug WDW trip! Lol. And because I live near the US/BC border I know families are separated. My sister in laws brother and his family were transferred to Seattle, for work. Both he and his wife have aging parents here in B.C. they can’t see.
But when we see the pictures on the news of the behaviour during their holiday weekend I’m o_O And think keep those borders closed!

I’m of 2 minds. Yes I’d love to see the border open this summer, for myself so I can have my Aug WDW trip! Lol. And because I live near the US/BC border I know families are separated. My sister in laws brother and his family were transferred to Seattle, for work. Both he and his wife have aging parents here in B.C. they can’t see.
But when we see the pictures on the news of the behaviour during their holiday weekend I’m o_O And think keep those borders closed!
Yup...ditto!!! There is a reason we have keep our infection rate low. We started to isolate WAY before our numbers even started to get out of hand. As much as I want the boarder to open so that we could MAYBE ( if we really wanted to chance it ) make a trip elsewhere, I think we will just stay put.

I would love a warm winter getaway, but at the rate, I really don't see that happening if we have to quarantine when we get home or vice versa. Sadly, we can't take 3 weeks off for a one week holiday somewhere :(

I am still hopeful for my December cruise, but we will cancel if necessary. I do hope that by next summer we'll be able to go away, perhaps do two weeks in Orlando for a combined Disney/Universal/SeaWorld vacation. Since I won't be using many vacation days this summer, I'll have some saved up.

We can only carry over 2 weeks (10 days) year to year. I also get 5 weeks per year, but my company gives out 1/12 of your vacation per month. So I basically carry over the 10 days every year, in order to have some semblance of vacation time available to me at the start of the year. By the end of the year, I'll have normally used my 2 carry over, and 3 of my 5 gained, once again carrying over 2.

It's going to be hard to use up my vacation time this year, if we can't go anywhere. It seems odd to me to use vacation days to just sit around the house.

We can only carry over 2 weeks (10 days) year to year. I also get 5 weeks per year, but my company gives out 1/12 of your vacation per month. So I basically carry over the 10 days every year, in order to have some semblance of vacation time available to me at the start of the year. By the end of the year, I'll have normally used my 2 carry over, and 3 of my 5 gained, once again carrying over 2.

It's going to be hard to use up my vacation time this year, if we can't go anywhere. It seems odd to me to use vacation days to just sit around the house.

Both DH and I also have 5 weeks per year, had to cancel our March break trip, so we’ve got 25 days each plus personal days to use up by year end. They don’t allow us to carry any over to next year (different employers, but same industry). Normally we have no issues using them all up, not only for trips, but to manage numerous school holidays or when the kids had to stay home due to illness. Now we are always home together...

My husband gets 4 weeks a year and it must be booked all at once (the vacation calendar goes from mid March to mid March) and cannot be moved once you have submitted your dates. He used his first week to go to Hawaii at the beginning of spring break (then we quarantined when we got back). But as of right now our July plans are cancelled, we just cancelled August and October looks tenuous at best. So there's a huge waste of vacation time. We'll probably head to the Okanagan in August I think but that may be it now until March 2021. Sigh.

My husband gets 4 weeks a year and it must be booked all at once (the vacation calendar goes from mid March to mid March) and cannot be moved once you have submitted your dates. He used his first week to go to Hawaii at the beginning of spring break (then we quarantined when we got back). But as of right now our July plans are cancelled, we just cancelled August and October looks tenuous at best. So there's a huge waste of vacation time. We'll probably head to the Okanagan in August I think but that may be it now until March 2021. Sigh.
My wife's is thankfully not quite that strict. She also has to book the majority of her vacation in one shot, but only for what they consider 'peak weeks'. They book those with what I call her 'vacation lottery'. Basically, in the role she has, only 1 is allowed off at any one time. So, sometime in the spring, their boss brings them all together, and they go around the room booking everyone's 1st pick (by seniority), then everyone's second pick, everyone's third pick... etc...

Since I have more flexibility, once her 'lottery' is done, I know what weeks she got off work, and then book mine to match.

What are the chances of the border between USA & Canada being open by the end of August ?

We have booked to fly , from Ireland , to Seattle then pick up rental car & drive to Vancouver & onwards .

Return From Canada at Nelson / Bonners Ferry area into USA and on to Spokane to Seattle .

IF the border is open from USA will it be open From Canada to USA ?

Whether the border is open ... the Flight to Seattle might not be going

Even if it is WE might not travel to Seattle due to the Virus.

I skipped a lot of comments, so I may be repeating, but honestly, you're better off cancelling your trip. There is a good chance the border will still be closed to people coming in from the US, and I can absolutely guarentee that even if it's open, you will be required to quarantine for 14 days. So, you will literally not be able to leave your hotel room for 14 days. As someone else said - they ARE checking on people, and I know here, you are subject to fines and/or jail time if you break quarantine.

If the border does open this summer, you might find provinces wanting to keep their borders closed to keep Internationals out. Can they do that if the federal government opens the Country's border? There would be nowhere for the tourists to go LOL
Yes they can. Right now there are restrictions on travel between some provinces. I can’t think of all of them. But I believe PEI is only allowing residents of PEI.

They are but the legality of it is questionable - according to the Charter that power rests exclusively with the Federal Government. The CCLA has picked up a case in NL to use an example.

Yes, they can. Nova Scotia, PEI, NB all have restrictions on. Some are trying to fight the legality of it, however, under the State of Emergency Act (which is currently in place in NB), they can legally keep the provincial borders closed. No one is allowed to enter NB for example where I live, for non-essential reasons.

I remember several years ago I was on vacation in Halifax (pre camping days) and I was able to drive to Charlottetown PEI and back to Halifax in a day.

Charlottetown to Halifax is a really easy drive now. It's only about 3.5 hours depending on traffic.

This. After seeing the Memorial Day weekend posts, nope... the border can stay closed. And I say that as someone who finds it difficult having it closed. We live on a border town, and used to do quite a bit of shopping over there. The shut down has definitely affected our grocery bill. Plus the ski hill and golf course that we use are both on the US side. So, no golfing or skiing for us this year if the border doesn't open up. We also homeschool and so many of our supplies can only be purchased state-side, or are significantly cheaper state-side, so I've had to completely change our plans for next year.

Praying to the vaccine gods that by April 2021 we can travel safely! 🙏

June for us, but same sentiment.

Yes, they can. Nova Scotia, PEI, NB all have restrictions on. Some are trying to fight the legality of it, however, under the State of Emergency Act (which is currently in place in NB), they can legally keep the provincial borders closed. No one is allowed to enter NB for example where I live, for non-essential reasons.

No - once again they are doing it, but the legality of said measure is questionable without using the notwithstanding clause of the charter. The only body with juristiction to control both trade and travel between the provinces (and foreign states ie the USA) would be the Federal Government. NB/NL/NS are currently restricting entry, however the case I listed shows that the CCLA (and others including myself) hold the view that they lack the authority to do so.

I'll leave you with Section 6 - Mobility of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. I would take a good read of Section 6(2) and section 6(3) – the right to inter-provincial mobility.

No - once again they are doing it, but the legality of said measure is questionable without using the notwithstanding clause of the charter. The only body with juristiction to control both trade and travel between the provinces (and foreign states ie the USA) would be the Federal Government. NB/NL/NS are currently restricting entry, however the case I listed shows that the CCLA (and others including myself) hold the view that they lack the authority to do so.

I'll leave you with Section 6 - Mobility of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. I would take a good read of Section 6(2) and section 6(3) – the right to inter-provincial mobility.

I honestly have no issue with it. I'm happy to have the borders closed for now

We cancelled our September trip to WDW back in March because I figured the borders wouldn't be open and if they were it would be a mandatory self-isolation period for 14 days - with work that is something I can't afford to do. I'm hoping they will be open by the end of the year if not in early 2021 with limited travel restrictions (ie. no self-isolation just a self-monitor). Keeping my fingers crossed that campgrounds open in Ontario for my 2 weeks of vacation in the summer.

Today it was announced that large cruise ships aren't allowed in Canada until Oct 31. I assume this will lessons the hope of the borders opening then. :-(

Today it was announced that large cruise ships aren't allowed in Canada until Oct 31. I assume this will lessons the hope of the borders opening then. :-(
I believe they can come if they have less than 100 people. I just don’t get how it will work if they have to quarantine for 14 days or are they just passing by the sights?
Maybe I’m wrong?

Transport Minister Marc Garneau said Thursday passenger ships with overnight accommodations for more than 100 people - including both passengers and crew - can't operate in Canadian waters until at least Oct. 31.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts