When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he meant it would be even harder to convince them to keep the border closed. I believe this last round, the Americans were already pushing to get it opened. Next time, it'll be even harder.

Yes, they were, though of course Canadian media is playing it like they were "more than agreeable" to keep it closed. Hah. American media tells a different tale.

But that's what I am saying. If we as Canadians cannot visit other provinces, until that restriction is lifted, why would we allow Americans? If they lift the US/Canada ban, they should lift ALL travel bans within Canada.

So we have an interesting conundrum in NB. There is a golf course in NW NB that straddles the border. The course itself is actually on Canadian soil, but the parking lot, pro shop and first tee are on American soil. Before 9/11 there was a country road Canadians could take to access the course without going through the border. However, they shut that down after 9/11. Anyways, so now, Canadians (including members - of which 50% of club members are Canadian) are prohibited from accessing the course. Fine and dandy - the border is closed, we get that. BUT... the problem a lot of people have is that, on the flip side, despite borders being closed, Americans are allowed to play and cross into Canadian soil via the course.

Cancelled our August trip today, Disney Dream cruise and stay at OKW (will call DVC in the morning to cancel that part), just couldn't take all the uncertainty. Rebooked the cruise for March 2021 and as long as our borrowed 2020 points can be put back, will try and book something at the 7 month mark. Next trip on the chopping block: 4 night Disney Wonder mid October 😓 Have until mid July to cancel without penalty.

What are the chances of the border between USA & Canada being open by the end of August ?

We have booked to fly , from Ireland , to Seattle then pick up rental car & drive to Vancouver & onwards .

Return From Canada at Nelson / Bonners Ferry area into USA and on to Spokane to Seattle .

IF the border is open from USA will it be open From Canada to USA ?

Whether the border is open ... the Flight to Seattle might not be going

Even if it is WE might not travel to Seattle due to the Virus.

What are the chances of the border between USA & Canada being open by the end of August ?

We have booked to fly , from Ireland , to Seattle then pick up rental car & drive to Vancouver & onwards .

Return From Canada at Nelson / Bonners Ferry area into USA and on to Spokane to Seattle .

nobody really knows. If cases spike up in the US it could stay closed. But even if it is open in August I think you can pretty much guarantee you will be subject to a mandatory 14 day quarantine period once entering Canada. And they are checking up on this. You are required to give specific details about where you will be quarantined and how you will get things like food. And they do check to make sure you are doing whah you say.

i think I read that BC campgrounds will only be open for residents this year. They don’t even want people from other provinces visiting. So very unlikely they will want any tourists from other countries. BC had worked very hard to keep their numbers low.

If the border does open this summer, you might find provinces wanting to keep their borders closed to keep Internationals out. Can they do that if the federal government opens the Country's border? There would be nowhere for the tourists to go LOL

nobody really knows. If cases spike up in the US it could stay closed. But even if it is open in August I think you can pretty much guarantee you will be subject to a mandatory 14 day quarantine period once entering Canada. And they are checking up on this. You are required to give specific details about where you will be quarantined and how you will get things like food. And they do check to make sure you are doing whah you say.

i think I read that BC campgrounds will only be open for residents this year. They don’t even want people from other provinces visiting. So very unlikely they will want any tourists from other countries. BC had worked very hard to keep their numbers low.
I live in BC and the reservation system just opened this morning for camping (and promptly crashed btw!). I think the point of only having ressies is BC residents wasn't so much that we want people from other provinces to stay home, but it's due to lack of capacity. Only 50% of sites will be open in each park and if you let anyone book those sites, regardless of where they live, then BC residents could be left out in the cold. I think they were just trying to be more fair is all. Also I will point out, both AB and SK are also allowing only residents of those provinces to book provincial campgrounds as well.

If the border does open this summer, you might find provinces wanting to keep their borders closed to keep Internationals out. Can they do that if the federal government opens the Country's border? There would be nowhere for the tourists to go LOL

Yes they can. Right now there are restrictions on travel between some provinces. I can’t think of all of them. But I believe PEI is only allowing residents of PEI.

I live in BC and the reservation system just opened this morning for camping (and promptly crashed btw!). I think the point of only having ressies is BC residents wasn't so much that we want people from other provinces to stay home, but it's due to lack of capacity. Only 50% of sites will be open in each park and if you let anyone book those sites, regardless of where they live, then BC residents could be left out in the cold. I think they were just trying to be more fair is all. Also I will point out, both AB and SK are also allowing only residents of those provinces to book provincial campgrounds as well.

Sorry. I didn’t mean to seem like it was just BC. The poster had mentioned BC that’s why I mentioned it. I know other provinces have similar restrictions. And honestly I think it’s a good idea.

Sorry. I didn’t mean to seem like it was just BC. The poster had mentioned BC that’s why I mentioned it. I know other provinces have similar restrictions. And honestly I think it’s a good idea.
I think it's a good idea too (and I'm not even a camper except for KOAs lol).

Yes they can. Right now there are restrictions on travel between some provinces. I can’t think of all of them. But I believe PEI is only allowing residents of PEI.

They are but the legality of it is questionable - according to the Charter that power rests exclusively with the Federal Government. The CCLA has picked up a case in NL to use an example.

The border might be open and you still might not be able to cross it. Right now (independent of the US/Canada border issue), neither the US nor Canada will allow in people from Europe (I think that Ireland is included in that). If the US lifts this ban before Canada, unless you are willing to spend 14 days in the US before driving to Vancouver, you'd still not be able to cross into Canada, even if the US/Canada border reopened.

I'm a Canadian living in Europe with family in Canada and the US. As it stands now, I can visit my Canadian family (since I'm Canadian), though I'd have to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival (so, I'd only do in some sort of emergency) but cannot see family in the US (and wouldn't be able to even if the US/Canada border was open - unless, as above, I spent 14 days in Canada first).

Funny, I was actually back home when the US started its ban of Europeans. I had to quickly change my flights back, as I had originally planned to fly back via the US (luckily, United gave me no trouble the change (for free), even though my new flight was not one on which they were a codeshare and, usually, is super expensive to book through them)

We love KOA in Cavedish, PEI!
Ditto on the KOAs here, though we usually hit the ones in States more often than the ones in Ontario. Niagara Falls is a nice one, but the Toronto West and Toronto North were a bit of letdown compared to some of the other KOAs we've stayed at. I like to use the KOAs for any of our week long 'tourist' type trips, like Hershey, Pigeon Forge, etc... But since they're pricy, we mix them up with either provincial parks or mom & pop campgrounds for the shorter weekend trips.

I wish we were closer to more of them. I'm not driving 2 days to get to a campsite LOL

We have a KOA just outside of Halifax, but it's much better just as a RV park. Not so much for campsites.

I've driven 2 days, but those are for those week long trips I mentioned. I'll usually book a KOA about 1/2 way to those as well. Like, for the Pigeon Forge trip, I booked into a KOA in Cincinnati for a night on the way there, and on the way back. But those trips I'm not going there just for the KOA. I'm going there for the tourist trap offerings, and making use of a KOA as my choice of campground while there.

Looking at the KOA map, looks like there's a handful of parks in the maritimes, 1 in NFLD, 2 in NS, 1 in NB and 3 in PEI. How distant are those from you? I remember several years ago I was on vacation in Halifax (pre camping days) and I was able to drive to Charlottetown PEI and back to Halifax in a day. It was a long day, and we didn't have long in Charlottetown, but surely you could make most of them (except maybe NFLD) in say, a day's drive since you'd only be heading in one direction. It looks like the kind of distance we'd probably do for an extended long weekend (like take the friday off for the drive there, spend Fri, Sat, Sun, drive home on a holiday Monday.)

Oh, and I realize we're going completely off topic, so to 'kind of' bring it back on topic, of course you wouldn't be able to do any of those trips other than the one in your home province until they open the borders between the provinces. There, that's back on topic right? :rolleyes1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!