When do you stop renting a stroller?

Not if the transportation is your own car. Sometimes we didn't even fold the thing, we just threw it in the back of the van as is. :D

That’s the best reason for an umbrella stroller and driving to the parks that I’ve ever heard :worship:

Seriously? Some kids can walk at 10 months. There’s no way I’d recommend going to Disney without a stroller for a kid that little.
When the kid can walk enough to do it in the parks. I never said as soon as they stand up on their own and walk two steps.

None of us in my family (kids) ever rode in a stroller in Disney and started going as young as 3. It didn't kill us.

So good news you can rent a stroller (if over 50lbs it'd be the double) from Disney as a back up.

I would not bring a stroller for the average 8 year old just in case off chance they get tired. It's WDW we all get tired. We all get exhausted feet hurting, etc. And presumably as the child ages the more and more walking they'll be doing which can mean the more likely they'll get worn out. I would plan on taking breaks and frankly that's what we did even though we don't have a child to bring. I'm an adult but I need a break too :) I tried getting my husband to give me a piggyback but sadly nope (I joke truly).

As a younger child you may get more tired with being out and about. As you get older your tiredness may shift to your feet the more and more you walk.

Even a show that you can watch can help out (sadly we don't have Ellen's Energy Adventure with a loonngg ride to help out). Sit down and relax a couple times a day. Using mealtimes as a good way to get your feet and your son's feet a break. Pace yourself. If you're concerned about bringing belongings with you take stock of what you brought in the past, what you actually need for the future and perhaps get a park bag or backpack that is lightweight and is of a size you can handle.

you’re coming back from Italy watching Illuminations
I know probably totally not the point but I thought I would mention just in case you were unaware. IllumiNations is ending this year (last show is Sep 30th) and will be replaced with another show starting October 1st called Epcot Forever.

When the kids turned 4..NO stroller. They did great. Unless a child has a disability...over 4. They can open and close a park. If this 48 year old can...a 5 year old certainly can.
I told my daughter.."ill piggy back you, but you are too old for a stroller at 4." she agreed.
Nothing is more sad than seeing a perfectly fine and fit 8 year old in a stroller...and we all have, sad really. If my son was seen in a stroller at say..7, he'd get a beating at school..lol and i couldnt argue with it..lol

Last edited:

It's all up to how your kids are really. With mine we have rarely ever used a stroller. I babywore 90% of the time and really only ever used a stroller for airports. My kids have been doing big walking trips since they were around 3 years of age, and so we ditched it ages ago. That is just my kids, and everyone is different. At 8 I think going without a stroller can be reasonable. I know my 8 year old can walk circles around us all day long. I always plan on taking a few breaks to sit, more for my poor legs than for theirs.

A lot of parents use a stroller for transporting a ton of stuff that can not be carried. We are light travelers and by the time our third came along I gave up diaper bags. I kept my car stocked but I would throw a diaper in a purse and off we'd go. Sticking a 8 year old in a stroller gives parents the opportunity to rush from ride to ride. My family would rather take our time and soak in the atmosphere. Our 8 year old would think we were crazy if we tried to stick her in a stroller. Really??? An 8 year old is in second or third grade and physically able to walk a park(even one as large as WDW)if the parent is willing to slow down. I'm sorry BUT when you travel with children you have to adjust your touring style. Prior to children my dh and I would hit the parks from morning to night. We covered the parks from top to bottom and would only break for a quick meal. Our trips are much more enjoyable now that we have to slow down. We've witnessed a lot of families struggling to push a child that is obviously to large for the stroller they are in. Strollers are meant for young children and babies not a healthy 8 year old who has more energy than the person who would be pushing them.

When the kid can walk enough to do it in the parks. I never said as soon as they stand up on their own and walk two steps.

None of us in my family (kids) ever rode in a stroller in Disney and started going as young as 3. It didn't kill us.

Your exact words were “when the kid can walk.” So yeah, that means when they can stand up on their own and take 2 steps.

I think 8 is probably a good age to let the kid walk barring medical issues, and maybe start experimenting with going back to the resort in the afternoon for a few hours to rest sore legs as needed. You'll know better what your kid is ready for than any of us, though.

We stopped with strollers about two months before my younger one turned 5...so she was an older 4 year old when we started stroller free. The older one was 6 a the time. We had been to WDW about 10 months prior to that and barely used our rented stroller, so knew it was time for the freedom of being stroller free.

We are going totally stroller free this year for the first time. My youngest will just be 5 and son will be 8. we did a trial run on one day our last trip and it was soo much simplier without the stroller.

Depending on when in 2020 you go, that 8 year old could be almost 4.5 feet tall. I’m going to venture to say it will be a tight squeeze in almost any stroller at that height. At that point you almost need a pediatric wheelchair if a child has a need for a mobility device.

When the kids turned 4..NO stroller. They did great. Unless a child has a disability...over 4. They can open and close a park. If this 48 year old can...a 5 year old certainly can.
I told my daughter.."ill piggy back you, but you are too old for a stroller at 4." she agreed.
Nothing is more sad than seeing a perfectly fine and fit 8 year old in a stroller...and we all have, sad really. If my son was seen in a stroller at say..7, he'd get a beating at school..lol and i couldnt argue with it..lol

Please remember though, a child of 8 may look completely healthy but have an underlying illness that isn't physically visible to others. Don't assume that every ' healthy' older child you view in a stroller is actually healthy. I am sure most are, but never assume:)

Edited to say, I have received several dirty looks and comments when DS( now 10) had to sit in my DD1 stroller a few trips ago when he was 9( just so we could make it back to the resort.)He is normally a 'healthy' boy, however he has a chronic illness, you wouldn't be able to ' detect' just by looking at him. Sometimes he is ill only a few days every month, other times up to 10 days out of a month. Be kind to others please, you don't always know their situation.

Last edited:
8 is too old for a stroller.

We have triplets and rented strollers for them until they were 6. By that time they didn't use them much, but they were great for hanging all the crap we needed to carry around on them. If we had only one kid, we probably would have stopped using strollers sooner.

At 7 and 8 our kids were doing all day park days on foot at all the parks. We always offered to go back to the pool after lunch if they wanted to. We don't do back to back park days, which helps. We do TS lunch and dinner, and those breaks help. We tend to have laid back park plans because we go yearly, so that helps.

Kids are strong and resilient. Give them water, bring snacks, don't run them ragged, and they will do fine.

Certainly, if your child attends a school where physical violence is meted out to children for things like being seen riding in a stroller in Disney at the age of 7, that would be a good reason not to rent one.
Im just saying in ANY school...kids still fight and get picked on..thats part of growing up a boy to man. It is what it is.

We stopped at kindergarten. My younger son has tone issues with his legs, even, and did/does just fine. You just need to realize that you will be moving slower and sniffing the flowers a bit more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!