When do you start buying extra things for Disney?

disneydreamerinny

Elliot’s MiMi
I am now 6 months out before our 2nd trip of a lifetime and I am starting to think about when to start stocking up on batteries and film and the like.

I already have a box started with some summer things that I didnt pack away in the fall that we will use in May, like personal fans and mistys for the kids.

I plan on buying bottled water, little cereal boxes, cereal bars,cracker snacks, and things like that to take down with us but that kind of stuff I dont want to get until a couple of weeks out so it will still be fresh.

What do all of you stock up on? And how far in advance to you begin to shop?

:D

I start stocking the minute I get back...

Ok, maybe not that soon. But now would be a good time, it makes me feel like it's closer than it is...plus, there isn't a huge expense right before you leave. Remember though that film and batteries do have expiration dates. Check them before you buy them to make sure the store has fresh items! ( I learned this a few years ago, with horrible yellow picture. It was heartbreaking!)

:)

HI! I usually start to buy things about 2-3 months ahead of time. I will buy a few things a week this way I don't break the bank. Make a list of things you will buy each week. Even if it's only one item.

Melissa

This is what I hope to accomplish by starting early. Not having a huge bill right before we go.
Thanks for the tips.

Anything else anyone buys ahead of time?:earsgirl:

You could buy disposable rain ponchos, shampoo, deoderant, soap, laundry detergent, sun screen (make sure to check the expiration date), little extras for the trip like Disney pens, paper etc...

I usually start 4 months out....i pick up a few small prepackaged food items each time i go food shopping. An extra 5 or 10 bucks on the grociery bill isn't even noticed and the items get tucked away in my "Disney" corner in the spare bed room. I start scanning the sale flyers around that same time for film sales. I generally pick up the 4 or 5 packs when they go on sale. (just less bulky than individual boxes - especailly seeing as how i generally take 12 to 16 rolls of film with me. An example as to how pricy film at WDW can be.....i didn't expect to blow thru film so quickly at AK this year, and ran out mid day. I purchased one roll for 10 dollars and change!!!! An entire 4 pack - with bonus free 5th roll of Kodak film at WalMart only cost me $8.00!!!!! So stock up and most importantly....remeber to take it to the park with you and not leave it in the hotel room! )

I have never been so fortunate as to find camera batteries on sale. I pick one up about a month out. Don't forget to add calling cards to the list of things to pick up if you use them while traveling.

- lori

like LoriandMatt, I stock up on the film. I watch the Sunday supplements in the newspaper for bargains on things like the film, toilet articles, etc. I have a suitcase devoted to Disney stuff, and when I return from a trip, I immediately repack the rain ponchos, mister fans,and other things I'll be using again and again. then, as the bargains pop up, I start collecting. I watch the Disney store sales, and when those 50% or 75% sales hit, I stock up on tee-shirts, or whatever. I watch for Disney photo albums on sale and I've found these at Walgreens, K-Mat, Target, etc. I get stickers, too, to decorate the albums.

We're ALWAYS stocking up. If I find a good travel item or if I buy extra of something, it all goes on a one-gallon ziplock bag, ready for our next trip. I was surprised about how much we collected when I went to pack for our trip back in November.

Holly

I always watch the flyers from the sunday papers. If someone is having Buy 1 Get 1 free I am
there one goes in the vacation box one in the cupboard. I am always getting shampoo soaps, and all kinds of meds this way. The Drugstore ads are the best for this type of deal.:jester:

Well, for instance, we are leaving on the 17th of January to go, and I am already picking up little odds and ends...travel this, travel that items, starting to figure out what to pack. Usually 1 week before we go, I am packed. Even our tolietries. I always buy 2 so I can just pack what I need and that way, I can get up that morning, get dressed and GO GO GO !!!!

I guess I kinda procrastinate.... we dont do a huge trip yearly, we always go about 5-6 times a year since we live so close , so I have my packing down to a science!

I start months ahead of time (as in 6 months or more!). I am getting ready for two upcoming trips (I know.... I know... I AM very lucky! :) ) Anyway, I just recently picked up a power strip for my DCL cruise in April. I have a stack of stuff in my closet that is "WDW" related travel stuff. Swim goggles, Swim toys, Mesh bags for pool stuff, a tupperware container with a supply of first aid type of stuff and odds and ends (sewing kit etc). I just got a over the door shoe pocket organizer to take on our cruise too... because some one posted on the Cruise Line forum that these are wonderful to put on your door in your room - and keep all the small stuff organized and visible! I thought this was a wonderful idea - as we seem to have a lot of stuff "floating" around our room - making it feel cluttered and small. Thinks like extra maps, small toys, Sunscreen bottles, swim goggles, etc. etc. This way they are handy - but out of the way!

You guys are really on top of things. I thought we were doing good by starting a "change jar" 4 months in advance, picking up Disney Dollars here and there, and buying a couple of 97 cent rain ponchos last week. We leave in 29 days. :D

We have 38 more days to go!!! And I am usually really gong-ho before any vacation in the preperations, but this year I'm fellin' the blues. I've got the post-Christmas blues, the I'm pregnant and sick all the time blues. I've got to snap out of it...quick. I do have a few items collected and in a carry-on bag. But I really haven't made up my packing list and given thought to all the extras to bring. I'm more interested on taking down all the Christmas decorations already. Yes, I know sad! :(
:sunny: Where's my sunny dispostion when I need it most??

I am leaving in 32 days, and I am STILL packed from my last trip in Nov.!:eek: Everything is clean, and ready to GO! All I have to get is the snacks, which I get from my local Dollar Store! I also have plenty of film, as I stocked up for the Nov. trip!(12 rolls)!

c'mon girl! Get some help taking those Xmas decs down, get the house all cleaned up and DUST OFF that ol' Disney guide! It's sure to put you in the right frame of mind. :) How far along are you btw?

Blue, dear

Thanks for the encouragment! I'm 4 months along. My first pregnancy was a breeze compared to this. But I'm pulling through. :) My husband is outside taking down all the decorations and lights as I type. Thank goodness!
Yesterday was a good day...went shopping with our friends!! And today will be better...a New Year's party at their house with all the kids! Now if the weather would only cooperate. BRRRRR!!

Well there ya go, see? GOOD DH! Glad to hear you're no longer depressed. And here's hopin' you're no longer sick by the time your trip rolls around! I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter