When Disney ROFR your contract

DGHProp

Earning My Ears
What I’m reading on buying resale now is that Disney is taking longer than 30 days to buy back the contract or let it pass. Of course there’s really no rhythm or reason on which ones they take and which ones they pass. I have heard they aren’t taking any of the Alunia contracts.
For those that Disney exercised the ROFR...when were you notified? Is there a common time of the week you are sent the dreaded email? Or maybe it depends on certain companies where you buy your resale. I guess I’m just curious if there is a common thread when you’re notified good or bad.

What I’m reading on buying resale now is that Disney is taking longer than 30 days to buy back the contract or let it pass. Of course there’s really no rhythm or reason on which ones they take and which ones they pass. I have heard they aren’t taking any of the Alunia contracts.
For those that Disney exercised the ROFR...when were you notified? Is there a common time of the week you are sent the dreaded email? Or maybe it depends on certain companies where you buy your resale. I guess I’m just curious if there is a common thread when you’re notified good or bad.
When people start to think they know the trend is when it changes. ROFR has been that way for as long as I've known it.

We waited 42 days to find out ours was taken March into April. We waited a month from it being taken to submit again and now have been waiting 10 days... That ROFR thread is invaluable. Skim through some of that.

We waited 44 days for our contract to be taken in March/April but they do seem to have caught up on the backlog and most contracts are passed/taken now by 3 weeks. My second contract passed in just 16 days.

I don't think anyone has ever figured out how Disney decide which contracts to take and which to let pass on.
I have seen expensive contracts get taken and cheap ones pass and the oposite happen.
I suspect a lot has to do with what demand they have for points and certain resorts.

MY VGF contract was ROFR'd by Disney within about two weeks of it being submitted to Disney. Very disappointed as it was obviously a good deal, hence why Disney took it.

MY VGF contract was ROFR'd by Disney within about two weeks of it being submitted to Disney. Very disappointed as it was obviously a good deal, hence why Disney took it.
Did you put the contract on the ROFR thread? I am looking at VGF contracts and trying to gauge points, price, UY, etc.

I think there is certainly a method to their madness as to which contracts they ROFR, we just do not fully know it all. They are not just throwing darts and taking the contracts they land on.

1. Disney could need points in a specific residential unit, and therefore take one in that RU what is a few dollars higher than a similar contract in a different RU.

2. Stripped contracts still count toward Disney's required ownership interest - even though there are no "current points" on them. buying a stripped on might facilitate a sale of other points.

2. Stripped contracts still count toward Disney's required ownership interest - even though there are no "current points" on them. buying a stripped on might facilitate a sale of other points.
This is probably the best guess for why DVC buys stripped contracts. They could simply revert their declared ownership to those points and shift old declared points to "unsold" inventory. This is a big benefit for the mouse. By doing so DVC doesn't need to pay dues on this as the prior owner typically would have per the agreement of the sale. Then the points they would have had to paid Dues on are shifted to "unsold" inventory which because of the developer guarantee they don't need to pay. DVC only pays its dues on the inventory they declare as owning and "unsold" inventory doesn't need dues paid by issuing that guarantee. Now DVC does pay a fair amount of dues on the points they own and some resorts they do subsidize the resort per the developer guarantee (SSR for instance was subsidized in 2017).

This is my personal experience with 4 contracts that have been taken by ROFR and 6 contracts that passed ROFR. I've received notification from my broker that is passed ROFR under 30 days. When it's taken more than 30 days, I've received the bad news. Again, only personal experience.

I got ROFRed two weeks ago for a SSR resale for $99/pt, 210 pts. Disney took only 2 weeks from the offer date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter