When did your kid learn the truth about the characters?

I grew up with knowing that Mickey was a cartoon character on TV and at the movies. I was surprised to find out here that some children thought that the characters were real. Actually it was shocking.

But as I am older my generation never thought Santa was real after about 6 years old. I was surprised at the efforts many parents went to to delay their children knowing the truth about Santa. I don't really care what others do, but it was surprising to me to find out the extents that others went to trying to convince their children that Santa existed. Especially when so many children have access to the internet.

They both took their first trips a week or two before turning 3, and they always knew that the characters were just people dressed in costumes. We went last week at 8 and 10 (almost 9 and 11) and they were kind enough to go get pics taken with Minnie and Mickey for me, but only because there was a 5 minute wait. My oldest also wanted to meet Alice because she's in Alice in Wonderland at her school, but other than that, no real interest in characters. When they were just shy of 3 and 5 they loved them though- knowing they were just people dressed up never made them less appealing at that age!

I'll never forget when our second child left us know that the "princesses" were just girls dressed up. She was almost 4 and informed everyone around us. Strange thing, she was completely in love with the costumed characters and I believe she thought they were real at the time. We never led them to believe they were real and just let them figure it out on their own. Our youngest never believed in any of them and called Sophia strange. Funny thing with her, she LOVED the Grinch and the Scooby gang. Of course she swears they are real. Kids!!

Another vote for prolonging the magic...when asked by my 4y/o, I usually reply, "what do you think?". I don't confirm or deny her response, but I see no reason to spoil her vivid imagination.

DD figured out that characters were people in costume at age 3: "That's not Dora. Dora's little like me." It never spoiled any magic for her though, and it didn't interfere with her belief in other characters that make an appearance each year.

Kids believe what they want to believe. If they want to believe, they will stretch their imaginations to find a scenario that fits. That's why I always say that the right answer is, "What do you think?" and then go with their response.

It is amazing how different kids are... My oldest just turned 8 and still rather convinced of all magic. My son is 5 and when his older sister lost her first tooth he wasnt 4 yet. He looked at me and was like but you and Dad are the tooth fairy right? We tend to say "what do you think?" when they ask. I love the magic and pretending but my son (and husband) are so pragmatic. My youngest is 2 and we are looking forward to seeing which way she looks at the world!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter