When did Sci-Fi Dine In become so popular?

My recommendation is to just keep trying to find a reservation multiple times a day. I know it's a pain but experience is that often something will open up closer to your trip. Last year for me it was 'Ohana and I checked multiple times each day for about 8 weeks then finally one day a reservation opened up so I snagged it.

I agree that people's plans are often fluid so they may have extra reservations booked until they nail down the itinerary for their trip. The closer you get to December the more reservations will open up. There will not be a lot of movement for a while now but come October and November a lot will change, especially as final trip payments come due and some people sadly have to cancel their trip.

I booked sci fi last week for my December trip. We also went last minute in April and at that time they allowed us to do a walk up and get a reservation whereas 50 prime time made us do a reservation, which was available via the app. We are a family we of 4 for December. Just the two for April

I too can't get BOG, Sci Fi, CRT or ohana for December, I tried to book at 180 days out at 6am and wasn't given ANY time slots for any of these restaurants for any of our 8 days. I've never had this happen!!! We usually get what we want at 180 days out, maybe not exact time but at least we are given a time slot. I'm baffled.

I too can't get BOG, Sci Fi, CRT or ohana for December, I tried to book at 180 days out at 6am and wasn't given ANY time slots for any of these restaurants for any of our 8 days. I've never had this happen!!! We usually get what we want at 180 days out, maybe not exact time but at least we are given a time slot. I'm baffled.
Free dining (actual and speculated), candlelight processional (with Epcot restaurants being overcrowded, people are making ADRs at other restaurants instead to use those TS credits), and some restaurants aren't releasing availability on time, causing the higher demand for the other restaurants.

Plus, of course, more and more are learning of the 180 day 6am window opening. Even those who don't have solid plans are booking ADRs just in case they can book that trip. Some are booking ADRs for multiple possible trip dates, and then canceling the week (or weeks) of ADRs they aren't going to be going.

Free dining (actual and speculated), candlelight processional (with Epcot restaurants being overcrowded, people are making ADRs at other restaurants instead to use those TS credits), and some restaurants aren't releasing availability on time, causing the higher demand for the other restaurants.

Plus, of course, more and more are learning of the 180 day 6am window opening. Even those who don't have solid plans are booking ADRs just in case they can book that trip. Some are booking ADRs for multiple possible trip dates, and then canceling the week (or weeks) of ADRs they aren't going to be going.
OK, this makes a bit more sense. I called and was told this is normal for this time of year and keep trying. I just find it hard to believe I can't get any of these restaurants at 6am at 180 days out when I'm trying for any of my 8 days there. I assumed it had to do with the free dining, but still thought I could get something at 6am, not one of these in my 8 days that I'll be there in December.

OK, this makes a bit more sense. I called and was told this is normal for this time of year and keep trying. I just find it hard to believe I can't get any of these restaurants at 6am at 180 days out when I'm trying for any of my 8 days there. I assumed it had to do with the free dining, but still thought I could get something at 6am, not one of these in my 8 days that I'll be there in December.
Oh, I forgot to add all the early closings for MVMCP causing less availability at MK, which also pushes demand up everywhere else.

Between MVMCP and CP at Epcot, HS gets slammed for dinner ADRs (AK isn't scheduled to be open late enough.. at least not yet... for the masses to plan on dinner there, and the TS options are VERY limited anyway).

My parents just decided (at my behest) to add 2 days at Disney to our Orlando trip this November/December. We decided on Epcot and HS, and while we found reservations for Biergarten at Epcot easily enough; Sci-Fi Dine In was booked for both lunch and dinner every day we'll be in Orlando. Last time I went to Disney and wanted reservations there (August 2014), I had no troubles reserving a table even less than 180 days out. Did it see a spike in popularity in recent years, or is there something I'm missing?
It's not Sci-Fi that has spiked in popularity so much in recent years, as November/December. Dozens of posters have complained on the boards about having a very hard time making dining reservations for this November & December for all kinds of restaurants. I would expect November/December to be more crowded this year than usual. Over the past few years, fall has become Disney's busiest season. Free dining doesn't help the ADR situation, either.

If you haven't already, get a free Basic Access account at Touring Plans reservation finder to help you snag the ressies. It's an effective service.

Last edited:

Sci Fi has been talked down on the Dis pretty often over the years, but we love the place. We go for lunch every trip. And every time there is a wait to be seated & the place is full. I think it has always been popular, despite what you might read on these boards. It is sometimes easier to get dinner ADRs as many people don't spend all day in the parks. But with Fantasmic packages taking up slots at the other sit down restaurants & the higher price point of HBD, Sci Fi is an attractive option for dinner too.

Add the unique atmosphere, the over all increase in attandence, increased use of the dining plan (free or not), more people doing preplanning at the 180 mark including the folks who make multiple ADRs on different MDE accounts & it can make things pretty difficult.

Good luck OP!

I have really strong feelings about this. I just did my 180+10 dining reservations last week. One breakfast and one dinner per day (except Cali Grill Brunch day!) I think there should be some way to limit ADRS, so maybe each person could only be holding a maximum of 1 breakfast, one lunch and one dinner per day?
I had really good luck with my ADRs this time, and there was only a couple I couldn't get, and settled for second choices, But holding reservations seems unfair.
We got lucky and the kids top picks / must dos were bookable, albeit with an amount of juggling and swapping days etc. But, this is a once in a life time trip for them, and imagine if they were not because someone was hoarding reservations? It just seems wrong.
I guess people blame the disney system, but, I would feel like I was stealing someone else's holiday.

I was flabbergasted (to use my Grandmother's favorite word) to read those posts. It never even occurred to me to book multiple reservations that way. I guess I was just happily planning/stalking/booking under the assumption that everyone is using similar strategies that I'd been using (read: I was naïve). It was kind of an eye-opener to me, and I agree with you and PP, that it seems somehow unfair.

I managed to get a reservation; thanks all who suggested TouringPlan's reservation finder!!

I really disagree with people booking tons of ADRs and then dropping them later, but that's their choice I suppose. -_-

Touring Plans came through for my Aug 31st date today too! looks like a lot of harder ADRs come available at the 60+10 mark ... fastpass selections let people release their extra dining. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter