Wheelchairs: what do you wish you had known?

WinstonC

Mouseketeer
Hey, everyone. So my mother and I are taking an adult mom-son trip to WDW next month. While she is able to walk short distances without much problem, she‘s not steady on her feet and can’t stand for extended periods. So, I’m renting a wheelchair from Scooterbug and having it delivered to the CR. (We’re opting for a wheelchair over a scooter for a few reasons.)

She’s used a wheelchair at WDW before, but it was only for a couple of days many years ago after a mild ankle sprain, and the rest of the time she was fine. This trip, she’ll be in the wheelchair for most of the time that we’re in the parks and probably around the resorts as well. I’ll be doing the pushing!

I’d like to know, from those of you who do use or have used wheelchairs at WDW, what‘s the one thing (or more than one thing!) you wish you’d known beforehand? I’ve reviewed the intel on attraction access categories on the WDW website, but I’d love to have your insight on how to make things as easy as possible on my mom and on me. Many thanks!

Last edited:
Hey, everyone. So my mother and I are taking an adult mom-son trip to WDW next month. While she is able to walk short distances without much problem, she‘s not steady on her feet and can’t stand for extended periods. So, I’m renting a wheelchair from Scooterbug and having it delivered to the CR. (We’re opting for a wheelchair over a scooter for a few reasons.)

So, she’s used a wheelchair at WDW before, but it was only for a couple of days many years ago after a mild ankle sprain, and the rest of the time she was fine. This trip, she’ll be in the wheelchair for most of the time that we’re in the parks and probably around the resorts as well. I’ll be doing the pushing!

I’d like to know, from those of you who do use or have used wheelchairs at WDW, what‘s the one thing (or more than one thing!) you wish you’d known beforehand? I’ve reviewed the intel on attraction access categories on the WDW website, but I’d love to have your insight on how to make things as easy as possible on my mom and on me. Many thanks!

Hi, WinstonC.

I see Scooterbug rents three different adult wheelchairs base on weight capacity and seat width.

18 Compact

The comfortable, 18-inch wheelchair is equipped with a breathable mesh seat, seatbelt, and a durable steel frame. This is a great option for guests looking for smaller seat size for 250 lbs larger capacity needs.

ScooterBug’s lightweight aluminum 20-inch standard-sized transport chair is the ideal choice for comfort and portability for 350 lbs larger capacity needs.

The comfortable, extra-wide 24-inch breathable mesh seat and durable steel frame make this wheelchair the choice for 450 lbs larger capacity needs.

Choose a wheelchair based on weight capacity or greater, then seat width for comfort.

Add an additional identification to the wheelchair in addition to a renter's I.D. just in case some else with the same rental chair. Since most caregivers automatically reach for the wheelchair's handgrips, I would put a ribbon or a luggage tag with your info.

Besides a rain poncho for both of you, get a cheap poncho to put over the wheelchair if no one is sitting in it and you think it might rain. And rubber bands to keep it from blowing away.

Lock wheelchair when your mother steps in/out of a wheelchair. Or near an edge of a curb, or platform, or a hill even if sitting so the wheelchair doesn't tip over.

Ask cast members if you don't know something like is the bus or attraction queue is mainstream or separate handicap entrance.

Be careful when crossing MK Main Street trolley tracks because sometimes the wheelchair's front, free-turning wheels may get caught and tip the wheelchair.

Be careful when using any ramps. Especially steep ones If going down, maybe turn the wheelchair around and roll backwards to decrease the fear of falling out. Or it could be a small thrill ride. :)

When exiting ramps with raised, side guards, roll the wheelchair straight all the way down the ramp until rear wheels reach the ground before deciding to make a turn. Accidentally turning too early over the ramps protective lip could tip the wheelchair.

When using some bus queues like at MK, which is mainsteam, roll through to the front row and push the handicap gate open and roll next to metal gate and wait for bus driver to arrive and to wave you to enter the ramp. You can inform the bus driver she could sit next to you and you could hold the folded wheelchair Just ask the bus driver where the best place for you to sit and hold the folded wheelchair. Or she could stay in the wheelchair and be tied down

Other bus stops just hace a painted, rectangular, handicap space on the pavement like at AKL or CR. Just park there. Pop Century Resort has a separate chained entance that you drive too. Here the painted, rectangular, handicap space on the pavement was just used to show the length and width limits like all the others do. But at PCR roll past this symbol by the chain fence and wait.

Pick up handicap park guide maps for a reference.

Magic Kingdom

EPCOT

Disney Hollywood Studios
Animal Kingdom

Last edited:
A couple things I have learned from pushing my Mom in a wheelchair at Disneyland (or her on a scooter at WDW):
  • You and her will become invisible! It is like no one can see you, so be very watchful. People will try to cut right in front of the wheelchair (even between the feet plates) and I have had a few nearly land in her lap.
  • Holding a wheelchair on a ramp (either facing up or down) is very hard. I have figured out that it is best to turn the wheelchair at a 90 degree angle when waiting in line so it is sideways instead of facing up or down. Hard to explain, but you will not have to hold as tight to keep it from moving.
  • For the buses, use the handicap portion of the queue even if you plan to fold the wheelchair. This will make it easier for your Mom (can either push her on and she transfers to a seat or she can walk up the ramp). This will also guarantee her a seat on the bus!
  • When in doubt about where to go at a ride, the cast members will always be more than happy to direct you to where you need to go. Also they will ask if you can walk a few steps or stand a few minutes. Really think about those as some times it is longer than you originally think. We bring my Mom's cane for extra support if she needs to stand a few minutes.

My DH used a wheelchair and I was the one pushing. Some one here mentioned using padded bike gloves to protect again blisters on your hands. I did use them and they worked well most of the time. Now perhaps it was because I am cheap and bought a cheap pair, but I did get a "hot spot". I put a piece of mole skin under the glove and it worked fine.

Depending on when you are going, your mom might need a jacket while you are sweating. Sitting , you don't build up body heat that you do walking around.

Last edited:

She’s used a wheelchair at WDW before, but it was only for a couple of days many years ago after a mild ankle sprain, and the rest of the time she was fine. This trip, she’ll be in the wheelchair for most of the time that we’re in the parks and probably around the resorts as well. I’ll be doing the pushing!

watch the tracks on Main Street in MK as they catch the little front wheels and can make you trip the chair spilling her out to the ground. and take the chair with you in line so she can have a place to sit while in line. not something you mentioned but how do you plan to work out bathrooms in parks? just aheads up allow extra time dont wait until last minute if using the handicapped ones as person ahead of you might have to take extra time to finish and get out so you can get in. be it meals or rides always ask first CM at beginning of line or at the door how they handle wheelchairs there. you may be new you chair but CMs see them every day and are always ready to help you. easier to take an extra minute or 2 at beginning to line than to have to back up redo what needs to be done

There are family restrooms available in the parks. These will be friendly to both sexes; so, you could easily go with your mom and her wheelchair together in these special restrooms.

You may need a few breaks from pushing the wheelchair; take some rest here and there. Stop for a snack or a meal and rest for a while. There are some theater like attractions like the Halls of President in MK were you can take a rest, too. There will be special areas in the theaters were wheelchair space is available. For theater shows you will go in first to get situated.

Make sure you assist your mom in and out of rides when necessary. Boat rides can be tough; you need to take a big step down and back up again. Lend a helping hand. Test Track in Epcot is a little tough getting in and out of the ride. Soarin' in Epcot requires you to use an elevator to get to the floor level where the ride is located. You may need to buckle your mom in the Soarin' ride before you seat yourself. There are a few rides like the Jungle Cruise in MK where you can use a special boat and stay in your wheelchair. There are holding areas where you place the wheelchair while doing rides.

Don't know the exact details of your mom's condition but she may need a mid day break and nap. Don't overdo it. Also, if she wants to walk for a while she can use the wheelchair for balance and push it herself. Of course, your mom can free walk and you can push the empty wheelchair.

Don't do too much backtracking in the parks. Go in a loop. This will save you time and pushing power. Have a plan.

Also, just in case you don't know park live entertainment is very limited right now. There are no street live entertainment shows like the barbershop quartet, no parades or fireworks, either. There are a few cavalcades of live characters. You will need a pass reservation each day for the park and table service restaurants requires reservations, too.

Last edited:

Sorry, thought of something else for you after seeing mention of bathrooms... If your Mom can walk some small distances, have her push the empty wheelchair. It then acts like a walker for her and gives her something to hold onto. This would work well for bathrooms if she wants to go into the women's restroom.

Number one: use weight ( fingerless) gloves. Your hands will thank you. This applies to self propel and pusher alike.

2: bring a foam or gel seat cushion. Your butt will thank you.

3: bring a backpack or other bag with handles that can be hung off the back of the chair. Just be careful when getting out if it is heavy to avoid tipping over. I have a small camelback that holds the rain ponchos, sunscreen and other small necessities with enough room for extra souvenirs or snacks.

4: use the ‘family’ restrooms. The ones that are typically located in an area near but not at the regular ones. Large enough for you and the chair to wheel in if she needs assistance getting over to the toilet.

DW has back issues and while she can easily transfer to/from a wheelchair and walk a fair bit at a time. She needs the wheelchair for any real distance. So probably similar to your mom.

The major items have been covered already, but I cannot stress enough how non-flat the parks actually can be. This is especially true for Epcot and AK, where the size of the park lends a false sense of flatness. You have been warned!

Since she can transfer, don't let her stay in the chair on the bus. It will just slow you, the bus driver and everyone else waiting, down.

If you use the Skyliner, don't use the HC lane. Use the regular line, have her out of the chair and fold it up prior to getting on. It'll be a whole lot simpler.

If you're driving to a park and don't have a HC placard, don't worry. Just tell the CM that you need Medical Parking, and they'll direct you to a reserved spot at the end of a row. Super convenient. We did this several times.

Steve

Take your time. It will take longer to get places, so I encourage a touring plan, rather than going back and forth all day.

Definitely get gloves for whoever it pushing.

Also, definitely bring a cushion for your mom. Those chairs are not very comfortable for long periods.

One last thing I didn't see mentioned by my friends above:

Always, always always make sure that either you, or she, flips the foot rests up out of the way when she is entering or exiting the chair. It helps eliminate the possibility that she will injure her foot or ankle, or worst-case, that she could trip and fall by catching a foot on one of the foot rests.

Oh - and bring along a beach towel - maybe in fun colors, or her favorite Disney character - to cover the seat if it isn't raining, but it is hot and sunny! Most rental chairs have black seats/cushions, and it will be more comfortable for her.

I hope you all have the best time - my (adult) daughter and I sneak off to WDW every chance we get to act our shoe size, and not our ages! 🙂

I don't know if your mom uses anything at home, but (and this is just off the top of my head, not from experience) bring along one of those folding canes. There may be times like using rest room, going into restaurant, walking short distance to ride (the last 20 ft) a cane might be handy.

Edit to add. although we haven't used any type of cane at WDW, we do have cane, walkers and rollator at home. They were used greatly for months after DH's surgery. And then put away. Now the cane or rollator is used now and again. If something is hurting greatly (like he stepped wrong and twisted ankle), he will use the cane for a week. He finds just that little bit of help makes a big difference.

Last edited:
I have similar issues as your mom. First time we rented a wheelchair. HATED it!!! Every little bump in the surface vibrates through your body causing jarring discomfit. Hitting larger ruts like the trolly tracks at MK almost sent me flying out of the chair. In addition, it's exhausting for the person pushing you. The next trip I insisted on renting a motorized scooter. What a god-send! I got back my independence, comfit and felt more secure. I could scoot about and not have to stayed anchored to family. Please consider an ECV for your mom. It soooo worth the cost.

I TOTALLY agree with Linda Goudailler - The one and ONLY time I used a wheelchair was an absolute nightmare! (My back, hips and tail bone hurt so bad from the wheelchair that I lost two days in the parks because I couldn't sit anymore because of the pain.) I will only use a scooter from now on - so much more comfortable and easier for the people I'm with. If, however, you still decide to use a wheelchair, here are my suggestions:

The folding cane is a great idea. I've tried many, many folding canes and the one I've found that is the best - BY FAR - is called Switch Sticks. Many times a folding cane is unable to hold as much weight as a standard cane but my Switch Stick handles the weight just fine.

A cover is a MUST. Make sure the beach towel (or whatever you use), is large enough to cover the back as well as the seat. (Those things get HOT!)

Make sure your mother gets up and walks often - even just a few feet - Her butt will become extremely sore and this will help quite a bit.

I love the idea for you to get some gloves. I never thought of that and when my poor hubby and 2 teenage sons spent the entire day pushing me in that wheelchair, they all got horrible blisters.

Get yourself in shape before you go. Lift weights and do TONS of walking. It is very difficult pushing an adult all day long in a wheelchair. Take breaks if YOU need to!

Most important of all: HAVE FUN!!!

Last edited:
Again, you folks truly rock! You are a brain trust like no other!

✅ gloves for me (never would have thought about these)
✅ gel seat cushion (ditto on this)
✅ Opolar neck fans for both of us
✅ ponchos for us, the chair, and my backpack (and rubber bands)
✅ towel
✅ foldable cane (mom has a couple, and even had one before they were a "thing")
✅ on foot rest safety, bus protocol, trolley track avoidance, invisibility, & other safety protocols

A lot of people have advised an electric scooter over a wheelchair, and mom and I discussed it again, but she is much more comfortable with the idea of a wheelchair. She said she would hate to plow into a crowd of small children, elderly folk, and/or nuns. I mostly concur.

Thanks again - just one more week to go!

but she is much more comfortable with the idea of a wheelchair.
She may end up more comfortable with the idea of a wheelchair than she is sitting in one all day. Does the wheelchair have a sprung suspension or seat? Most don't. The equivalent of riding in an old Radio Flyer wagon.

And you will feel it as well. It's not just your hands that take punishment.

I get the concern over driving an ecv, perhaps get her to take a few laps at the grocery store when it's not busy to see if she takes to it. The reality is that the risk of her injuring crowds of children and nuns with an ecv is pretty small, while the chance of one or both of you being incredibly sore after using a standard wheelchair is very high.

She may end up more comfortable with the idea of a wheelchair than she is sitting in one all day. Does the wheelchair have a sprung suspension or seat? Most don't. The equivalent of riding in an old Radio Flyer wagon.

And you will feel it as well. It's not just your hands that take punishment.

I get the concern over driving an ecv, perhaps get her to take a few laps at the grocery store when it's not busy to see if she takes to it. The reality is that the risk of her injuring crowds of children and nuns with an ecv is pretty small, while the chance of one or both of you being incredibly sore after using a standard wheelchair is very high.

Playing devil's advocate here.

Don't discount your mom's discomfort around using an ECV, even though using a wheelchair will be more tiring for you both. Accidents with ECVs do happen. Last September DW was in a wheelchair waiting for the afternoon parade at MK. We were in the hc area. A woman in an ecv attempted to park behind her (there was lots of room) and in the process rammed into my wife's chair at full speed, knocking her out of the chair and into the pavement. Not a good thing for someone with back issues. I was actually a ways behind DW and next to the family with the ecv. Overhearing their conversations afterward, it turns out that this was the third time that day she had hit someone with the scooter. Family had insisted she use the scooter so they didn't have to push her, even though there were 3 adults and two teens in the party.

The woman was beside herself - the family, not so much.

Again, just cautioning to take your mom's concerns as valid and important. Physical soreness may be much better for y'all's enjoyment of the trip than the mental stress she might feel with an ecv.

Sounds like you've been discussing it openly already. Use your best judgement.

Have a great trip!

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter