Wheelchairs on Tom Sawyer Island

kidangel

Mouseketeer
One of our party uses a manual wheelchair at WDW because of mobility issues. Can anyone offer any insight as to how "wheelchair-friendly" TSI is? We were there years ago, and were caught off guard by the fact that strollers couldn't go across to the island, but it's been about 8 years since then, and I'm having a hard time remembering what the terrain was like, etc.

We'd like to include TSI on our itinerary for our next trip, since it was a nice respite in the middle of the day. He can leave the chair parked and walk to enjoy the island if necessary, but it's good to be prepared for that ahead of time.

Any thoughts?

In my opinion TSI is not wheel-chair friendly. There are many inclines, bouncing bridges, tight curvy trails and caves. We went there after my son (who used a wheel-chair) died. I am glad we never went there before becuase he wouldn't have even gotten off the platform. It was o.k. to try it out as something new, but I wouldn't go there again unless I had lots and lots of time to spare.

We haven't been there in a long time either. It was not very wheelchair friendly, even for (at that time) my DD's narrow child's wheelchair.
Here's what it says in the official WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities:
Tom Sawyer Island

Venture across the Rivers of America and dock at Tom's Landing to embark on your mischievous, playful adventure. There are mysterious caves, swinging suspension bridges, rugged trails and a whole isle of smiles to discover.

Guests must transfer from motorized scooter or ECV to an available wheelchair to experience the raft ride.
Guests must be ambulatory to experience the island.

Very good. We'll report back on these boards March 21st, under the same title "Wheelchairs on Tom Sawyer Island".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter