Wheelchair vs. ECV and rent daily vs. length of stay?

Angeliki19

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I am trying to talk my dad into joining my family on my 40th birthday trip this spring, but since the last time he came to Disney in 2016, his health has become an issue. He does not have an official diagnosis yet, as his neurologists are "stumped", but he appears to have some sort of degenerative neurological disorder. It affects his mobility.. his balance and stability are really the issue so he moves very slowly. Obviously not ideal for Disney!

He does not really care for rides that much anyway, and most of the enjoyment he gets out of coming is watching his grandchildren. I think he would be ok to come tag along in the parks for a few hours, sit with us for a meal, but also spend time back at the resort.

Would you recommend in this situation a wheelchair or an ECV? I was initially thinking a wheelchair because the ECV's seem so big and difficult to maneuver. But after reading some posts on here, i am also worried that it will be difficult for us to push him around all day and he might enjoy being independent? Also we can just pick one up each day at the park right? I know I have seen them on the bus, but are those ones people have rented outside of Disney or own privately?

Lastly if anyone has any other tips, I would greatly appreciate it! I am going to request rooms near the elevator. But besides that I can't really think of anything else as I don't think we would need/qualify for a disability pass.

Thank you so much!

Does he drive? Can be drive? Operating an ECV requires being very alert to your surroundings and can be mentally stressful, even exhausting. While pushing a wheelchair can be physically stressful on the pushers, with multiple travelers you can switch off. You won't be constantly moving.

Rent offsite.

No, you're right. He probably wouldn't be eligible for a DAS.

Does he drive? Can be drive? Operating an ECV requires being very alert to your surroundings and can be mentally stressful, even exhausting. While pushing a wheelchair can be physically stressful on the pushers, with multiple travelers you can switch off. You won't be constantly moving.

Rent offsite.

No, you're right. He probably wouldn't be eligible for a DAS.

Thanks for the reply. He does drive himself around town, but we definitely don't let him drive long distances. I was worried that maybe the ECV would be too much. I feel so bad for him... :( It's hard.

As far as renting offsite, is it like renting a stroller? Do they deliver it to the hotel? Thanks again!

Both wheelchair and ECV has there pulse and minus an ECV he can go on his own do his own thing ( even go back to the hotel for a rest if he needs it. You have to watch out all the time for people walking infront if you

A wheelchair he will need someone else to push him and he will not be able to do it him self. But he will not need to always be watching for people walking infront of him ( the person pushing will )

Now for on site off site there are two night things about off site. One much cheeped two you have it with you all the time.

It sounds like he doesn't use a mobility device at home. He may appreciate the fact that with a wheelchair HE can walk and push it some, and it has the added benefit of providing stability for his balance (like a walker would). Then he can sit and be pushed when he's tired or feeling unsteady, or just needs a seat for a bit.

Check out the post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread for some off-site vendors. That will be less expensive, plus will provide the use of the chair to/from the parks/resorts -- after a day in the park he may appreciate a "ride" back to his room. Some vendors will drop-off at Bell Services while others will arrange to meet you personally.

Enjoy your vacation!

The wheelchair is easier on him. He can enjoy seeing the grandkids and not worry about running into people. He can use the wheelchair as a walker if he feels like he is tired of sitting all day.

As far as spending time at resort. Do you mean he would be left there or he alone would go back to room? I'd be concerned with balance problems getting on and off buses by himself.

I'd rent a wheelchair off site. It's so nice to have it while waiting for buses.

Great, thank you all so much. I definitely think a wheelchair is the way to go.
I agree. I was Exhausted after driving an ECV and could not enjoy my surroundings at all. Plus the fact that he could walk and push the wheelchair some is huge.

We had this debate recently and went with a light weight wheel chair that we could fold for the disney buses and uber trunks. My husband pushed me part of the time, I pushed the empty wheel chair some of the time to stretch my leg muscles and give him a break. I think the EVC would have stressed me out in the crowds and ride lines.

Personally I would prefer an ECV for the independence.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts