• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheelchair or ECV to get to gates at MCO

paras4ri

Wishing upon a star........
I had originally posted this question on the Transportation board and then realized it might be better asked here.

I'll be traveling with my IL's next month and we're taking Southwest from Orlando. My FIL uses a walker and I'm researching options for getting out to the boarding gate. A Southwest rep told me I could get a wheelchair from a skycap but I'd really like to get an ECV for him if possible. We're taking only carry-on luggage and I don't think I can manuever that along with pushing a wheelchair.

Any advice is welcome!

You can get a wheelchair at MCO and a skycap will accompany you and push the wheelchair. I usually tip him at least $5 for this. ECV not available as far as I know.

I've never seen ecvs at any airports. But, like Lisa mentioned, skycaps are available to push a wheelchair.

All major airports have wheelchairs. The airline will arrange for one when you check in at the counter. They will get a Skycap who will handle the pushing, all the way from the check-in counter to the gate. As Lisa said, it is normal to tip about $5.00 for the service.

Note that your group will be able to "preboard", which on Southwest is critical; you will be able to get into seats and settled before the mad rush.

When you are on the aircraft (once in flight) ask one of the stewardesses to request the pilot call ahead so there will be a wheelchair waiting when you arrive. If they are unable to, ask one of the podium staff on arrival. Again a Skycap will come and get your group to baggage claim.

Thanks so much everyone. One more question please. I hadn't planning to check in at the counter since we're not checking luggage. Can I make the skycap arrangements at curbside?

I'm not sure if the curbside check in people have the ability to call for a wheelchair or not. You could try calling your airline (or go on their website) and ask.
Also, about preboarding, we've nver traveled Southwest since they don't fly out of Minneapolis, but one thing we have noticed in the last few years about airlines in general is that they do not always automatically announce preboarding for people with wheelchair like they used to. I remember reading a newspaper article about it. It seems some people with wheelchairs didn't like to feel that they were being singled out, so some airlines stopped announcing it. Some only announce it if they are asked ahead of time and some airlines just come and let you know when to board instead of making an announcement. On one flight, we didn't ask the gate agent and when they called for preboarding of people flying with children, we went up. The gate agent said she didn't think we wanted to preboard since we hadn't specifically asked about it. So, make sure to tell the gate agent that you need to pre-board.

Thanks for the helpful info...especially the suggestion on pre-boarding. I think I remember the agent at Southwest telling me I can get a skycap at curbside, but I'll be sure to confirm that in advance.

Most airports have golf carts that are driven by airport employees that will take a family of 4 to the gate if you don't have your own wheelchair and have mobility issues. (Before I had kids in wheelchairs I broke my knee on a snowmobile the day before I had a flight)

Las visit to WDW, my electric wheelchair broke down and couldn't be repaired before I returned.

I phoned my airline in advance to explain my problem & they advised arriving earlier than normal. When dropping me off, the Mears driver (Mears Wheelchair Van) called a skycap who in turn brought out a manual chair. Unfortunately I couldn't make a sliding transfer into it, as the MCO chairs don't have removeable arm-rests (they get stolen when parked apparently, so are now welded in place!).

The skycap took our luggage to the check in desk, then returned without his truck for me. He ended up pushing me (200 lbs) sitting in my powerchair (another 250 lbs) through security, on & off the shuttle train, then all the way to the gate with my carry-on on my lap and my wife's slung over his shoulder.

My powerchair, even when empty and in free-wheel mode is very hard to push.

He was a hero. I tipped him more than $5!!!

Andrew

My powerchair, even when empty and in free-wheel mode is very hard to push.

He was a hero. I tipped him more than $5!!!
He was a hero. My DD's power chair (according to the book) is 250 plus pound without the batteries. I have a very hard time pushing it even when empty. That guy was a hero!

Almost most airports do have the golf cart like trams that Michigan mentioned, some do not. I know my FIL and MIL were promised one at an airport for a flight transfer (arranged thru the airline). When they got there, the gate agent said that airport did not have anything other than wheelchairs because the hallways of the terminal were narrow. I don't recall ever seeing any trams on our trips thru the Orlando airport (although that doesn't mean they don't have any there). Your best bet if you need one of the trams might be to contact the airline and the airport.

MCO offers only wheelchairs, which is no problem. I confirmed with Southwest that one of their skycaps will bring a wheelchair right to the curb and take my FIL all the way to the departure gate. :D They did suggest we arrive early because it may take a short time to get the chair out to the car.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter