Wheelchair/Handicapped Accessible Room Locations and Measurements

Hi, mamabunny. Thank you for the great photo and measurements. I need to figure out how to put measurements and arrows and text on photos like that.

Hi, mamabunny. Thank you for the great photo and measurements. I need to figure out how to put measurements and arrows and text on photos like that.

Hi Ray!

I used a program on my MacBook Pro called "Skitch" and it's free. It's great for marking up photos (as you can see!)

I believe they have released a version for Windows - you might want to try it! :)

I am planning on bringing my mother to POP in December and have requested a handicapped room. She is in a wheelchair and also a diabetic. Did the handicapped accessible room come w/ the fridge or did you have to request it?

I've stayed in the 50's and 70's building and would like the :hippie: 60's building this time.

Thanks
Disney installed refrigerators in all rooms quite a while ago, so you will have one. If you don’t see it, try the furniture- they are dorm sized refrigerators and may be ‘disguised’ as furniture.

Have fun and hope you get the location you want.

Hello :wave:

I may need an ECV with our January trip. I looked but couldn't find anything regarding my question: Is an ASMo refurbished room have room for an ECV? A non-handicapped room.

I saw the POP post but I think the POP rooms are a smidge bigger.

I think they are the same 260 square feet. You should be able to fit it by the window. Also to add, the Movies Reno is apparently on hold with maybe half the rooms done, so you may get an “old” room.

Enjoy your vacation!

I'm wondering if anyone has any more information about wheelchair accessible rooms at AKL (Jambo), specifically where the savanna view rooms are located. MIL will be recovering from hip surgery; she might need a wheelchair or possibly just a walker. If she refuses to use the wheelchair and insists on the walker, close to the lobby would be the most important consideration. I have searched the internet for a list of accessible rooms at AKL and not found anything,

I'm wondering if anyone has any more information about wheelchair accessible rooms at AKL (Jambo), specifically where the savanna view rooms are located. MIL will be recovering from hip surgery; she might need a wheelchair or possibly just a walker. If she refuses to use the wheelchair and insists on the walker, close to the lobby would be the most important consideration. I have searched the internet for a list of accessible rooms at AKL and not found anything,

AmyAnne, it would help to know specifically what room category she will be staying in, whether a studio, 1 BR, 2 BR, or whatever, in addition to the savanna view location. My best resource for scouting out HA room locations has been TouringPlans.com; you can get a yearly subscription for a minimal fee (I think it was around $10 or so?) There is a hotel map link that will let you select all the parameters you are looking for. It's been really handy for us. If you don't want to do the subscription I may be able to look it up for you. Here is a link to the page for the Florida standard HA room tab, but you may want to search the other HA categories as well. (But you may not be able to get into it without subscribing.)
https://touringplans.com/hotel_maps..._distance]=any&filters[ug]=&filters[view]=any

AmyAnne, it would help to know specifically what room category she will be staying in, whether a studio, 1 BR, 2 BR, or whatever, in addition to the savanna view location. My best resource for scouting out HA room locations has been TouringPlans.com; you can get a yearly subscription for a minimal fee (I think it was around $10 or so?) There is a hotel map link that will let you select all the parameters you are looking for. It's been really handy for us. If you don't want to do the subscription I may be able to look it up for you. Here is a link to the page for the Florida standard HA room tab, but you may want to search the other HA categories as well. (But you may not be able to get into it without subscribing.)
https://touringplans.com/hotel_maps/disneys-animal-kingdom-lodge?commit=Show+Matching+Rooms+»&filters[accessibility]=Florida+ADA+Compliant&filters[balcony]=&filters[floors]=any&filters[lobby_distance]=any&filters[rack_rate]=any&filters[rate_date]=12/14/2018&filters[sound]=any&filters[transportation_distance]=any&filters[ug]=&filters[view]=any

Thanks for the reply. I actually do have a subscription to touring plans but when I used that search function that you linked to, I only come up with about 10 rooms (2-3 for each of the accessibility options, leaving all of the other search criteria open). I have read that AKL has about 65 handicapped accessible rooms, so I'm just wondering where the rest of the rooms are . . .

Also, the room is just a regular Jambo House room (not a DVC room). She's flexible on king or queen beds.

ETA: I wonder if the touring plans site is being glitchy because I'm using my Mac. I just did a search for roll-in showers and the search results say 17 rooms found but it is only showing me two, which I assume are the "touring plan picks" even thought I have that box unchecked. I'll try on Chrome when I get home.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I actually do have a subscription to touring plans but when I used that search function that you linked to, I only come up with about 10 rooms (2-3 for each of the accessibility options, leaving all of the other search criteria open). I have read that AKL has about 65 handicapped accessible rooms, so I'm just wondering where the rest of the rooms are . . .

Also, the room is just a regular Jambo House room (not a DVC room). She's flexible on king or queen beds.

ETA: I wonder if the touring plans site is being glitchy because I'm using my Mac. I just did a search for roll-in showers and the search results say 17 rooms found but it is only showing me two, which I assume are the "touring plan picks" even thought I have that box unchecked. I'll try on Chrome when I get home.

Nah, it's not your Mac :) I use a MacBook Pro exclusively - Touring Plans makes a *heroic* effort to keep those maps updated, but what (our family) has often found is that maybe Disney has changed something about the room listing - so a room that was previously (for example) "Garden View" is now listed as "Nature View" or some other similar change. They haven't moved the room - just changed the category that it shows up in. Then, sites like Touring Plans have to try and get those listings all updated, and I think from time to time, some of them fall through the cracks, despite their best efforts.

A great example is Wilderness Lodge - there are 2 roll-in shower rooms on the first floor of the North Wing that (if there were no trees or cabins, etc. obscuring the view) face towards CR and MK. Originally classified as "Woods View", the rooms along that side of the Lodge were known by many on the DIS as the "Otter Pond" rooms. (The pond is gone, a victim of what we will euphemistically call "progress") Those 2 rooms are (currently) provisioned as "1 queen bed, 1 bunk bed, roll in shower Nature View". However, at various times over the last 2 years, they have been classified as "Woods View", "Standard View" (during construction), and for a brief amount of time had no "view" classification assigned to them in the reservation system at all! Needless to say, if Touring Plans is trying to keep up with Disney on those rooms... good luck.

I have the best luck with Touring Plans when I simply search for the *main* accommodation that I require (in my case, a roll-in shower) and then I go from there. Once I have the search narrowed to that parameter, and I can see all rooms with a roll-in shower, then I add only the "2 queen beds" that is our other pre-requisite, and typically the results are fairly accurate.

Nah, it's not your Mac :) I use a MacBook Pro exclusively - Touring Plans makes a *heroic* effort to keep those maps updated, but what (our family) has often found is that maybe Disney has changed something about the room listing - so a room that was previously (for example) "Garden View" is now listed as "Nature View" or some other similar change. They haven't moved the room - just changed the category that it shows up in. Then, sites like Touring Plans have to try and get those listings all updated, and I think from time to time, some of them fall through the cracks, despite their best efforts.

A great example is Wilderness Lodge - there are 2 roll-in shower rooms on the first floor of the North Wing that (if there were no trees or cabins, etc. obscuring the view) face towards CR and MK. Originally classified as "Woods View", the rooms along that side of the Lodge were known by many on the DIS as the "Otter Pond" rooms. (The pond is gone, a victim of what we will euphemistically call "progress") Those 2 rooms are (currently) provisioned as "1 queen bed, 1 bunk bed, roll in shower Nature View". However, at various times over the last 2 years, they have been classified as "Woods View", "Standard View" (during construction), and for a brief amount of time had no "view" classification assigned to them in the reservation system at all! Needless to say, if Touring Plans is trying to keep up with Disney on those rooms... good luck.

I have the best luck with Touring Plans when I simply search for the *main* accommodation that I require (in my case, a roll-in shower) and then I go from there. Once I have the search narrowed to that parameter, and I can see all rooms with a roll-in shower, then I add only the "2 queen beds" that is our other pre-requisite, and typically the results are fairly accurate.

Thanks! It turns out that I wasn't clicking on the buildings to see the rest of the results (no, tech is not my forte). I'm sure it must be a never-ending job to try to keep up with all of the rooms at all of the resorts, although I suspect that structural things like roll-in showers are more constant (and therefore more reliable) than bed choices.

Thank you MamaBunny for this information...we have an upcoming stay in a Garden View Handicapped Accessible room with roll in shower so these pictures are great for me to show my Mom...I was wondering if the rooms still have the table and chairs in them...I could not tell from your photos. Thanks in advance.

Thank you MamaBunny for this information...we have an upcoming stay in a Garden View Handicapped Accessible room with roll in shower so these pictures are great for me to show my Mom...I was wondering if the rooms still have the table and chairs in them...I could not tell from your photos. Thanks in advance.

Yes - in September of this year, there was still one square table, and 2 chairs (with arms) in the room. We did not feel the need to have them removed, as we found there was more than enough space if we pushed the chairs under the table, and "squished" them over to one side.

If you find you need that extra space, stop by the front desk (don't call from the room phone - it goes to an offsite call center) and ask the front desk to have engineering remove the table and chairs to make extra space for the ECV. :)

Yes - in September of this year, there was still one square table, and 2 chairs (with arms) in the room. We did not feel the need to have them removed, as we found there was more than enough space if we pushed the chairs under the table, and "squished" them over to one side.

If you find you need that extra space, stop by the front desk (don't call from the room phone - it goes to an offsite call center) and ask the front desk to have engineering remove the table and chairs to make extra space for the ECV. :)

thanks...we prefer to have the table and chairs in the room....we last stayed at Pop Century and the table disappears when you pull down the murphy bed...My Mom uses a walker/rollator but the room layout with the roll in shower is easier with my Mom's mobility issues than trying to step into a tub.

Is it easy to get a wheelchair accessible room at OKW or AKL?

I think that you will find that doing very busy seasons like holidays or when children are out of school or special park events it might be more difficult.

The earlier you make a reservation the better.

I don't know if you are a Disney Vacation Club member, but I own a few points and I tried to make reservations 11-months out when we are allowed to make them.

This year and every day after I am still trying to get a reservation for just a handicap roll-in shower with no luck. Boardwalk Villas are very popular in the busy season.

Which brings up another subject. There are different types of handicap resort rooms. Some with roll-in showers and lower beds and some with a lower entry bathtub with handrails to help get in and out and some for hearing needs.

I am sure others will come in later and help you with more information.

You might want to let them know if they need a room with a roll-in shower or a resort room, DVC studio, 1 or 2-bedroom villas at AKL and OKW.

OKW does not have hotel room like AKL-Jambo resort.

In my recent searches, I found that there was more availability at OKW, but I can't make a reservation until 7-months out.

I think that you will find that doing very busy seasons like holidays or when children are out of school or special park events it might be more difficult.

The earlier you make a reservation the better.

I don't know if you are a Disney Vacation Club member, but I own a few points and I tried to make reservations 11-months out when we are allowed to make them.

This year and every day after I am still trying to get a reservation for just a handicap roll-in shower with no luck. Boardwalk Villas are very popular in the busy season.

Which brings up another subject. There are different types of handicap resort rooms. Some with roll-in showers and lower beds and some with a lower entry bathtub with handrails to help get in and out and some for hearing needs.

I am sure others will come in later and help you with more information.

You might want to let them know if they need a room with a roll-in shower or a resort room, DVC studio, 1 or 2-bedroom villas at AKL and OKW.

OKW does not have hotel room like AKL-Jambo resort.

In my recent searches, I found that there was more availability at OKW, but I can't make a reservation until 7-months out.

Thanks so much for the info!!

I have been looking for a Disney Pop Century Resort Roll-in Shower Room for one day in December 2019.

I just found it was interesting that there are so many room types at this resort.

I always look for a Standard Room with a Roll-In Shower that has a queen bed and Murphy queen bed/Table. And it has the roll-in shower with lower beds. They also have choices of Preferred, Pool, etc. types. I believe all of these rooms also have the flush front entrance doors to the front windows whereas all of the other rooms have a recessed alcove door.

I noticed the Florida special accessible rooms have a step-in shower with shower doors and hand grips in the shower and beside the toilet.

And I have never been in any of the other hearing accessible rooms.

One time I had to use a Standard Room with a regular bathtub, high bed, etc. They offered me a nice step stool with hand height handle which was easy to use when trying to get into bed and to get out of bed.

Maybe others can comment there experiences with the type of bathtub, the type of step-in shower or roll-in shower they have used. And if the bed was high or low, if handrails were available in for the toilet, bathtub, step-in shower, or roll-in shower, if there was just a king bed or queen beds (Murphy bed/table), and if the doorway entrance had the normal alcove or flush with the front window.

All Handicap/Accessible Rooms whether Standard, Preferred, Pool, Hearing, Roll-in, Floridian Step-in Shower, Bathtub with handrails and others.

It almost makes my head spin.

I just thought that it was interesting all of the choices for so many guests even though during the busy season, like in December for me, there might not be available at 11-months out.

Preferred Room. Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower and option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower and option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Views of Courtyard or Landscaping
Close to Classic Hall, Dining, Shopping and Transportation
1 Queen Bed and 1 Queen-Size Table Bed
Sleeps up to 4 Adults

Preferred Room. Hearing accessible - visual alarms and notifications. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Hearing accessible - visual alarms and notifications. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table. -
Sleeps up to 4 Adults

Preferred Room. Hearing accessible - visual alarms and notifications. 1 king bed.
Hearing accessible - visual alarms and notifications. 1 king bed.
1 King Bed
Sleeps up to 2 Adults

Preferred Room. Florida special accessible room with option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Florida special accessible room with option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table. -
Sleeps up to 4 Adults

Preferred Room. Wheelchair accessible with tub and option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Wheelchair accessible with tub and option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Sleeps up to 4 Adults

Preferred Pool View. Hearing accessible - visual alarms and notifications. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Hearing accessible - visual alarms and notifications. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table. -
Views of Hippy Dippy Pool
Sleeps up to 4 Adults

Preferred Pool View. Wheelchair accessible with tub and option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Wheelchair accessible with tub and option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Sleeps up to 4 Adults

Preferred Pool View. Florida special accessible room with option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Florida special accessible room with option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Sleeps up to 4 Adults

Standard Pool View. Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower and option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower and option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Views of Bowling Pool or Computer Pool
1 Queen-Size Table Bed and 1 Queen Bed
Sleeps up to 4 Adults

Standard Pool View. Florida special accessible room with option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Florida special accessible room with option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Sleeps up to 4 Adults

Standard Room. Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower and option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Views of the Resort Hotel or Parking Areas
Sleeps up to 4 Adults

Standard Room. Hearing accessible - visual alarms and notifications. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Hearing accessible - visual alarms and notifications. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Sleeps up to 4 Adults

Preferred Pool View. Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower and option for hearing accessibility. 1 king bed.
Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower and option for hearing accessibility. 1 king bed.
1 King Bed
Sleeps up to 2 Adults

Standard Room. Florida special accessible room with option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Sleeps up to 4 Adults

Preferred Room. Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower and option for hearing accessibility. 1 king bed.
Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower and option for hearing accessibility. 1 king bed.
1 King Bed

Standard Pool View. Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower and option for hearing accessibility. 1 king bed.
1 King Bed
Sleeps up to 2 Adults

Standard Room. Florida special accessible room with option for hearing accessibility. 1 king bed.
Florida special accessible room with option for hearing accessibility. 1 king bed.
1 King Bed
Sleeps up to 2 Adults

Standard Room. Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower and option for hearing accessibility. 1 king bed.
1 King Bed
Sleeps up to 2 Adults

Standard Pool View. Hearing accessible - visual alarms and notifications. 1 king bed.
Hearing accessible - visual alarms and notifications. 1 king bed.
1 King Bed
Sleeps up to 2 Adults

Preferred Pool View. Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower and option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Sleeps up to 4 Adults

Standard Room. Hearing accessible - visual alarms and notifications. 1 king bed.
VHearing accessible - visual alarms and notifications. 1 king bed.
1 King Bed
Sleeps up to 2 Adults

Standard Room. Wheelchair accessible with tub and option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Views of the Resort Hotel or Parking Area
Sleeps up to 4 Adults

Standard Pool View. Hearing accessible - visual alarms and notifications. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Hearing accessible - visual alarms and notifications. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Sleeps up to 4 Adults

Standard Pool View. Wheelchair accessible with tub and option for hearing accessibility. 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper table.
Sleeps up to 4 Adults

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!