Wheelchair/Handicapped Accessible Room Locations and Measurements

Thank you, fortunately I was able to switch rooms to one with a roll in. Costs a lot more, but it is what we need. Even with a board my aunt would not be able to get her leg over the edge. She can use her shower walker while in the shower though,

I will rent one of the toilet riser seats as well, thank you for the information on that.
I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer!

Thank you, fortunately I was able to switch rooms to one with a roll in. Costs a lot more, but it is what we need. Even with a board my aunt would not be able to get her leg over the edge. She can use her shower walker while in the shower though,

I will rent one of the toilet riser seats as well, thank you for the information on that.
I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer!

No need to rent a toilet riser - the roll-in-shower rooms have a 20" high toilet for transfer purposes.

Room 1048 in Boardwalk Villas (DVC side) north building is wheelchair accessible and has a roll-in shower. It is on the first floor near the underpass to cross from the Luna Park pool to the Village Green. The view is towards the pool. It had one queen bed, a queen sofa/sleeper and a single pull down sleeper. I didn't take photos or measurements on that stay; I will do so in the future.

Just back from a visit to WDW. First time staying at the Gran Destino Tower at the Coronado Springs resort. We were unable to book an accessible room but was staying club level so reached out to Signature services and they said they would make a note of the need and reassured us that a toilet riser and transfer bench if necessary.

By 10AM on the day of our arrival we received the notification of being assigned Room 933. It had a roll-in shower. I failed to take any pictures but will do my best to describe the room.

The room is designated "club level" but is not on the same floor as the club. The tower has a number of club level rooms that are not on the club floor. However, Room 933 was located just off of the elevator bank and the elevators are the new smart ones that you touch a screen to indicate the floor you want and it tells you which elevator (A-F) to get on. We never had any problem accessing the club or having a too crowded elevator. A small downside was in the room you could hear the elevator ping every time a door opened. It did not bother me at all and became unnoticed background noise but my niece had trouble blocking it out.

The room does not have an accessible entry button. Despite having club level rooms, the resort is a moderate. The accessible entry door buttons rooms I have encountered in WDW have all been in deluxe level resorts.

The bathroom was large with a double sink in the roll-up vanity. On the vanity was an assortment of H2O Sea Salt products (shower cap, hand lotion, mouth wash, after sun care gel and bar soap). The toilet seat was the 20" tall one and had proper ADA compliant grab bars.

The shower seat was a sturdy mesh bench. The shower had a regular height rain forest shower head and an adjustable, hand-held shower head with a long flexible hose. The shower had the wall mounted large dispenser of the H2O products, gel soap, conditioner and shampoo.

The room had two queen beds. The beds were lower to the ground so not able to stow suitcases underneath but good for wheelchair transfers. The curtain pull rods were longer and had a large plastic circle on the bottom end that made them easy to open and close while seated in a wheelchair.

Two nice touches. First, was a moveable bench that we relocated to the wide entry hallway by the door leaving a niche perfect for backing my chair into at night for recharging. Second was a and conveniently located outlet on the long cabinet that housed the beverage cooler and a desk area and dresser drawers. The outlet was ion the top back of the cabinet right next to the spot I put the chair. It was easy to reach, i.e., not hidden behind a piece of heavy furniture.

The desk spot had a small, armless chair and their was a small lounge chair in the corner. That chair swiveled and I thought it was too low for me to get back out of so I never sat in it.

A word about the buses. The Coronado Springs resort is large and spread out. The only way to the parks is by bus. There are four bus stops to cover the resort. The Gran Destino tower is designated bus stop number 1, however, don't be fooled, the tower stop is the last to be picked up and the last to be dropped off. There is always the chance when the bus pulls up the two accessible spots will already be taken and you will be left behind. Because we were not trying to do rope drop or stay to park close, it was never an issue.

However, one morning when we arrived at the bus stop their was a ECV waiting that said they had just been left behind. The driver said he would call it in and while they were saying that, a totally empty bus pulled up and picked us both up. Additionally, the one night we left the Magic Kingdom after the fireworks but well before park close, there were already two EVCs lined up when the bus pulled up. But a second bus pulled up before those ECVs were even fully loaded and that bus driver hopped out, came over to us and reassured me that he was going to pull up and load me first as soon as the other bus pulled away.

I have a trip planned in a couple of weeks and planned to stay at CSR - standard room not the tower. My knees are way worse than they've ever been - I'll be renting an ECV as usual. In the room I'd REALLY like a walk in shower so I don't have to step over the side of the tub. A raised toilet seat would be amazing. What would not be great is a lowered bed because I have a great deal of trouble standing from a low seated position and I'm tall.

I looked at the available rooms and every type seems to be available. I'm concerned about a lowered bed if I get a bath with a roll in (I don't need to have that - I just want a walk in style shower). Does CSR have walk in showers in standard rooms and would I be likely to get one? Otherwise what should I book? I could move resorts if another resort has a better option for me. DS got into the Disney College Program and we're moving him down and staying few nights on property. Very excited but I can barely walk around the house at the moment. Ugh!

I just want a walk in style shower
My understanding is that most of the tower rooms have a walk in shower. In the other buildings some of the rooms have a walk in shower and some have the tub shower combination.

When you make your reservation have a note added that you want a room with a shower not a tub. When you get to the resort, stop at the front desk and verify the type of bathroom the room you were assigned has and if it is not the correct one, the cast member at the desk will work very hard to get you into the needed type room.

And if you find the standard toilet is too low, just contact housekeeping and they will bring you a toilet riser to make it taller.

Only the rooms with a roll-in shower or mobility tub will have a lower bed. All the other rooms have the taller, store the luggage under the bed type beds.

My understanding is that most of the tower rooms have a walk in shower. In the other buildings some of the rooms have a walk in shower and some have the tub shower combination.

When you make your reservation have a note added that you want a room with a shower not a tub. When you get to the resort, stop at the front desk and verify the type of bathroom the room you were assigned has and if it is not the correct one, the cast member at the desk will work very hard to get you into the needed type room.

And if you find the standard toilet is too low, just contact housekeeping and they will bring you a toilet riser to make it taller.

Only the rooms with a roll-in shower or mobility tub will have a lower bed. All the other rooms have the taller, store the luggage under the bed type beds.
Thanks for the info! I am traveling in 2 weeks and I there seems to be a good deal of availability in the non-tower rooms so I think I'll hope they can give me a room with a walk in shower and the toilet riser - this will work. I'll call and note it on my reservation.

We just got back from Old Key West on Saturday, May 5.
We stayed in room 1913, which is a dedicated 2 bedroom unit in the Miller Road area next to the Miller Road swimming pool.

OKW 2 bedroom units have an open concept living/dining/kitchen.
The living room has a large TV and 2 sofas, including one that folds out to a Queen sleeper and a chair that pulls out to a twin bed. The dining room has a large table with 4 chairs. The kitchen includes a stove, microwave, dishwasher, full size refrigerator/freezer with ice maker.
There is also a laundry room, a main bedroom with King bed, a 2 compartment main bathroom with sink & whirlpool tub and a second bathroom part with sink, toilet and shower (in this unit, a tub with grab bars).
The 2nd bedroom has 2 queen beds, a bathroom with combination tub/shower, sink & toilet.

Dedicated 2 bedroom units have one entry into the unit and the 2nd bedroom is connected, but doesn’t have a separate entrance to outside. Lock off 2 bedroom villas have an outside entry door in both areas and a lockable door between the one bedroom and 2nd bedroom so they can be used for reservations as a separate one bedroom and Studio. Lock off Studios include a kitchenette with microwave and under counter refrigerator (no freezer).

1913 was a wheelchair accessible villa with an accessible tub with grab bars in the main bathroom instead of a walk in shower. The kitchen and both areas of the main bathroom have roll under sinks. The main bath had multiple grab bars around the raised toilet and in the bath. Ample space to manouver a wheelchair next to the toilet and tub. The main bedroom, closet and bathroom have sliding doors. The bed was lower (about the same height as a chair).

The 2nd bedroom in this unit was NOT accessible

What would not be great is a lowered bed because I have a great deal of trouble standing from a low seated position and I'm tall.
what height are you thinking of for the bed?
the regular beds at most resorts are quite high - I haven’t measured, but just estimating where they come on me, I’d guess they are 30 to 32 inches from floor ro top of mattress (to have room underneath for suitcase storage).
The mattress height for ADA compliance is 20 to 23 inches from floor to top of mattress, so about the same as raised toilet seat.

what height are you thinking of for the bed?
the regular beds at most resorts are quite high - I haven’t measured, but just estimating where they come on me, I’d guess they are 30 to 32 inches from floor ro top of mattress (to have room underneath for suitcase storage).
The mattress height for ADA compliance is 20 to 23 inches from floor to top of mattress, so about the same as raised toilet seat.
Honestly Sue I don't know - lol! I know I love how high the beds are at the resorts and my bed at home is high. My home bed is 28" from the floor so...you really think the resort beds are 30"? I love it! My counter height kitchen table has chairs that are 24" high so I can stand from that but sometimes it is hard.

I think I'd be good if I can get a walk in shower and a toilet riser. I'd really love a grab bar by the toilet or a counter to have a place to hold on to but I think I can make do. They seem to have a lot of availability for non-tower room types when we are there. Sue - I've had bad knees a long time but never this bad - I struggle to walk from the kitchen to the bedroom and I have a small house. I'm seeing the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow.

@SueM in MN my younger one (with type 1) was accepted into the Disney College program and starts in a couple of weeks - super excited! He will be working Attractions at DHS. If you plan to go between now and January I'll DM you the info on where to find him so you can try to say hello to him! I know you've been with me since he was diagnosed with type 1 when he was 2 years old- hard to believe! I bought an annual pass hoping to go visit him a lot - he's there until January. My HMO has put me off so many times in replacing my knees wanting me to be 60 and it figures the ONE time I really don't want to get them replaced I can barely walk.

What is the width of the entry door to standard Disney rooms compared to accessible rooms?

I'm going to have rent a ECV that has a width of 27". I don't want to get an accessible room, if I don't need to.

I drive a rented (Scooterbug, Gold Mobility) through the door every trip....but I believe they are only 24" wide. My last trip, I was solo so brought along my "door holder" thingy and it was no problem. Just roll up to the door, get off scooter and unlock door, place "thingy" on hinges and drive through.

Of course, I have the ability to get off the scooter - if you don't then someone else needs to hold the door open for you as you drive through.

Here's my "thingy":

https://www.amazon.com/Wedge-WEDGE-Ultimate-Door-Green/dp/B00N4M2UCM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1YGTD6GF6TLPB&keywords=door+wedge&qid=1684588923&s=hi&sprefix=wedge,tools,135&sr=1-2

What is the width of the entry door to standard Disney rooms compared to accessible rooms?

I'm going to have rent a ECV that has a width of 27". I don't want to get an accessible room, if I don't need to.
I could be wrong, but I thought all resort room doors are the same size, the difference for HA rooms is that the door is flush to the hallway without the cut-in. At lest at values and moderates. If you don't need the interior accessible features then you should be fine with a regular resort room even with an ECV.

They are the same size
I could be wrong, but I thought all resort room doors are the same size, the difference for HA rooms is that the door is flush to the hallway without the cut-in. At lest at values and moderates. If you don't need the interior accessible features then you should be fine with a regular resort room even with an ECV.
Yes!
we stay in accessible rooms because of my daughter‘s needs, but have also stayed in ‘regular rooms’
The doors to enter the rooms are all the same size. In Moderates and Value resorts, the door is flush to the hallway in the accessible rooms.
The bathroom doorway in accessible rooms is wider, but that won’t make a difference for someone using an ECV for distances

I've mentioned this before in a few posts in this forum. If your room door has an electric opener, it may be turned off. There is a switch on them but as they are at the top of the door you may not be able to reach the switch. When you open the door from outside it should start to open automatically. When you're in the room and want to exit push the button on the wall. If the door doesn't open automatically have the bellman or someone who can reach the switch check to see if the opener is on.

Can anyone tell me if all the buildings at Sports have king accessible rooms with roll in showers? I know there are preferred buildings (Touchdown and Surfs Up) and standard buildings (all the others), but I wasn't sure if all buildings have the king rooms with the roll in shower or just select buildings.

Can anyone tell me if all the buildings at Sports have king accessible rooms with roll in showers? I know there are preferred buildings (Touchdown and Surfs Up) and standard buildings (all the others), but I wasn't sure if all buildings have the king rooms with the roll in shower or just select buildings.
I believe they do

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!