• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheelchair and Stroller??

princess mom of 4

They call me MomPossible
My current dilemma is this: My DS-14 uses a manual wheelchair usually independently, but at WDW we tend to push it for him. I can't decide whether to also bring a stroller for DD-4. She doesn't usually use a stroller anymore, like for the mall or zoo...but this will be a much longer day for her. I just can't decide if we'll be too much like a wagon train traveling down Main Street, me pushing stroller and DH pushing W/C... anybody else out there pushing multiple things??

My older DD uses either her power wheelchair or her manual wheelchair independently at home. So far, we haven't brought the power wheelchair along to WDW (various reasons, including air travel). She is not capable of pushing her manual wheelchair for much distance, so doesn't use it outside the house. If your son is normally able to manage for school and shopping trips, etc, he should be able to do a lot of his own pushing.
For the 4 year old, a lot depends on her and how you plan on touring. If you are going slow and not planning back to back long days, she may not need a stroller. When we went in March, we had my niece and her 3 year old. The first 4 park days, we didn't have a stroller and the little girl did very well. The end of the 4th day, she said her legs were "all out of walk". My DH took them to Target and bought a stroller, which was used after that. But we didn't really take a day off, so she had back to back long days. On several days, we had DD in her wheelchair, niece's DD in the stroller and my FIL using an ECV. We did feel a bit like a train, but you do what you have to do.
You will see lots of people with 2 or more strollers, so you won't be the only family pushing more than one thing.

thanks for your input - I think I might bring an umbrella type stroller, just in case...We will try not to go commando on this trip, but old habits are hard to break! :cool1: :cool1:

My girls are 7 and 15 both in manual chairs and do all of their own pushing. 7 year old has pushed herself all day around WDW at the age of 3. That doesn't mean that we are flying thru the park but going at an enjoyable pace.

Cindy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter