Wheelchair Accessible - DME or Private Taxi Service?

DisneyWishes14

DIS Veteran
We will be traveling in November with a young man who uses a wheelchair. It looks like, in order to use Magical Express, I need to request a wheelchair accessible bus? Is that correct? Can anyone tell me how this works? Do they dispatch a bus or a Mears accessible van?

Instead of DME, I was also possibly, considering booking a private accessible taxi. I found a few companies online that seem to offer this service, but haven't seen any reviews. Has anyone used Orlando Wheelchair Transportation? Along with getting to and from the airport, we have a reservation at the Swan one evening (we are staying at CR) and I thought perhaps if I pre-booked their service, it might make getting back and forth a little easier. I know there are accessible Minnie Vans, but I'm afraid waiting for one may take quite a long time.

Everyone has to call to set up your DME and flight information. So it's easy to request a lift equipped bus during that call. They will have a Disney/Mears DME bus with a lift at the airport and your resort. Personally I've been very happy with DME and don't see a need for an accessible taxi.

This is copied from the disABILITIES FAQs thread regarding DME.
We use the accessible DME bus every trip.

There are DME -Disney Magical Express - buses available with lifts to lift a wheelchair into the bus. It is recommended that you request a lift bus when making your DME reservations if you will need one.
If you didn't prearrange it for your trip from the airport to your resort, they will still provide one, but your wait may be longer. If you need one when returning to the airport from your resort, it is vital to prearrange getting one. If you don't, you might risk getting to the airport on time. My family usually asks to leave for the resort extra early to allow for any issues - like a wheelchair bus not coming or the equipment not working.

Here is a picture of the DME bus lift in its highest position:
2590PC290222-med.JPG

DME Bus steps
2590PC290219-med.JPG

Someone using a wheelchair or ECV can ride it up the lift and then the wheelchair will be fastened down to the floor of the bus.
A wheelchair or ECV can also be placed underneath the bus in the luggage storage compartment, but the person will need to climb the steps.
People have posted before that they were allowed to stand on the lift and ride it up for boarding because they were unable to climb the steps. This is no longer allowed for safety reasons after 2008, but you may see older posts saying they did this.
Only a person seated in a wheelchair, ECV or other mobility device is allowed on the lift. Manual devices need brakes locked. Power devices must be turned off.
No one may stand on the lift or sit on the floor of the lift platform.

If you have mobility problems or other disability, but can climb the stairs, the first row of seats is reserved for guests with disabilities.

If you feel you can't climb the steps, let the CM know when you are making your reservations for DME and again when you check in. They will need to come up with some alternative for you.
I have seen people using an airport wheelchair to ride up the lift, get out of the wheelchair to sit in a seat and then borrow a wheelchair at the resort to get out.
On our trips in the last 4 years, I noticed that there were 2 wheelchairs in the under bus storage area. Since we were the first on, the wheelchairs were on before the bus arrived at the stop.

Thank you both so much. When I posted this, I had forgotten they now offer Minnie Van service to and from the airport so we booked an accessible Minnie Van for airport transportation. The family I'm traveling with had a bad experience with DME on their last trip, so are more comfortable trying a private option.

Just to point out -- I don't know how much luggage space the Minnie Vans have, especially if you have 4-6 guests in your party. In the regular Minnie Vans much of the cargo space is taken by unused car seats. The accessible Minnie Van is a different vehicle, but I haven't heard about the cargo space and it may have car seats already taken up space (unless you need to use one or both). I suggest calling to ask about cargo space for luggage so you won't end up jamming bags in your laps/underfoot or someone needing to head to DME.

Enjoy your vacation!

A timely request for an extra early Magical Express ride back to the airport, such as 4 hours instead of the usual 3 hours before flight, is always granted. Trip reports here on The DIS suggest that having to run for your plane, or at least being too late for preboarding, is considered within normal tolerances using the suggested 3 hours before flight time. Add a half hour to help prevent that and also add a half hour for situations peculiar to disabled persons such as finding someone to push a wheelchair after getting off the bus at the airport. Hence 4 hours before a domestic flight. Using a private option you also need to consider allowing extra time for the same reasons.

If you are thinking of all that wasted time at the airport, consider omitting a meal at Disney if within a few hours before you leave your resort, and doing that meal at the airport inside security (small food court there).

If you have a bad experience causing missing your plane while using DME in the proper fashion, it is reasonable that DME make good.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much. After some back and forth with WDW, we discovered the accessible van only seats 4 and we are a party of 6. They will be sending the accessible Minnie Van plus a regular Minnie Van to accommodate us at no extra charge. They are aware of how much luggage we have. I may change our resort pick up time from 3 to 3 1/2 or 4 hours just to allow for any security delays. We will also use RAC for our luggage upon departure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter