What's your best advice for Resale?

DVCRSheridan

Disney Ohana
So we've been members for 10 years now (family has been for 20). We just recently paid off our initial SSR contract. 5 years ago we added on at OKW directly through Disney. With our larger SSR contract settled, we're likely to add on again at some point (maybe soon, maybe not), but likely through resale this time given the price per point through Disney now.

So our question is just simply what is your best piece of advice for longtime DVC members, but 1st time resale buyers? We'll likely be specifically looking for a BWV add-on.

Thanks everyone, have a great rest of your summer!

If you use a broker that shares listings, you will have more to pick from.

:earsboy: Bill

So we've been members for 10 years now (family has been for 20). We just recently paid off our initial SSR contract. 5 years ago we added on at OKW directly through Disney. With our larger SSR contract settled, we're likely to add on again at some point (maybe soon, maybe not), but likely through resale this time given the price per point through Disney now.

So our question is just simply what is your best piece of advice for longtime DVC members, but 1st time resale buyers? We'll likely be specifically looking for a BWV add-on.

Thanks everyone, have a great rest of your summer!
My list is to be sure on property makes sense - you've presumably done that with your longevity.
Make sure you're OK with the compromises and planning associated with a timeshare, I get the sense you are already.
Then spend time figure out home resort, UY and best number of points.

My number one suggestion is active investigation for around 6 months to make a rational decision and casually looking for 10 yrs doesn't measure up there. Biggest mistakes are buying too quickly thinking one is getting a discount using points for that next trip, underbuying points due to over thinking it (don't wear out the calculator), overbuying points for family and the like, overbuying resorts (Poly instead of AKV/SSR) and going retail without good reason. There really isn't a good reason as someone new to DVC to buy retail other than the 25 pt add on for perks.

Could you elaborate on that if you don't mind?
Some broker allow collating so sometimes a contract is listed with more than one. And some brokers share listings increasing the exposure effectively giving you more choices either buying or selling.

Could you elaborate on that if you don't mind?

Some brokers will only sell you listings that they received from sellers. Others will sell you theirs and listings from other brokers that they have a relationship with. Using a broker that shares listings, you can have access to many more listings than with a broker who doesn't.

:earsboy: Bill

Use a reputable broker!!! If you find a deal on Ebay, or something like that, that seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Buy where you want to stay. In the long run it's the dues that cost the most, so if you need to spend several hundred more to get where you like, DO IT. Don't make the cheapskate mistake and regret your purchase when you can't switch at 7 months.

My advice would be a little different than a742246's. Decide on how impatient you are to purchase. If you have time, you can wait and see if a good deal comes along. If you want to pull the trigger quickly, don't haggle. Decide what you need from a contract - the more exact your needs (I only want 50 points, I won't pay more than $95 a point, it must have banked points, and must be an April use year), the longer it will take to find your exact match. If you say "I don't care about use year, anything between 50 and 100 points will work, I expect a stripped contract (but if I luck into a loaded one that would be awesome), and I'm flexible on price - I don't care if I don't get the best deal the DisBoards has seen all year - then you'll have your points quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!