What's up with De-theming the Resort Rooms?

DaisyDuck001

DIS Veteran
Lately it seems that every time a resort gets refurbished, the theming of the room becomes very subtle. For example, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, etc. The trend seems to be towards room décor that is rather plain and stark, with little noticeable theming unless you look really hard, and even then there isn't much. I understand that this new type of less-themed room décor has its fans, but I will miss the themed carpets, themed lamps, and a myriad of other themed aspects of the décor that seem to be going away as each resort is redecorated. For me, the themed rooms were the primary incentive to stay on property, and if this trend continues, I may start to stay more in offsite hotels, where the prices are more reasonable for what you get. Why are they toning down the theming of the WDW resort rooms?

^ that's pretty much it. "Clean lines," subtle themes, more neutral colors -- all of those evoke this sense of cleanliness, newness, etc. It's also easier to spot (and clean) any dirt on white or bright surfaces. My guess is that these rooms will feel "fresh" after every housekeeping turnover for longer than the carpeted rooms with heavy drapes. It's easier to maintain in that sense.

It doesn't really lend itself to Disney World immersion, but it does fall in line with modern and "tasteful" hotel decor. As you say, this is what offsite hotels look like anyway. I much prefer the personality and typical Disney theme of rooms, so it is disappointing to see the changes. I understand the motivation behind the move towards this style of hotel room. But it's definitely going to be a big consideration when comparing off-site vs on-site prices once all the rooms/hotel spaces are refurbished and toned down. The "Wow!" factor is slowly turning into "Meh."

Yet for all of us who love the strong personality and themes, there's probably a good amount who welcome the new changes and hated the old look.

^ that's pretty much it. "Clean lines," subtle themes, more neutral colors -- all of those evoke this sense of cleanliness, newness, etc. It's also easier to spot (and clean) any dirt on white or bright surfaces. My guess is that these rooms will feel "fresh" after every housekeeping turnover for longer than the carpeted rooms with heavy drapes. It's easier to maintain in that sense.

It doesn't really lend itself to Disney World immersion, but it does fall in line with modern and "tasteful" hotel decor. As you say, this is what offsite hotels look like anyway. I much prefer the personality and typical Disney theme of rooms, so it is disappointing to see the changes. I understand the motivation behind the move towards this style of hotel room. But it's definitely going to be a big consideration when comparing off-site vs on-site prices once all the rooms/hotel spaces are refurbished and toned down. The "Wow!" factor is slowly turning into "Meh."

Yet for all of us who love the strong personality and themes, there's probably a good amount who welcome the new changes and hated the old look.

Agree with much of this, but will say I don't stay on property for the theme- I do it for the convenience and amenities and those still exist.

I mean, if they stripped down the lobbies I would stay at four seasons rather than AKL but the overall resort themes aren't going anywhere- just the room stuff, and I only sleep in my room.

But it's definitely going to be a big consideration when comparing off-site vs on-site prices once all the rooms/hotel spaces are refurbished and toned down. The "Wow!" factor is slowly turning into "Meh."

Exactly. I'd rather have an $85/night offsite "meh" than a $300/night onsite "meh". For the difference I can rent a car and still come out ahead.

Lately it seems that every time a resort gets refurbished, the theming of the room becomes very subtle. For example, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, etc. The trend seems to be towards room décor that is rather plain and stark, with little noticeable theming unless you look really hard, and even then there isn't much. I understand that this new type of less-themed room décor has its fans, but I will miss the themed carpets, themed lamps, and a myriad of other themed aspects of the décor that seem to be going away as each resort is redecorated. For me, the themed rooms were the primary incentive to stay on property, and if this trend continues, I may start to stay more in offsite hotels, where the prices are more reasonable for what you get. Why are they toning down the theming of the WDW resort rooms?
It's cheaper to do plain decorations insead of carving Mickey & Minnie into the backs of wooden chairs. Sad but true. Disney is all about profit maximization now.

I feel a bit of dread every time I hear about another deluxe resort being refurbished. One of my WDW goals is to get one more long stay in at the Boardwalk Inn before they destroy (I mean "renovate") its gorgeous resort rooms.

This is sad to hear. DH and I spent a night or two at Pop Century Music years ago. We are going to POFQ in two weeks. I'm looking forward to waking up and knowing I am in a Disney hotel. We own a timeshare near AK and could just as easily stay there.

This is sad to hear. DH and I spent a night or two at Pop Century Music years ago. We are going to POFQ in two weeks. I'm looking forward to waking up and knowing I am in a Disney hotel. We own a timeshare near AK and could just as easily stay there.

I'm curious. Did you stay, and like , Pop Century Resort OR All Star Music Resort? There is no Pop Century Music. They are different resorts.
Thanks

It's cheaper to do plain decorations instead of carving Mickey & Minnie into the backs of wooden chairs. Sad but true. Disney is all about profit maximization now.
If that's the motivation, it will be interesting to see as time goes by, whether they lose revenue from the plainer rooms leading large numbers of guests to stay offsite, or whether a majority of guests find this a non-issue and don't much care what the inside of their room looks like.

I feel a bit of dread every time I hear about another deluxe resort being refurbished. One of my WDW goals is to get one more long stay in at the Boardwalk Inn before they destroy (I mean "renovate") its gorgeous resort rooms.
I relate to this sentiment.

I also wonder if the décor changes are related to a rumor I read that Disney is developing a new technology for projecting images onto room walls (sort of like the technology of the Celebrate the Magic or Happily Ever After shows, but in a much smaller space). If so, plain white walls in a room may be a better projection screen. And the trend could be towards theming with projected images instead of with actual objects in the room décor. I can't say for sure which way I'd prefer, without seeing how the projections turn out, but if this was their motivator, then at least there would be a "method to the madness", as the saying goes.

Last edited:
Could not agree more. What's the point of staying there if you feel like you are at a Holiday Inn Express. When my kids were young, they absolutely loved the theming in the rooms - and so did I.

Agree with much of this, but will say I don't stay on property for the theme- I do it for the convenience and amenities and those still exist.

I mean, if they stripped down the lobbies I would stay at four seasons rather than AKL but the overall resort themes aren't going anywhere- just the room stuff, and I only sleep in my room.
We stay at POFQ for it being on property, the boat to DS and not needing to rent a car. I have never needed the in room theming but I am a less is more person regarding furnishing. The Disney immersion for me is not seeing a multiple chain restaurants and drug stores on my trip to the park from the hotel.

Could not agree more. What's the point of staying there if you feel like you are at a Holiday Inn Express. When my kids were young, they absolutely loved the theming in the rooms - and so did I.

Onsite amenities. I realize people do love the theming; however, I don't spend money on onsite hotels primarily for theming. If I did, I would always stay at AKL. But I can resort hop to experience the restaurants and theming.

I don't think most people's reasoning for staying on property boils down to theming. I would bet things like EMH, fastpasses, magical express, and convenience/time saving all play a more prominent role in that decision.

I agree with this.

Keep the theming in the main area of the resort. The grounds, the lobby, the pools, etc. I prefer that the rooms are less themed because to me that means they are "calmer". I don't need crazy, in your face, and busy when it comes to the place I sleep. I get enough of that in the parks! I need someplace I can rest and relax.

Plus, I personally prefer the new aesthetic.

I'm curious. Did you stay, and like , Pop Century Resort OR All Star Music Resort? There is no Pop Century Music. They are different resorts.
Thanks
Ha, ha. That's how long ago it was. All Star Music. Is there a sports theme too? I stayed there with someone. Could have been a boyfriend (pre-husband).

Plain is "classier"? Have you ever seen Buckingham Palace?

White linens are classier and on trend. The rooms don't need to have the theme shoved in your face for it to be themed. Beach Club was so ugly before, IMO. I love the new rooms. Same goes for several other resorts.

And yes, I have seen Buckingham Palace - in person. Not really sure what that has to do with anything. Because it's a palace, it's automatically classy? LOL

Last edited:
Answer: $$$.

That is all.

Generic furniture is easier to replace than custom made. It's also cheaper. So while the rates skyrocket, the quality decreases.... y'know, like the food.

Or it appeals to a broader group of people because it's more universal. Too much theming in my room is just tacky. It's why we would never stay at AoA...there's too much going on in those suites, for us. I like calm and relaxing...and a more streamlined look helps with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter