What's NOT in the Fine Print from yesterday.

AKVHutch

Earning My Ears
After placing 150 calls & a 50 minute wait on hold (glad my charger was close), I was ready to finally take care of the 181 points I regained when my May reservation was cancelled.

To set the table, I have an August use year, 170 2019 banked points and 11 2020 points. I have used all the rest of my 2020 points to book 2 weeks at Jambo Club Level. So to book anything before August 1, 2021 I would have to borrow points.

To quote from the text of the email yesterday "... we are further changing and extending our temporary policies regarding expiring points. April, June and now August, September and October 2019 Use Year points that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for reservations during the closure period will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. Additionally, April, June and now August, September and October 2018 Use Year points that were banked into 2019 Use Years and used for these reservations will now all expire November 30, 2020. This temporary policy only includes expiring points that were used to book a stay arriving between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29."

Now to my way of reading this, I should be able to use my 170 points to book something in November.

BUT WAIT A MINUTE, DISNEY ICE CREAM BAR BREATH
No so!!!!
I was informed that DVC would be "gifting me" back that 170 points after mine expired at midnight 7/31. Then I would have until 11/30 to use them & nobody can change that fact. I have looked at reservations in September, October, November and I can well imagine that what is available today will be long gone on August 1. I won't even get into the idea of gifting me my points back. Facing facts, I'm somewhat ahead of the poor guys with September & October use years in that regard, because they will only have 60 days to work that in.

I have long felt that Disney was getting more & more arrogant in their treatment of the DVC built-in market. I have watched as Disney has jumped through every hoop imaginable to make cash customers whole plus a little with add-ons etc. But this really both saddens and infuriates me. I don't mind that I only have a couple of months even though I have a great sob story as to why I couldn't go last year and had to bank, but that's not the point. The point is those are my points & DVC management is not allowing me a reasonable chance to use those points.

So, be advised, the devil is in the details and the details are not in the email.

Thanks ever so much DVC Management with your arrogant and cavalier attitude towards the membership, I'm certainly starting to question my ownership after 12 happy years & over 20 trips.

Here's hoping I can still make some magic with these points on August 1?

This does sort of explain how they got around points being double banked.

It sounds,,,and you are the second person who has mentioned this,,,that the extended 2018 banked points are not really an owners points,

They are DVD owned points. Which, on one hand, is probably good because it means they aren’t using them to sell cash rooms.

The bad news is that the extension isn’t as gracious as it sounds, especially since it has been reported that they can’t even be used in a reservation already made to free up an owners other points.

I agree...this is pretty useless for Sept and Oct UY. I am so sorry it’s not what you had hoped.

You may find some availability. there will be significant numbers of people who will not go until they feel safe.

People have posted a recent Disney survey about people’s vacation plans, so they may have a good idea how the numbers will shake out.

After placing 150 calls & a 50 minute wait on hold (glad my charger was close), I was ready to finally take care of the 181 points I regained when my May reservation was cancelled.

To set the table, I have an August use year, 170 2019 banked points and 11 2020 points. I have used all the rest of my 2020 points to book 2 weeks at Jambo Club Level. So to book anything before August 1, 2021 I would have to borrow points.

To quote from the text of the email yesterday "... we are further changing and extending our temporary policies regarding expiring points. April, June and now August, September and October 2019 Use Year points that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for reservations during the closure period will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. Additionally, April, June and now August, September and October 2018 Use Year points that were banked into 2019 Use Years and used for these reservations will now all expire November 30, 2020. This temporary policy only includes expiring points that were used to book a stay arriving between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29."

Now to my way of reading this, I should be able to use my 170 points to book something in November.

BUT WAIT A MINUTE, DISNEY ICE CREAM BAR BREATH
No so!!!!
I was informed that DVC would be "gifting me" back that 170 points after mine expired at midnight 7/31. Then I would have until 11/30 to use them & nobody can change that fact. I have looked at reservations in September, October, November and I can well imagine that what is available today will be long gone on August 1. I won't even get into the idea of gifting me my points back. Facing facts, I'm somewhat ahead of the poor guys with September & October use years in that regard, because they will only have 60 days to work that in.

I have long felt that Disney was getting more & more arrogant in their treatment of the DVC built-in market. I have watched as Disney has jumped through every hoop imaginable to make cash customers whole plus a little with add-ons etc. But this really both saddens and infuriates me. I don't mind that I only have a couple of months even though I have a great sob story as to why I couldn't go last year and had to bank, but that's not the point. The point is those are my points & DVC management is not allowing me a reasonable chance to use those points.

So, be advised, the devil is in the details and the details are not in the email.

Thanks ever so much DVC Management with your arrogant and cavalier attitude towards the membership, I'm certainly starting to question my ownership after 12 happy years & over 20 trips.

Here's hoping I can still make some magic with these points on August 1?

You must mean 170 banked 2018 points, not banked 2019 points, correct? Otherwise it would have been current Aug 2019 points you were using and the banking deadline has been extended for them. It's different than what's happening with expiring banked 2018 points.

You must mean 170 banked 2018 points, not banked 2019 points, correct? Otherwise it would have been current Aug 2019 points you were using and the banking deadline has been extended for them. It's different than what's happening with expiring banked 2018 points.

I was also slightly confused, this reads as though it should be August 2018 banked points.

This is all a bit of a roller coaster now as I was elated about point extensions, but obviously the devil's in the details, and this is turning out to be a big headache in practice. It's also early, I question if what everyone is hearing from MS is consistent. Anxious to see how this all shakes out!

This does sort of explain how they got around points being double banked.

It sounds,,,and you are the second person who has mentioned this,,,that the extended 2018 banked points are not really an owners points,

They are DVD owned points. Which, on one hand, is probably good because it means they aren’t using them to sell cash rooms.

The bad news is that the extension isn’t as gracious as it sounds, especially since it has been reported that they can’t even be used in a reservation already made to free up an owners other points.

I agree...this is pretty useless for Sept and Oct UY. I am so sorry it’s not what you had hoped.

Question about what you wrote. I’m a June UY with 90 points set to expire at the end of this month that will be extended until the end of November. I actually have 3 stays already booked between July and November. Will I not be able to get those 90 points to replace any of those stats so that they are used up first especially since there is no way for me to do this myself online?

Question about what you wrote. I’m a June UY with 90 points set to expire at the end of this month that will be extended until the end of November. I actually have 3 stays already booked between July and November. Will I not be able to get those 90 points to replace any of those stats so that they are used up first especially since there is no way for me to do this myself online?
From what I’ve been told, no. The points that are set to expire in November can not be re-allocated to a current reservation. You will need a new reservation. If the rooms you currently have booked are still available by the time they extend points, you can have a new reservation made and your current canceled. If the room isn’t available, you will have to have MS cancel your room and book with the extended points and pray someone doesn’t grab the room before MS completes the transaction.

I told MS I would just accept the points as lost because we all know what the room inventory currently looks like.. They were like “they’re not lost, you can still use them.” :sad2:

That is what it sounds like, If they did indeed extend to owners by using their own points, then they may be treating them like OTU points which can only be used in new reservations.

Unfortunately, you won’t have any access until next week, and with it being so busy, people are trying to get confirmation on the policy.

ETA: My thoughts on these points is just a theory..I don’t have inside info that is what they did, but the rules being reported make me believe they aren’t those actual points.

That is what it sounds like, If they did indeed extend to owners by using their own points, then they may be treating them like OTU points which can only be used in new reservations.

Unfortunately, you won’t have any access until next week, and with it being so busy, people are trying to get confirmation on the policy.
Ugh! Guess I’ll be calling them next week and waiting on the phone for however long I need to.

Ugh! Guess I’ll be calling them next week and waiting on the phone for however long I need to.

You could also send an email today to ask about the policy? You could get an answer by next week while you are waiting to call!

I did that I sent an email, this is ridiculous. And come Jan we will be required to pay Dues?? for what!

While I do think the rules should be shared, to be fair, they were not under any obligation to extend them,

Granted, the restrIctions are not the best, but there will be some owners who may be able to grade a nigh or two with them

When this all started, many knew that whatever decisions were made on how to deal with the closure were not going to work for all, and for every situation.

You can’t have 12 weeks of rooms disappear and expect that as owners, we won’t feel that in some way or another and that not all points will be saved.

I do get your frustration, especially with the change in policy that was shared with you last month. Lets see how things play out as things could continue to be a moving target,

And, with all the new info regarding no FPs, dining plans, etc. there very well could be rooms left for you to book next week that are the same as what you have.,.or at least at a different place to use them up.

While I do think the rules should be shared, to be fair, they were not under any obligation to extend them,

Granted, the restrIctions are not the best, but there will be some owners who may be able to grade a nigh or two with them

When this all started, many knew that whatever decisions were made on how to deal with the closure were not going to work for all, and for every situation.

You can’t have 12 weeks of rooms disappear and expect that as owners, we won’t feel that in some way or another and that not all points will be saved.

I do get your frustration, especially with the change in policy that was shared with you last month. Lets see how things play out as things could continue to be a moving target,

And, with all the new info regarding no FPs, dining plans, etc. there very well could be rooms left for you to book next week that are the same as what you have.,.or at least at a different place to use them up.
agree! just hard to be hopeful when they keep changing what is allowed. Already so much uncertainty going on in the world. This just adds to it. But I get it!

agree! just hard to be hopeful when they keep changing what is allowed. Already so much uncertainty going on in the world. This just adds to it. But I get it!

My fingers are crossed that you will be able to use them and adjust! I keep seeing so much change, even in September right now!

pixiedust:

This is so confusing! I was told that after June 10th, once the points move (?), then I could call and see if they could be used for a current Dec reservation. (which I don't know if we will keep) I didn't understand what MS meant by seeing the points move, and it never was explained to me. However, this is sounding worse and worse. So we have to wait until the points actually expire before we can see if there is any availablility? For Aug UY, that means after July 31st. But wait, what if there isn't any availability? The deadline for RCI is June 17th. There's no way of knowing on June 17th if we will be able to book a reservation after July 31st, and complete our stay before Dec 1st. We also have banked 2018 points in Sept and Oct UY, but the bulk of them is in an Aug UY. So for our Oct UY, we have only 2 months from the original expiration date to the new expiration date. This will be very hard to do, and with everyone trying to use their points before Nov 30th.

I think they should have given a 6 month (or longer) extension for these UY's. That would give owners a period of time to actually find availability and use the points, as well as spreading these expiring points out over a greater period of time.

This is so confusing! I was told that after June 10th, once the points move (?), then I could call and see if they could be used for a current Dec reservation. (which I don't know if we will keep) I didn't understand what MS meant by seeing the points move, and it never was explained to me. However, this is sounding worse and worse. So we have to wait until the points actually expire before we can see if there is any availablility? For Aug UY, that means after July 31st. But wait, what if there isn't any availability? The deadline for RCI is June 17th. There's no way of knowing on June 17th if we will be able to book a reservation after July 31st, and complete our stay before Dec 1st. We also have banked 2018 points in Sept and Oct UY, but the bulk of them is in an Aug UY. So for our Oct UY, we have only 2 months from the original expiration date to the new expiration date. This will be very hard to do, and with everyone trying to use their points before Nov 30th.

I think they should have given a 6 month (or longer) extension for these UY's. That would give owners a period of time to actually find availability and use the points, as well as spreading these expiring points out over a greater period of time.

You seem to have it all correct based on the reports so far at least for banked 2018 points.

It is not clear...and has not yet been reported, when they will be doing the late banking for 2019 points that were in canceled reservations,

The only piece of bad news I have read is that if someone booked those points from the canceled reservation into a new one for a time that is not open, it voids the ability to receive the extension or late banking,

I have sent an email regarding this as I have 15 points...not a big deal...that did come from a reservation with one day during closure but it’s been moved and changed a lot, I’ll report back when I hear...but not expecting to for at least a week as I assume they are swamped.

And those owners to understood the rules of the legal contract that they purchased should be graciously giving you that correct.

This thread and so many others miss the point that any changes to your points impact other members. Disney actually did a great thing in taking their own points to give them out instead of selling them.

I know it sucks and I would be mad as well but remeber we are all under legal real estate contracts.

Also by the way from March/April to November is 8-9 months.

And those owners to understood the rules of the legal contract that they purchased should be graciously giving you that correct.

This thread and so many others miss the point that any changes to your points impact other members. Disney actually did a great thing in taking their own points to give them out instead of selling them.

I know it sucks and I would be mad as well but remeber we are all under legal real estate contracts.

Clarify one point,,,even though there is 8 to 9 months until expiration..members can’t actually book beyond the expiration with them until they expire,

So, those with say, Sept UY, can’t book Sept to November...the extension timeframe, until at least Sept 1st...which really gives them 3 months to secure a room with them as it sounds like they will not allow them to be put in current reservations,

Other than that, I agree with you that they could have just let them expire and given owners no access to additional points, there will be some owners who find something.

It’s a rough situation all the way around and not everyone will be happy..and it’s okay to not be...just have to realize no good answers.

This is the line I was selling a couple of months back. Then Disney did what many wanted but was somewhat unexpected by long term members. Restored life to expiring points. I had expiring points in the mix. Mine were not restored. Until yesterday when they were given an extra 2 months of life. I have October use years. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get some use out of them. No trip planned until November which is pretty much sold out.

Book and try to rent? Considered but rejected this approach.

Anyway, not making much of a point here. But, I sympathize with losing points but I don't think anyone is owed restitution for this event. Nice if it happens but it's a life event.

Do we know that Disney is giving their own points? What Disney had stated earlier was that they would not book their own points to allow more availability for members. Shortly after someone reported purchasing points.

It seems to me that whatever is 'given' or whatever rules are bent and made, should be appreciated as an attempt to ease a no win situation. Over the 50 year length of contracts, this is an anomaly that Disney couldn't foresee or prevent.

I'm grateful for the Disney company. Their concepts and product gives me much joy. Right now I think they need some support from us.

This is the line I was selling a couple of months back. Then Disney did what many wanted but was somewhat unexpected by long term members. Restored life to expiring points. I had expiring points in the mix. Mine were not restored. Until yesterday when they were given an extra 2 months of life. I have October use years. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get some use out of them. No trip planned until November which is pretty much sold out.

Book and try to rent? Considered but rejected this approach.

Anyway, not making much of a point here. But, I sympathize with losing points but I don't think anyone is owed restitution for this event. Nice if it happens but it's a life event.

Do we know that Disney is giving their own points? What Disney had stated earlier was that they would not book their own points to allow more availability for members. Shortly after someone reported purchasing points.

It seems to me that whatever is 'given' or whatever rules are bent and made, should be appreciated as an attempt to ease a no win situation. Over the 50 year length of contracts, this is an anomaly that Disney couldn't foresee or prevent.

I'm grateful for the Disney company. Their concepts and product gives me much joy. Right now I think they need some support from us.

We do not have confirmation that the points being used are DVD points. However, some of the comments by CMs, the use rules, and speculation by owners like me, lead to the conclusion that the points may not be the exact same ones.

If they do belong to Disney, they would only need to be 2019 points to be bookable,

The 2018 points seem to be only available for extension once they have expired. My thought was DVC did this so owners who already booked a trip using them might not take the extension.

As you say, they didn’t have to do anything but decided to give people at least a few months to maybe add a night here or there based on availability. Sure, for many, it may turn out to be useless, but with the movement I have seen in the fall with rooms, those will April and June UYs who will get them next week, may indeed get some use!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!