What's it like to tent camp in July/Aug???

poohlover

Fireworks at Magic Kingdom!
My DH has this idea to combine our annual summer camoing trip with Disney. While I am in favor of disney...I am concerned about tent camping in the summer.

Any experience here? Temps? The amount of rain? The bathrooms at the campground?

We have 6 kids & 2 adults. 2 Large tents that we sue each summer. Mostly I am concerned about the weather.

I have been there the past two Augusts. We were there the week after the 15th. It is hot but it was hotter in Jersey than in Florida.

There can be a lot of rain. We had a few afternoons of rain both times. Each time we had one afternoon where the rain was torential. What we did each time was put up a large tarp above the tents. We used ropes and stakes and the trees aroung the site. This kept the majority of the rain off the tents and we didn't have any problem.

The site will fit two large tents. Both times we set up two tents. The first August I went with another mother, my son and her three daughters. My neice joined us for a couple of days. The site also comes with a picnic table, water and electricity, which one time we used for those small box fans. My sons and I all now have battery operated fans but those cheap box fans and an extension cord works great and takes the edge off heat at night.

The bathrooms are great. They all have air conditioning and full showers. The laundry room is right there and so is a house phone. The ice machine is also by the rest station.

I personally like the 1500 loop especially the lower numbers. I have stayed in 1503 once and 1506 twice. They are near the rest station, and the bus stop. Across the road from the bus stop is the pool and past the pool is the Meadow Trading Post.

I think the end of AUgust is a perfect time if you can go then.

Don't forget that near the pool is the creek where you can canoe.

Have a great time

Dona

:wave: :wave: :wave2:

I have not tent camped in Ft. Wilderness in the summer but tent camped other places in the summer and all of the advice you just received is great!!

It will be hot! Make sure you rainproof your tent thoroughly. Always keep a fan running in there. The comfort stations are great!! Very clean and comfortable.

My favorite loop is 1500 as well! I like site 1503 better than 1506 because the pad is larger on 1503. With two tents and a rainfly, we were really tight on 1506.

Enjoy Ft. Wilderness!!!

Carol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter