Whats better to buy : Mucinex or Delsym?

mom2brina

Mouseketeer
We've got this terrible round of cough & flu going around. Luckily this is the first time we've been sick this year and I was at the store buying cough medicine and had no idea which is better. Both of these have different active ingredients. Any experience?

I've never tried Mucinex, but Delsym is GREAT! If you've never tried it before, be warned -- it has a very weird texture. IMO the grape is much better than the orange. As you can tell, I use this stuff a lot!

We use both. The delsym is a cough suppressant and the mucinex helps get rid of the mucus/chest congestion. Hope you are feeling better soon!

We use both. The delsym is a cough suppressant and the mucinex helps get rid of the mucus/chest congestion. Hope you are feeling better soon!

I agree. Use both, but use the regular Mucinex - not the MucinexD.

There are three main medications I keep on hand for colds: Sudafed (pseudephedrine avail. OTC at the pharmacy counter) which is a decongestant and clears congestion from nasal passages and such; Mucinex which is an expectorant and helps keep mucus loose; and Delsym which is a cough suppressant. Mucinex and Delsym pretty much have opposite effects on your body.... the Mucinex helps you cough up phlegm and the Delsym causes you to NOT cough. We often take Mucinex in the morning and Delsym at night (so we can sleep).

Our most-used cold relief medication, though, is Sudafed.

Why not Mucinex D? I just bought some of that and have been using it. What's up with it?

The reason I buy the Regular over the D is the D is pseudephedrine & sometimes I don't need the pseudephedrine, nose not running. Target has Genric Mucinex now.

Kae

Delsym is better for a dry hacking cough.

Mucinex (plain) is better for a wet cough, where you're mainly coughing to cough something up.

Mucinex DM combines the active ingredients of both and is best for a wet, constant cough. Store brand Robitussin DM has the same ingredients, but in a liquid form that has to be taken every 4-6 hours.

For me, when I was coughing my head off, Mucinex Max Strength worked. I was waking up at night and not able to function during the day. This stuff not only settled my cough, but helped break up the congestion. LOVE this stuff. For me, it worked better than my pricey rx. Hope you feel better soon. :sick:

Our Dr prescribes MucinexDM 12 hour. I say prescribe because even though it's an OTC medication in our area it's limited because all the drug addicts buy it to make meth.

I started getting a cold Wednesday, took 1 Thursday morning and another Friday morning. Saturday I didn't need anything, I'm all cleared up. :thumbsup2

Haven't tried Mucinex but I can tell you with the kids, if they cough through the Delsym, I take them into the doctor's office. In most cases, if they cough despite the Delsym, they've either got bronchitis or pneumonia.

I've got the cold coming back again because I've had way too much to do recently. I'm a mentor on a FIRST robotics team that seems to be cursed with many, many breakdowns. Soon I'll get a break for about a week and a half.

NHWX

we rarely use mucinex and have tried delysm. If my cough is that bad 9 times out of 10 I see our PMD and get the prescription strength cough medicine. dh and I get bronchitis maybe once per year that we need to use it.. as far as the kids- hardly ever. I actually was listening to a report about these over the counter meds such as mucinex, etc and how for the most part they are ineffective for younger children. now maybe when they become teenagers but thats about it..:confused3 I tend to agree they really havent done much for mine when I have tried it in the past..

Haven't tried Mucinex but I can tell you with the kids, if they cough through the Delsym, I take them into the doctor's office. In most cases, if they cough despite the Delsym, they've either got bronchitis or pneumonia.

I've got the cold coming back again because I've had way too much to do recently. I'm a mentor on a FIRST robotics team that seems to be cursed with many, many breakdowns. Soon I'll get a break for about a week and a half.

NHWX

My ds is coughing through the Delsym and he has been to the docs twice, no pneumonia or bronchitis. Its just a long lasting cold. I was thinking I would pick up some Mucinex for him, is there one for kids?

My ds has a bad cough right now and I'm just letting him cough it out for now. I do have Hylands cough syrup with honey that I give him occasionally during the day or at night before bed just to let him stop coughing long enough to fall asleep. I used to use Mucinex for him but after reading the ingredient list I'd rather him not have sucralose and the other added things in it. And for him it works just as well as Mucinex. I just think a cough is your body's way of clearing out the lungs and sometimes it may be best not to medicate.

Hello, I thought I would share my recent experience with you in case they have I have had.

I don't know if your family members actually have what me and my fiance have and what has been going around near me....but there has been a very bad chest cold virus going around where I live which causes alot of coughing and people have been having bronchial problems from it and it is lingering for about 2-3 months for alot of people. Also with me I believe I got a nasal cold on top of it during this one. I got sick New Years Eve and I am now still sick with bronchitis and it has caused me to have some asthma now.

I don't have insurance so I spoke with my doctor over the phone about 2-3 weeks into it and he advise me to take MucinexDM to help clear out the mucus and he also prescribed me a generic antibiotic. This helped with clearing out the mucus, however alot of the problem my fiance and I both have is with too much phlegm being produced. We both have been having horrible coughing fits and it caused us to choke as well and have trouble breathing. At the advisement of my doctor on a second call he told me to switch to robitussin and prescribed me a proventil inhaler. The inhaler really helped me to breath easier and reduce the coughing and choking.

I actually was still having alot of problems though about week ago so I finally made an office visit to the doctors and he gave me samples for a medicinal inhaler to use for 2 weeks and told me I had bronchitis which kicked up some asthma and was causing bronchial spasms.

I feel much better than I did before but about 6 weeks later I still am sick and feel crappy. My fiance has been sick for about 3 or 4 weeks now. Just wanted to share my experience in case it does end up being helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter